Aquestion about Fortifacations

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BillBrown

Aquestion about Fortifacations

Post by BillBrown »

I know that defending with fortifications benefits the defender.
Do they also benefit an attacker? I have units in a base hex I
own and my opponent has troops there. If I attack with level 6
fortifications will my losses be lower than if I only had level 3
fortifications?
btd64

RE: Aquestion about Fortifacations

Post by btd64 »

You own the location, so no, the enemy would get no benefit. Your forts would not help you....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

You own the location, so no, the enemy would get no benefit. Your forts would not help you....GP
But the enemy can build "field forts" up to level 4 if he has been there long enough and has enough engineers. But his biggest asset is usually the terrain when you attack.

The enemy does get the benefit of base size when malarial effects are applied. I guess the developers assumed they would be within your mosquito eradication efforts.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I think you're misunderstanding. I believe he's asking if he owns the hex and is fortified there, if he benefits when he attacks an interloper.

btd64

Post by btd64 »

I've never seen a fort modifier for the attacker when attacking an enemy in its own hex. You have to figure that the troops left there forts to attack....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think you're misunderstanding. I believe he's asking if he owns the hex and is fortified there, if he benefits when he attacks an interloper.
No, I understand the second sentence question which Gen. Patton has answered adequately. The first sentence of the OP sounds like it is querying the benefits to both sides (the attacker), so I wanted to add some other forts facts that newcomers may not know about.

The notion that the enemy gets a benefit from being in a built-up hex could have stemmed from the malaria reduction effect but gotten crossed up with forts. (Such crossing of the game's processes happens all the time).

And since the OP starts out by asking if forts "benefit an attacker" and only in a new sentence specifies benefit to the hex owner I mentioned field forts in case readers were also wondering about whether the enemy has any fort benefits at all.

Just trying to be thorough.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

The Gorn understands the question. I did not ask if I got any combat bonus, I asked if my losses would be
lower if I had level 6 forts rather than level 3 forts. Since no one seems to know, I will withdraw the question.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Well, I would think there would be a lower chance of being reversed and losing the hex, as sometimes but rarely happens.

btd64

Post by btd64 »

Bill, On the defensive yes, On the offensive no. In terms of reducing losses. Thats with any fort size. The level of forts lets you last longer against your enemy. Sorry but my eyes sometimes reverse what I read. It sucks....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

The Gorn understands the question. I did not ask if I got any combat bonus, I asked if my losses would be
lower if I had level 6 forts rather than level 3 forts. Since no one seems to know, I will withdraw the question.
Unequivocally, my experience is that you leave the forts to attack, so your fort level does not affect the combat calculations. If it did you would get a Forts + in the combat report.

That said, the Japanese always attack first in a given hex, so if both sides program an attack in a Japanese hex with forts and the Japanese attack does not retreat the Allies, I am not sure if the Japanese get to retreat back behind their forts before the Allied attack.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

But the enemy can build "field forts" up to level 4 if he has been there long enough and has enough engineers. But his biggest asset is usually the terrain when you attack.

Tangential to the OP's question, but field forts can go above 4. Right now in one location I have an experienced ID with field forts of 7.
The Moose
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Tangential to the OP's question, but field forts can go above 4. Right now in one location I have an experienced ID with field forts of 7.
Haven't seen that myself Bullwinkle, so thanks for updating the info!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Haven't seen that myself Bullwinkle, so thanks for updating the info!

Just checked. An ID is at 5. A battalion nearby is at 7. It's rare, and they have to squat awhile, but it can happen.
The Moose
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Just checked. An ID is at 5. A battalion nearby is at 7. It's rare, and they have to squat awhile, but it can happen.
One of Chinese HQs in the woods near Ichang starts the game with field forts 9. Must've lived there since Ice Age
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Wait a minute, are we talking about fortifications or latrines?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you have a level 7 latrine, does that come with toilet paper or do you have to supply your own leaves?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Are leaves and TP devices, and how many PPs for each?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Are leaves and TP devices, and how many PPs for each?
Just supply. But you need to have 10K supply to upgrade from leaves to TP and another 10K for each ply of the TP. The upgrade to two-ply isn't available until May 1942, three-ply in August 1943. I have never bothered with the upgrade to four-ply - most of that goes to the ETO anyway.

Latrine upgrades can be worthwhile. At level six you get screening against flies - good for reducing casualties due to disease. But you need at least level 8 to get air fresheners, and those are only the trucker pine scented ones.

At level 10 you get the "washroom attendant" to meter out a few squares of TP but they also clean up the water drips around the sinks.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Are you talking about these? I'm surprised Matrix allows a thread with questions about fornications. Something has to be done about this.

Bill Olson: Settle down Roseanne, the questions are about fortifications.

Roseanne: Oh, well, never mind.

Attachments
trucker.jpg
trucker.jpg (18.37 KiB) Viewed 107 times

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

In the US Civil War, a soldier groaned about having dug so many fortifications that they should be called 'fiftyfications'.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”