Camera settings suggestion

3D version of Close Combat
Nomada_Firefox

Camera settings suggestion

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Hi. If I am not wrong. You have not clear what will be the settings for the camera. I go to give you a suggestion.

-Main and default position:

90º top view. The same from all Close Combat games.

-Optional views:

From 90º to the down with a asymmetric position where the zoom be a bit more closer. Exactly as you can see in the Battle Academy.

Zoom closer and further in the 90º top view. You must see all the map, your units (with icons perhaps) and the enemy units which your troops have seen.

The closer zoom does not need be too closer. With a closer view where you see the vehicle details, it would be enough, some similar to the closer zoom from Close Combat III.

Not less important. A 360º rotation from all view. You can make it perhaps with arrow keys or with the mouse if it is possible. At some games, it is activated clicking the right bottom from the mouse and moving the mouse to the right or to the left.

As a old CC player, modder and player from serveral other games, many of them 3D games, this is my suggestion for the game camera.

What do you think people?
mickxe5

RE: Camera settings suggestion

Post by mickxe5 »

Mouse scroll wheel zoom please.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Yes I forgot the wheel zoom but remember, we do not need a zoom very close.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Pretty much, yes. There will be two view mode: top down and 'slightly angled.' The angle is yet to be locked in, but it will be high -- enough to give you some perspective and depth, but not low enough to fundamentally change the view of the game world.

The camera zoom is 'free form' -- you can zoom in to the minimum camera height or out as far as the map borders will allow. This can be done with either mouse wheel or keyboard.

You will probably not be able to rotate the camera. Possibly we will allow this as an option. It's under discussion and pending feedback.

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

You will probably not be able to rotate the camera. Possibly we will allow this as an option. It's under discussion and pending feedback.
Why? are you afraid about if all the computers can handle it? I know how this can request more graphics hardware.

For me, this as a option into the game menu or in the code would be perfect.

Your other settings look well. Mostly the top view is the most important, the height should be the same seen in the two old screenshots.

It was very similar to the old CC games. My point is, you can make a game very similar to the old 2D CC but at 3D with some optional 3D views.

At few word. We do not need a 3D game with a camera at first person.;)
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Allowing camera rotation is purely a gameplay decision -- it's not a technical limitation. But a rotating camera makes it easier to lose your orientation on the map when looking at a 3D game.

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

But a rotating camera makes it easier to lose your orientation on the map when looking at a 3D game.

Steve
I agree. But if it is one optional feature. It will increase the amount of hours playing the game.

Other point is how games without a 360º camera give a feeling of being tied. They look as if you want make the move but you can not and they are a bit frustrating.

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”