Singapore

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LeeChard

Singapore

Post by LeeChard »

Playing Japan I took the Malay peninsula in good order and time according to history.
I have been pounding on the gates ever since. It has now been about 6 weeks.
I have plentiful supplies, moral is high but my fatigue is getting into the 80's.
If I need more troops where would I get them from?
Yakface

RE: Singapore

Post by Yakface »

Hi there Ranger

Before answering your question, just going to make another suggestion. If your fatigue is getting into the 80's it sounds as if you are not giving your men enough of a rest between attacks.

After an attack it is best to let your men rest until fatigue is around 20-25 before thinking of attacking again. One attack every 5 or so days is probably optimal.

Stop the defenders building more forts between attacks by bombing the airfield and port (which the engineers are obliged to repair before building more defences......they ain't very bright like that).

If you are up against 3 divisions (18th, 11th and 9th) plus the Australian brigades and various other bits a pieces, you would want to bring at least 6 divisions to the fight IMO.

To answer your original question. You can steal some divisions from Manchuria (be careful of not dropping below the Russian garrison level). You will need to assign them to an unrestricted command using political points or you will not be able to load them on ships. Costs about 1500-2000 PP to buy a division
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

In one of my PBEMs I am holding off 8 full divisions and assorted support. I have been under full siege for 10 weeks. It will fall soon but it's been a wonderful speed bump! Make sure your divisions are all re-attached. Make sure you have adequate HQ and Eng support. I think once you have jumped the strait that it may be a good idea to rotate the most fatigued back to Johore to rest. Make sure you leave lots of AV in Sing so that when they rotate back in that it doesn't trigger a fresh shock attack. Oh, make sure you maintain daily bombing as it diverts Engs from rebuilding forts as they prioritize Airfields etc. Finally, be patient and very careful about shock attacking!!
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

Could you post the portion of the combat report that covers the Singapore battle - might be some other suggestions people can make.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

I bypassed and landed in palembang and then quickly setup a AF which helped to overrun the Dutch islands. All the time SG was invested by some infantry units and few arty. Once the Dutch were out of the game, I returned back and picked the 'fruit' from the tree. Using the fresh troops to attack the Dutch islands and then using their supply to help to attack SG was a better - if not gamey I admit - strategy. I was always worried that my opponent can decide to fortify the Dutch islands and further slowing me down.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

I bypassed and landed in palembang and then quickly setup a AF which helped to overrun the Dutch islands. All the time SG was invested by some infantry units and few arty. Once the Dutch were out of the game, I returned back and picked the 'fruit' from the tree. Using the fresh troops to attack the Dutch islands and then using their supply to help to attack SG was a better - if not gamey I admit - strategy. I was always worried that my opponent can decide to fortify the Dutch islands and further slowing me down.

Why would you say it was gamey? "Island hopping" isn't gamey; why would Singapore hopping be gamey?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
btd64

Post by btd64 »

It's not. It's kind of like skipping a test question and going back to it later....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Winning the game is by definition "gamey". [;)]

Marshall

Post by Marshall »

Cut off Singapore with air power, and over land.Stop the flow of supplies.
use artillary to bombard every turn, bomb the airfields and ports until the enemy runs out of supply (even his flak consumes supplies.
Do not assault blindly, just pick your fights, one assault every week (make sure you have enough forces).
Rest your troops and rotate them.

Singapore is a death trap for the allied player, if cut off in time.
Same for Bataan.
DR
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Right on! What some might call "gamey," perhaps because it wasn't how history unfolded, another might call "strategic" because it is smarter than how the historical decisions unfolded.

Of course, hindsights are 20/20 and in reality there were probably a lot of things we can now be confident of which, those making decisions at the time had only murky understandings. Add to this that: no single agent was actually in charge of controlling the entire theatre (at least not to the level of detail afforded by the game) -> the whole game is gamey! [:D]

I tend towards an interest in "alternate history" or "what if" scenarios, so merely replaying history has never had much interest to me. So I tend to be in favor of whacky stuff that could be seen as wildly improbable given actual history . . . but then I've rarely had such stuff used against me in PBEMs so maybe I just haven't developed an allergy to "gamey" play yet [:'(]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Right off! I'm only interested in scenarios as historical as possible, and not in exploiting weaknesses in the game, and there really aren't that many. What problems there are aren't solved by home rules but by rational behavior on the player's part. If the Japanese player employs strategic bombing outside of China in '42, that's the sort of thing people complain about as being "gamey". If you're into "what if's" let's play. You get what the game gives you and I get Gorn Battlecruisers.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Right on! What some might call "gamey," perhaps because it wasn't how history unfolded, another might call "strategic" because it is smarter than how the historical decisions unfolded.

Of course, hindsights are 20/20 and in reality there were probably a lot of things we can now be confident of which, those making decisions at the time had only murky understandings. Add to this that: no single agent was actually in charge of controlling the entire theatre (at least not to the level of detail afforded by the game) -> the whole game is gamey! [:D]

I tend towards an interest in "alternate history" or "what if" scenarios, so merely replaying history has never had much interest to me. So I tend to be in favor of whacky stuff that could be seen as wildly improbable given actual history . . . but then I've rarely had such stuff used against me in PBEMs so maybe I just haven't developed an allergy to "gamey" play yet [:'(]
As long as it is "plausible" with the forces you have I agree with trying different strategies. After all, in 1940 no one thought the German main attack on France would/could come through the Ardennes. I am sure the allied generals thought it was pretty gamey of them to do that!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
101Man

Post by 101Man »

Or if Percival did not surrender without a fight...that isn't gamey as well...I fought on and it's now October '43 and pretty much over for Japan...part of the reason is I held onto Singapore, Sumatra and Java.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Could you post the portion of the combat report that covers the Singapore battle - might be some other suggestions people can make.
Unfortunately I don't play in windows so I don't know how to snip an example to post. But all the suggestions have
given me ideas.
I have a save that dates to the time just before my troops cross the river.
I'll go back and give it another go.
Thanks for the tips
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Unfortunately I don't play in windows so I don't know how to snip an example to post. But all the suggestions have
given me ideas.
Thanks for the tips
There must be a way in whatever O/S you are using to do a "screen capture"? After you have your screen captured image you can edit it how you like in a picture editing program and save it as a JPG file format.

After that, go to the forum and start a posting in whatever thread you want, put in the text you need to introduce your screen shot and then:

- click on the box "Embed picture in post"
- Click on the text "Click here to upload"
- navigate to where the screenshot JPG is on your system and select it
- click "OK" when it asks which picture to 'open'
- keep clicking OK until you are returned to your not-yet-posted text, then click OK to that. It should then be posted with the screenshot after the text.

If you attempt to post and it says the file is too big, you need to trim it down in size or resolution before attempting to upload it again.

It sounds complicated but do it once and you will know how.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

given me ideas.
Thanks for the tips

There are screenshot programs that don't care if you're in Windows or not. Most of the time I use WisdomSoft which takes over your F6 key even if you load the game afterward.

LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Unfortunately I have already gone back to the river crossing save so I can't get you folks a screenshot
of my failed attempt. My wife is a computer whiz so in the future I'll have something to show.
I'm moving INF and ART units out of Manchukuo. It looks like there is a lot of room in the garrison level
to allow the reductions of troop forces.
The ART units are fairly cheap to change command so I'm bringing out some heavy stuff.
I was apparently going wrong with my previous assault by pressing constant deliberate attacks thinking I would
ware down the frontline troops.
I'm also shifting some Bettys from the Philippines. I figure the troops on Corregidor aren't going anywhere.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Unfortunately I have already gone back to the river crossing save so I can't get you folks a screenshot
of my failed attempt. My wife is a computer whiz so in the future I'll have something to show.
I'm moving INF and ART units out of Manchukuo. It looks like there is a lot of room in the garrison level
to allow the reductions of troop forces.
The ART units are fairly cheap to change command so I'm bringing out some heavy stuff.
I was apparently going wrong with my previous assault by pressing constant deliberate attacks thinking I would
ware down the frontline troops.
I'm also shifting some Bettys from the Philippines. I figure the troops on Corregidor aren't going anywhere.

What you state goes against conventional wisdom concerning the game.

Artillery units are the most expensive LCU type to purchase for their given size.
Hans

Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Hans, but you also need those units as IJA side - because the arty inside the divs is mostly only up to 75mm (with some few exceptions having some 10cm). Brits and US units have plenty of 105 and 25pdr as organic arty already
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Not 'gamey'. Everyone I'm sure has a different definition of 'gamey', just as there're many preferences of game play. To me something is 'gamey' if it takes advantage of some shortcoming of the program code. Not that the code is poor or bad or 'borked', you just can't cover all possible outcomes all the time. This is just a strategy that goes for Singers a bit later, and one that I agree is not a bad option. This way you can keep your opponent guessing as well.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”