Shipping a laptop Computer Advice Needed?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Shipping a laptop Computer Advice Needed?

Post by demyansk »

Check this out, I go to order a MSI laptop this morning and want to ship it to TN. Guess what? --- $120.00 tax on the laptop due to it being TN. Therefore, if I ship to NY, no tax.

What does anyone recommend for sending the laptop through the mail from NY to TN?

USPS?
UPS?

Someone was saying in another forum about a flate rate box from Postal Service?
wings7

RE: Shipping a laptop Computer Advice Needed?

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Check this out, I go to order a MSI laptop this morning and want to ship it to TN. Guess what? --- $120.00 tax on the laptop due to it being TN. Therefore, if I ship to NY, no tax.

What does anyone recommend for sending the laptop through the mail from NY to TN?

USPS?
UPS?

Someone was saying in another forum about a flate rate box from Postal Service?

Either one is fine, although I would lean towards UPS...
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

In South Carolina we are responsible for taxes on purchases made out of state.

We pay these taxes in a "use" tax with our income tax return. You may have a similar system in Tennessee, in which case there is no gain from shipping to NY.

Chuck
Will_L_OLD

Post by Will_L_OLD »

Kind of the same in NY. Have to pay NY sales tax on purchases made where tax is not charged
or out of state purchase brought into NY which is done on state income tax form, instructions read,
"do not leave blank." You can keep track of your actual purchases and do the math, put in a suggested amount
($35 if I remember correctly) or make something up [;)] "$0, I didn't buy anything, I swear!" [:'(]
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I would never ship a computer through US postal service aka USPS. UPS or Fedex only for me.

If a business has stores or a presence in a state, then it is required to collect sales tax. So the place you bought it from probably doesn't have any stores or businesses in NY.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks guys, I am going to ship through FedEx.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Soon they will be taxing us for air. Oh wait I had to pay a $1 to air up my tires just the other day. [:D] It's funny how all this stuff used to be free when I was a kid. Airing your tires, buying things out of state, no tax. I wonder when they are going to tax food and medicine?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Soon they will be taxing us for air. Oh wait I had to pay a $1 to air up my tires just the other day. [:D] It's funny how all this stuff used to be free when I was a kid. Airing your tires, buying things out of state, no tax. I wonder when they are going to tax food and medicine?

[>:]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Will_L_OLD

Post by Will_L_OLD »

Don't use FedEx Ground, I had a laptop scheduled to be delivered on the 27th by them and they dropped at the wrong address.
Luckily it was delivered to a neighbor a block away that knows me and called to let me know where it was.
FedEx Ground used to be RDS.
ORIGINAL: demjansk

Thanks guys, I am going to ship through FedEx.

Return to “General Discussion”