New GD1938, classic and fast

Post here to meet players for MP games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

New GD1938, classic and fast

Post by cpdeyoung »

I would like to propose a new GD1938 game using the "old" victory conditions.

In order to promote speed and historicity I would like to have three players.

Germany - Italy - Japan : the classic Axis. HOUSE RULE :Japan must stay at peace with the USSR.
Great Britain - France - United States - China : The western alliance. HOUSE RULE : no VC can be anti-USSR
The USSR - Can win its own victory. HOUSE RULE : may "flirt" with the Axis for division of Poland, but the VC chosen must involve a conflict with the Axis. No war with Japan.

The house rules must be a guide. If the USSR and Japan find them selves at war by accident due to DoWs by allies they must make peace immediately. Once the Nazi-Soviet pact is completed, that is, Poland is divided, a war-peace proposal will restore Soviet neutrality. The USA starts as isolationist and unless the Axis declares war on the USA the American government must reduce isolationism the old fashioned way, by spending 60PP frequently. In general, we are all adults and have won plenty of games. In this game we are seeking to win within a framework close to historical WW2. If the Germans want to play a larger role in the Med, or campaign more actively with the Japanese that's great, but a Japanese-Soviet war is beyond the bounds. As always no DoW on an ally, or allied controlled minor.

Play should be fast, lots to do, but little transit time.

Chuck

PS : If we have too many players we can have multiple games.
tortugapower

RE: New GD1938, classic and fast

Post by tortugapower »

Thanks Chuck. I'll be following this to see if it gets some traction.

If there end up being enough players, I'd prefer to play a smaller role of one of the two factions (e.g. an Italy or China) with a more experienced player until I get up to speed on the mod. This isn't just for me; one-sided games aren't as fun.
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

We only need two more players to start one of these games. If we all can commit to rapid play we can have the unusual experience of a GD1938 that moves right along. The Axis and Allies will have longer turns, but turnover time will be, hopefully, much shorter. The USSR will be no longer than normal.

This is an excellent chance to polish your skills, and in a environment with somewhat less diplomacy-strategy, but a full operational experience.

This may be the first game to see the advanced technology of the late war.

I would be happy to take the last nation available.

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

PS : If we have too many players we can have multiple games.

If it includes a slower game beside a fast one, please count me in. Can play fast turns within the next two weeks, but then I might be slower and might need two days sometimes til I can send the next turn.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I know you will do your very best, and it will be a pleasure to have you in the game.

TortugaPower, please feel free to join in. We will try to make it a rapid game, but it is always a best effort situation.

Anyone else interested? It should be fun.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I did suggest using the old victory conditions so of course I am in, but we had a full roster except for Italy and I am supposing that all will be happy to play with the old victory conditions, I am up for a more rapid game as a turn every two weeks as seems to be the case with game 23 is to slow for my taste. Regards Italy, is a Italy Japan combination out of the question, gives the player two chances of victory and not likely that the two powers will be able to support each other, not till much later in the game.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Ironduke1955,

This is actually not Game 24, but a call for a three player game with house rules to prevent a Russo-Japanese conflict and an alliance between the Axis and the Soviets.

Even the (Old) victory conditions must be picked to approach the actual WW2 goals.

I think the Allied player must also see to it that China picks a victory condition it can avoid obtaining. Britain and France could supply China with arms too easily.

Chuck

tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

I'm still tracking here. Who is playing what right now, or have we gotten that far?
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

As there are Chuck, Ironduke and tortugapower interested in the game, I will step back.
I am already involved in a game that will hopefully be a lot of fun. So I will be happy playing another ATG scenario.
Have fun and a challenging game!
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@TortugaPower,

If Ironduke1955 is interested would you like to give it a try? Iron duke and I are experienced, and that might make it better, or worse for you as a newer player.

@Ironduke1955,

Would you like to try this three player, old victory conditions game? I have proposed house rules to try and make it a bit more of a simulation of the course of WW2. I think You, I, and Tortuga would be about as fast a game as possible. If this works it might lead to multiple three player games, with varying speeds, although I think three will always be faster than seven or eight.

If you both want to play I suggest Tortuga picks first, then Ironduke, and I will play the remaining powers.

Chuck

PS : @Rufus,

Please keep an eye on this three player format. We could have great fun here.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I should have read your initial post, I assumed we were talking about GD1938 Game 24, so if you want to throw your hat in to the ring Rufus T Firefly then be my guest. I am not convinced that GD1938 is at its best as a three player game. The grounds for my view is that the 2nd World War has a kind of Balance based on timing, such as 7th Dec 1941 if all events are historical then there is a chance for the Axis to win, Combine the 4 major opponents of the Axis from the beginning, under one player is a fairly tall order for the Axis to overcome. The politics of a 8 player GD 1938 game are the only way that this MOD comes to life. 3 players makes the game a hard core wargame and a unbalanced one at that.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Have we had any eight player games? A few perhaps, but generally we have GB-FR combined, often GR-IT combined, often US-CH combined, etc. From the Game 24 disappointment it looks like we may not have an eight player game soon.

I do invite players to think of joining a three player game.
4 major opponents of the Axis

The Soviets clearly are a "major opponent" of the Axis. China and France are not great powers. The USA will be on the sidelines for awhile, and the USSR will be playing its own game. The Axis will also be under a single commander, but I agree it will be a real challenge for them. It usually is.

Rufus, if you can join it would be great. Anyone with some time available is welcome to take a side.

Ironduke may be correct about GD1938 not being at its best as a three player game but we only need to try it and see. It is much easier to find three players than 6, 7, or 8.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

As I have zero experience in this mod, and having loaded it up recently it seems to change a bit [edit: *quite* a bit], I'm still very amenable to playing joint with another person.

If I understand ironduke correctly, the Allies all under one become unstoppable, so maybe I can play as one of those and we can have a very experienced player take over the rest of the Allies. I can learn any of the tricks of the mod from them.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I am for starting game 24 GD1938 if necessary Chuck can play Germany and Italy if no other player steps forward we have players who have shown willing the least that can be done is to reward them with a game.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I cannot speak for Ironduke, but the USA, GB, FR and China do not seem "unstoppable" to me.

@TortugaPower,

Why not sign on for the four nation Allies. The USA will not be available for actual warfare for awhile due to isolationism, so you will have China already at war, and GB, FR to play.

@Rufus, or some other player,

Please step up for the Soviet Union and we will have a game. I will take the USSR if someone else wants the Axis.

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Would like to take the Axis.

I agree with Ironduke that Western Allies plus USA are nearly unstoppable. It is not my aim to win this game as Axis against Western Allies plus USA on one front and SU on the other. But I like to try a strategy that might enable me to survive til the end of 1944, hopefully longer. Would be nice if we could see some late war equipment on the battlefields.

Some time ago I played ETO against Larry. While playing Axis in the first part of the game I was very successful, then tides turned and for a the rest of the game I was defending, retreating, defending, retreating ...
Quite frustrating in the beginning. Then I took it as a challenge to try to hold Berlin til May 45. Larry took Berlin in the first week of 45 and was happy to won the war while I was happy to have manage to survive that long. So it can be a nice game even when being defeated. (But it can be frustrating being defeated quite early like I was wehn playing GD1938 last time and had to fight Ironduke. Great game you played, Ironduke!)

@ tortugapower: It might be frustrating in the beginning to see that Western Allies are driven back at all fronts. But war is long. And USA will be a very strong ally. And maybe Sovjet intelligence might send good advice.

Btw, China will be played by the one who plays Western Allies and USA as well?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Yes, but the Chinese must "choose" a victory condition they will not fulfill. This might be the VC that posits taking an offshore island, but not taking it. The player doing GB, FR, USA and China cannot win as China in other words.

@TortugaPower, if you want the USSR instead of the Allies just let us know.

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Dont want to sound like a bigmouth. But I think with Japan and SU at peace the Japanese have enough time before USA comes in to get the Chinese on their knees. Might be unable for them to win no matter what victory condiiton they choose. Anyway, the Chinese player should follow Chuck´s request.

@ Tortugapower:
I think Chuck made a very good suggestion. If you play USSR you will have some time to get familiar with your nation and units. Aixs will need some time to prepare before they can start a war on a second front. And there is Poland between Germany and SU. If Aixs and SU come to an agreement about dividing Poland, they might attack at the same time. The attack on Poland would give you some idea how your forces perform on the battlefield.

We use latest version of GD1938, right?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Rufus,

Your comments are always welcome, and this one is cogent and fair. I was thinking of help for the Chinese from GB and FR. If they give China weapons (troops with weapons) it will be possible for China to give Japan a more difficult battle. Strictly speaking the USSR can also give China help if they become allies. The USSR cannot go to war with Japan, but Soviet "volunteers" could enter the Chinese ranks. Of course the Soviets, British and French will have European matters to deal with, but I suspect somebody will be able to help the Chinese, and their victory conditions are so obtainable.

When you want I will send invitations to Tortugapower and RufusTFirefly for a dropbox Game 25 folder.

@Tortuga,

The USSR will play after Japan so let us know which you prefer.

@All,

This is going to be a fun game, and a learning experience for us all. The three player model may work well enough to spawn many faster, smaller games, and I hope it does.

Chuck
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Okay, it seems we're set except for a little confusion on which team everyone plays. Rufus has the Axis, but I'm seeing conflicting recommendations for me: first the Allies (by Chuck), then the USSR (by Rufus).

My opinion? Whichever is easier/simpler so that I can give you back the savegame files that much faster. There's going to be some hold-up until I become more familiar.

And I'd agree with Chuck: keep the comments rolling in, Rufus.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Opponents Wanted”