Questions from Soviet player playing Axis

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Questions from Soviet player playing Axis

Post by wga8888 »

I have played about 6 scenarios in T11 of a campaign game, all as Soviets, all vs human opposition.

I have started another campaign as Axis vs on of these past opponents am faced with new paradoxes. Both of us are retired folk and casual players so goal is to just play competently.
1) I have lots of APs piling up but what does a Axis player do with them? There is nothing in the pool to build, no need for forts, no incompetent leaders to be replaced, no airgroups to build, no forces to reorganize. These are the common things that drive Soviet play who is always short of APs.
2) Germany is exporting He111H-3s to Slovakia but Slovakia does not start with any level bomber groups to make us of the He111s. Will they get one or more later? The Info/Reinforcement tab focuses on ground troops not air groups.
4) Does Finland ever get gifted some decent planes? They have a polyglot of obsolete plane cast-offs. Fortunately they will be fighting Soviets and inferior Soviet pilots.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
821Bobo

RE: Questions from Soviet player playing Axis

Post by 821Bobo »

1) There are always some leaders which can be replaced for better ones. You can also build fortified regions. They will help to dig defensive lines for upcoming winter.
2) No, Slovakia won't get bomber squadrons. In the reinforcement tab you can switch between ground and air. Its in the right side up.
3) Yes, later in war Germany will export Bf 109 G to Finland.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

You might want to rebalance AGS - which is grossly overloaded. If I recall you have a Romanian army reporting to it ... so swap that over to the Romanian commands. That will burn off 90 or so Admin Pts.

There are few other quite expensive army re-assignments that become logical as the game goes on (4 PzA/Grp is one that will tend to move out of AGN) so well worth saving admin pts up for.

Also you may want to swap your commanders around.

Most of these are 'voluntary' uses, but well worth saving up for.
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Thanks. Both myself and opponent are operation without a planning staff.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Another use for APs is stripping Flak Regiments out of the Cities at 50 AP a pop.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

And if you don't have the AP, you can reduce the TOE of them to 20% and they should slowly send their equipment to the pool until at 25% if I understand things right.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

IMO starting as soon as Turn 1, the Axis should be doing a major Evaluation of his Officers and optimizing them continually in '41. And did anyone mention using AP's for HQBU? Key use it seems.
Part of history is facts. The other part is what we find easier to believe.

Walter Darby Bannard
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

APs vital in the early turns as the Wehrmacht set-up is a bit of a shambles. See early part my AAR vs Brian. Then they are well spent on making sure that key corps/armies have the best commanders and SUs and swapping divs around for maximum efficiency in combats and minimising HQs being overloaded, and doing HQBUs. Later, forts (depending on how it's going).

Same for soviets although priorities are going to be different.

If either side is wasting APs by reaching the hoarding limit in at least the first 2 or 3 years, or are not spending almost all every turn in '41, they are not being used properly.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Return to “The War Room”