Map editor gone.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Confusedesh

Map editor gone.

Post by Confusedesh »

Map editor gone.

Patched my game and it is now up to date but when I load the generic data in the editor I get the setup for War in the East and when you switch to the map editing tools there is none.

I was working with it before I patched the game and everything was fine.
Helpless

RE: Map editor gone.

Post by Helpless »

What is the update you have installed? Looks like you got WITE2 generic data files.

Not sure what you are calling map editor. There should be no changes for the WITW editing tools.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Confusedesh

Post by Confusedesh »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

What is the update you have installed? Looks like you got WITE2 generic data files.

Not sure what you are calling map editor. There should be no changes for the WITW editing tools.

I have version 1.01.20 so when I start the editor and load the Generic Data and go to map I get what I now presume is WitE2.

When I then press the Tilde key so I can for example change a tiles texture there are no tools they are all gone.

Gong to reinstall.

OK reinstalled, version 1.0 editor working.

Patched to version 1.01.20 editor not working.
pz501

Post by pz501 »

I got curious and took a look at what Confusedesh is saying.

I get the same results: Ver 1.0 - map editor works. Ver 1.0.20 - exactly as he says. Ver 1.0.37 (Beta) - same thing.

Just a joke: since it looks like somehow the map editing feature gives us access to WITE-2's generic data and 1941 setup, can we join the Beta Team? (running for cover now)[;)]
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I get the same results: Ver 1.0 - map editor works. Ver 1.0.20 - exactly as he says. Ver 1.0.37 (Beta) - same thing.

Odd. There was no intention to toggle map editor tool for the WITW. It works for me in most recent WITW version, which was a base for the next public beta (sent to Matrix and should be available in coming weeks).

Pavel Zagzin
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The generic files appear to have been corrupted by some very early WitE2 files as early as 1.01.12. We'll get that fixed. As for the map editor, I see the problem with 1.01.20, but with 1.01.37 and later versions it is working for me. Can someone else confirm that in 1.01.37 you are unable to access the map editor functions (in the editor while on the map press the tilde key, the one above the tab key on most keyboards). Since we can't duplicate it in the later versions, we think whatever broke it in 1.01.20 is probably already fixed.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
pz501

Post by pz501 »

Joel,

I just did a clean install, and then patched first to 1.01.20, and then 1.01.37 (beta).

For whatever reason, the map edit function now works with 1.01.37, and the terrain types are all there and can be used. Can't explain this (maybe it was the clean install that was needed?).

For what it's worth, when using 1.01.37, when I "Tilde" I can see the Eastern Front 1941 setup, and access the units. I really don't think this is a big deal since it's a beta patch.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Great to hear, that matches my experience. The bad WitE2 data has been out there since last November. It's only used when modding, so doesn't impact normal gameplay. We'll fix it in a future update. Thanks.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
dereck

Post by dereck »

Okay granted I haven't been monitoring this forum for a bit but how is a WITE (War in the East?) map editor in the WITW program?

I'm only on 1.01.20 (beta) and don't intend to edit the map so I should be okay or am I wrong?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

WITE2 (not WITE-1) generic files could be read by WITW editor. Data is very similar. Besides WITE2 and WITW are sharing the same code base. So WITW is alive - it gets new bugs from WITE2 :)
Pavel Zagzin
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You'll have no problems if you're not modding the map or creating new scenarios. The map editor is already fixed in the 1.01.37 public beta and Matrix now has the fixed generic data files so they should get released with the next public beta which is expected to be posted sometime this month. In the meantime, if you want to see an outdated version of the WitE2 setup as of June 41, load in the generic files in the editor and scroll to the east. It is out of date though, as Trey keeps improving the 1941 campaign data.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
dereck

Post by dereck »

I won't be creating a new scenario but, after this current game finishes, I may go back in and change my US Troop Carrier Groups back to the Troop Carrier Squadrons I had them at when that troop carrier bug was found and before it was fixed.

That sounds like I'm okay doing that?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

So WITW is alive - it gets new bugs from WITE2 :)

[:D][:D][:D]
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: dereck

I won't be creating a new scenario but, after this current game finishes, I may go back in and change my US Troop Carrier Groups back to the Troop Carrier Squadrons I had them at when that troop carrier bug was found and before it was fixed.

That sounds like I'm okay doing that?

Thanks

If you're changing an air group's data in a scenario file, then it won't be impacted by the change in generic files.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

Thought I would give this editor a try but neither can I acces the map editor.
Tried it on clean install, does not work on all 3 versions.

For me the Tilde key is not above the tabkey, I also need to be pressing AltGr to use it.

tried every button on the keyboard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Is anyone else having this problem? It was a bug in 1.01.20 (tilde key not bringing up various map tools), but it was fixed in 1.01.37 and it and every update since then works for me. Maybe the fact that the tilde key is different on your computer is the root of the problem.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

Can I edit some file that will change it to another key ?
overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

I got my situation fixed.

I'm using an azerty keyboard.
using combo shift-alt switches to qwerty, doing this the tilde key also came active above the TAB.
now i can acces the map editor
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Good news, thanks for letting us know.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”