NATO v NATO

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

baldbrother

NATO v NATO

Post by baldbrother »

Would it be possible to create a NATO v NATO or US v US scenario to test your battle tactics with identical weaponry?
CapnDarwin

RE: NATO v NATO

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes it is. Copy the user data file you want and rename it with a -red or something. Go into the national tab. Rename the file name at the bottom to match your file name and set side to "red". Load up the editor and the Red NATO force should show. Enjoy. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

You can create Red on Red situations in the same way.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Not only is it possible, but I have. Just edit the Data file for the NATO nationality you want to use as the red force as Capn D outlined.
Charles Belva
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Actually, along the same lines would like to merge NATO Nationalities for Multiple nation's defense.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Allowing multinational forces in the same scenario is a feature that we are working on for Southern Storm.
Charles Belva
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

GREAT!!!!!
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Go into the national tab. Rename the file name at the bottom to match your file name and set side to "red". Load up the editor and the Red NATO force should show.
...sorry but where do I find the National tab?
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

It's the first tab in a database file.
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Again apologies for my ignorance where do I find the database file?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The data folder in the FPRS module folder. Each data file is in a nationally names folder.

baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Capn Darwin. Thanks for the help. I was hoping to create a Red version of the West German force. One data file is locked and the other one is empty. Is there any way I could accomplish what I want to do? I'd appreciate any help as this is all new territory for me.
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

I think I've worked out what to do. Too early in the morning maybe.
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Managed to get a scenario going - based on existing one. However for side 2,East Germany the counters are white not red. I typed in the same number 00343696 that is used in the Russian data but when I save it the 00's disappear and it saves as 343696. Any help gladly received.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The color is a legacy value. What you need to do is change the name of the counter background image to one you want to use and place it in the folder with your new red data file. That will work for you.

baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

The color is a legacy value
Sorry Capn to appear so dim-witted but where do I find this legacy value/color
Apologies for wasting your time.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

What Capn D meant was the program does not use that value anymore to determine the color of the counters. It has been replaced with a counter graphic found in each countries Data file. Example: If you look in the folder Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm/Modules/FPRS/Data/American you will find a graphic file named "US_BGD.bmp". That is the counter for the American units. It corresponds to the graphic file named in the US Data file under the National Tab/Game Defaults/Unit Counter Background Image.

When you load a scenario for say the American side, the program looks for the graphic file in the American Date folder of that name and loads it as the graphic for that sides counter. If it cannot find a corresponding graphic file of that name in the Nations Data file, the counter will appear white.

Hopefully this helps. The allows you to design your own counters. You can have them multicolored if you like.

Here are some counters I did for fun. Some of them look really good in the game. I especially like my Canadian counter.

Attachments
CounterFun.jpg
CounterFun.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Charles Belva
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

By the way, if you want to redo a counter to your own liking and use it in the game, you can change the counter while playing a scenario. First save the original counter graphic so that you don't loose it. Next rename your counter to correspond to the one used in the game. Then while playing a game, under the View menu at the top select the last item "Refresh subunit image from disk" and it will change all that nation's counter to the new one.

You have to do this each time since the counter image is hard coded into the scenario at the time the scenario is created and saved. If you were to build a new scenario using that new counter, it will be hard coded into the scenario and every player that plays that scenario will see your unique counter. If you want to change the counter permanently in a scenario, in the editor on the page where you save the scenario there is a "Refresh underlying scenario data" button. If you press that, it will change all the counter in the game to correspond to the graphic in national data files. Be careful with that button, it will also refresh scenario with any changes made to said data file. If you don't have the correct data file (say from a user made scenario where he used his own data file) you will corrupt the scenario.

Hope this was clear enough.
Charles Belva
baldbrother

Post by baldbrother »

Charles. Thanks for all the very helpful information. Sadly, even though I have the appropriate counter in the folder - see attached screen shot - the unit remains white when you open the game to play. Tried refreshing image from disc to no avail. Obviously I'm doing something wrong somewhere. If you have time to assist I'd be grateful. I understand the pressures on your availability. Thanks.

Attachments
eg.jpg
eg.jpg (250.76 KiB) Viewed 229 times
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

OK, I just have a few minutes this morning and I am off. The problem is that the program can't find the graphic file. Make sure that the folder that you East German mod is in is named "East Germany" to correspond with the Country Name on the National tab of your data file. It appears that the folder is named EG-Tony but I am not positive. See if that fixes it and let me know.
Charles Belva

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”