Best wargame for me?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jakers123

Best wargame for me?

Post by Jakers123 »

Hi everyone, I have an ,,obsession" with realistic (war)games and I'm trying to find the best and most detailed one to make my own scenarios. Real time games have the advantage, but I'll take any suggestions, also it doesn't matter if its something like Toaw, hearts of iron or even Arma.

The scenarios that I primarily want to create are about wars in the Balkans, so Serbia, Croatia, Albania,etc. I know it probably sounds too specific at the first glance, but it really isn't, for example Toaw 3 has Yugoslav M-84 tank and BVP M-80 IFV, WINSPMBT has them and everything else I could ask for, plus those vehicles are pretty similar to Soviet T-72 and BMP-2,etc, so finding the units themselves is not the problem, the problem is in the game mechanics.

I am currently using CM Black Sea and Toaw, but Toaw is too arcadish for my taste and winspmbt has a turn system that I can't stand at all. In theory POA2 would be perfect for me, even though it doesn't have the exact units I'm looking for, but its really non-user friendly, its hard to orient yourself on the map and so on

Other than those few that I mentioned I don't really know which games are there, maybe Flashpoint campaigns, but can you create your own maps there?
Twotribes

RE: Best wargame for me?

Post by Twotribes »

A generic game that you can design your own units for is Advanced tactics Gold.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You might try Panzer Command: Osfront. It's in the russian front area so you might get what you want. It's sort of a wego real time system and is quite fun and better than the Combat Mission series in the AI category.
Jakers123

Post by Jakers123 »

I'll take a look at AT:G, I played it a long, long time ago and I forgot everything about it, but I think that there aren't real units there, just generic class 1,2,3 units, but maybe I'm wrong.

Panzer Command: Ostfront looks nice, but it is ww2 only, I need something that has modern units, so that I could create Yugoslav war scenarios, perhaps Ukraine war, Syrian war scenarios,etc. Toaw, winspmbt, poa 2 can all do that, but each of them has at least one very bad thing about them unfortunately.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

POA2 is a horrible mess - for me at least. Not sure why CM2 Black Sea doesn't work for you. There is also Armored Brigade, which is currently a free wargame - just google it.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Jakers123

I'll take a look at AT:G, I played it a long, long time ago and I forgot everything about it, but I think that there aren't real units there, just generic class 1,2,3 units, but maybe I'm wrong.

Panzer Command: Ostfront looks nice, but it is ww2 only, I need something that has modern units, so that I could create Yugoslav war scenarios, perhaps Ukraine war, Syrian war scenarios,etc. Toaw, winspmbt, poa 2 can all do that, but each of them has at least one very bad thing about them unfortunately.
You can design any weapon system you want in ATG just need to do the work.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Jakers123

Post by Jakers123 »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

POA2 is a horrible mess - for me at least. Not sure why CM2 Black Sea doesn't work for you. There is also Armored Brigade, which is currently a free wargame - just google it.

Black Sea is good, actually its the best one I know, but the units are way too advanced for the Yugo scenarios that I want, all tanks more or less have ERA blocks, a lot have active protection, ability to shoot missiles, the infantry weapons are also more advanced, there are no T-55 tanks and so on..

I'm still mostly using Black Sea at the moment, despite these things, but it would be interesting to see if there is something out there that is more close to reality.

I tried armored brigade and it looks nice, but I have 2 questions, is there a FOW option somewhere and how exactly do you place your units?
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

I haven't played it, but would Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations suit? I believe it has scenarios already set in the Balkans, but it has a comprehensive scenario editor. Obviously the focus is on air / naval operations, but land units are also represented (albeit at less detail).

That FAQ links to the complete land unit database on Baloogan's site, but it appears the page is currently broken. If/when it's fixed and the units you mention aren't in the database, you can request Warfare Sims to add them.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I'd have to throw in my suggestion for ATG. Sometimes non historic simulations simulate better.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Jakers123, just played AB last night with FoW and placed my units. Not too intuitive but I bet you can figure it out ;)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

hmm, maybe not perfect, but what about Campaign Series: Middle East? tt.asp?forumid=1515

I don't think you can add countries (but maybe you can, not sure), but it probably has all of the right equipment, as well as a map editor. The game itself is turn-based though, so maybe not for you.

I would not use CMANO; its land warfare is rudimentary at best.

Flashpoint campaigns is very good, but not sure if it has the right equipment or if you can create your own maps.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I don't know if the freeware game Armored Brigade is worth looking at? It is a real-time tactical ground warfare game set in the Cold War. I have not tried it myself because I am happy with WinSPMBT.

http://www.armoredbrigade.com/
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I would not use CMANO; its land warfare is rudimentary at best.

I knew it wasn't as detailed as its naval and air simulation, but hoped it might be serviceable for Jakers' purposes. Pity.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: ninawilliam89
Best wargame for you is WOT. Join the 110-million strong army of devoted fans and take part in epic tank battles with over 400 vehicles to choose from.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: ninawilliam89
Best wargame for you is WOT. Join the 110-million strong army of devoted fans and take part in epic tank battles with over 400 vehicles to choose from.

'World of Tanks' is quite entertaining! [:)]
http://worldoftanks.com/
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Spam squished - account killed!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “General Discussion”