Thinking about buying

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Phoenix100

Thinking about buying

Post by Phoenix100 »

I'm thinking about buying this. Can someone help me with these two simple questions please?
1. In 2d view can you get rid of the hexes?
2. Can you play it all in 2d view (I don't much like tabletop-type views)?

Thanks,

Peter

Sorry, make that 3 questions....
3. Is the AI decent enough to play against?
Crossroads

RE: Thinking about buying

Post by Crossroads »

Hello phoenix!

1. Yes. Ctrl + X toggles hexes ON and OFF.

2. Yes, I'm a 2D geek myself, spend 99% of my gaming with that view. Occassionally I might check 3D to learn more about the landscape arounds.

3. Depends how you define "decent enough" I guess. AI has been improved for instance with Adaptive AI, with a set of parameters that control how AI plays with various nations and eras. This is the first game with Adaptive AI implemented, and it is bound to get more immersive going forward. There's also a slider and parameters as how aggressive you want the AI to be. So I guess that's decent enough. Sorry for not a more concrete answer, as I believe this is an area Where Your Mileage May Vary. I personally like to play against AI, especially when I am the attacker.

Hope this helps [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Regarding question #1.

Hex ON

Hex OFF

From my recent Sneak Peeks post.

---
berto

Post by berto »

The A/I will occasionally do some head scratcher moves.

Apart from that, the A/I is good enough to beat me, else draw me, maybe half the time.

Against this game's A/I, as with most games' A/I, you'll have a better experience playing the attacker.

Overall, I would say, yes, it's pretty decent. And will only get better.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Many thanks! Those are both very helpful responses, Crossroads and Berto. I'll buy it, I think.
budd

Post by budd »

I used to play in 3d but with the new zoom and fine 2d counters, of which there are multiple choices,I'm mostly 2d now. As far as the AI it's defiantly decent on scenario and campaigns designed with AI in mind. Playing the ones designed for head to head against the AI is obviously a mixed bag. I wish those divided ground scenario packs had AI, I know it ain't going to happen but I can wish can't I. I'm mostly a WW2 guy but must say I enjoy the hell outta this game and the support is great.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

This is a classic title and the development team is very professional. This is not the typical game that will be abandoned. Instead of that there will be updates and enhancements (graphics, mechanics, AI, etc.) while they work on other titles. I can tell you it´s worth a buy and I´m not a fanboy.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you for the kind words, Gentlemen. Truly!
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

I just bought this game and initial impressions are very positive. Having gotten somewhat used to JTCS's 2D view, this one is so much better with zoom in and those beautiful counters! Probably gonna play it mostly in 2D. Still haven't dwelled into all the mods that comes with it but looking forward. Also the post about the Adaptive A/I and how it can be changed scenario-basis really sold me into this. Plus the good communication with the user-base and promises about keeping the game engine up-to-date even though working already with next installment didn't hurt either.

As an added bonus, though not officially supported, I managed to get this working also with my secondary 12-year old laptop which has Windows XP that takes about 10 minutes to reboot [:D]

Big thumbs up for Jason and his great team! [:)]
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thank you for your support, zoikkis, it is appreciated! [:)]

Glad you're enjoying the 2D view as well. And in 1.03 it will only get better, that's a promise!

---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

If I am not terribly out of range we are now at 164 regular scenarios (*.scn) and at 36 Linked Campaign scenarios (*.scl), with the Hosted Modfications taken into account.

Not too shabby I'd say [:)]

Edit2: 164 regular scenarios that is. I have so many unofficial things hanging about, difficult to count what's there in official manner and what not
---
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Thank you for your support, Zoikkis!![&o]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

I've also just bought this game mostly because of explanations given to zoikkis regarding his questions. My first question is what mods are you using to get look as in screenshot above?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Good day! Thank you for your support and purchase!

The screenshots in Post #3 are graphics from Petri whom had used a combination of the 3D (1 on the keyboard cut up in pieces for the insets) and 2D (4 on the keyboard as the background) views to generate the images. Primarily to show how the 2D and 3D are being upgraded to be similar in look between the views.

I do not recall if the 2D graphics shown there were released in the 1.02 UPDATE, or they will be released in the 1.03 UPDATE. Petri (aka Crossroads) will be able to verify later tonight (he's living in Europe and asleep at the moment).

Jason Petho

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Hello Emir, welcome aboard! [:)]

Yes, those were 1.03 sneak peek shots from my 1.03 Alpha environment. Lots of exciting things happening there!

The current 2D mods are my Ode to Arab-Israeli Wars boardgame mod, and Warhorse's Textured 2D Terrain mod, the former already at your game's MODS folder, the latter available at our Mods and Scenarios sub forum for download.

1.03 will get again an Open Beta treatment once we're closer to the release I am sure. Hope this answered your question!
---
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

I haven't read thru the manual yet but is it possible to have the numbers on 2d counters coloured to reflect the change in values? For example when my unit suffers strength loss, that number would be shown in red when it is under it's original strength. Or when I lose morale, that number would also be shown in red but if boosted by a leader the number would be coloured blue etc. This would make it easier to quickly see in 2D view which units have suffered penalties or are getting boosted. Bit like they already are shown in the infobox but without the need to click each individual unit to be able to see the changes.
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

Hope this answered your question!

Yes, that answers my question. Thank you Crossroads. [:)]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Good ideas, zoikkis. Add them to the Wishlist!

Here --> CSME Wishlist
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Good ideas, zoikkis. Add them to the Wishlist!

Copy/pasted my question to the wishlist. Thanks!
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: zoikkis

I haven't read thru the manual yet but is it possible to have the numbers on 2d counters coloured to reflect the change in values? For example when my unit suffers strength loss, that number would be shown in red when it is under it's original strength. Or when I lose morale, that number would also be shown in red but if boosted by a leader the number would be coloured blue etc. This would make it easier to quickly see in 2D view which units have suffered penalties or are getting boosted. Bit like they already are shown in the infobox but without the need to click each individual unit to be able to see the changes.
Problem: Across the many nations, across the games in the Series, so many different nation counter colors. Sooner or later, there is sure to be a counter color that matches (exactly or closely) the non-black unit stat color (red, blue, whatever). Then the unit stat will blend together with the counter color, rendering it invisible.

We could try putting white (or ?) outlines around the unit stats. Or setting them inside a wider (white ?) circle. At the expense of using up additional precious counter space, leaving less room for other on-counter eye candy.

Moreover, the fancier we make the counters, like for example color coding the unit stats, the more processor and time intensive it makes displaying the counters. This will slow down map scrolls and game displays.

We need to be judicious in how fancy we get with this stuff.

But yes, good suggestions anyway.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”