OT - CG Battle of Santa Cruz

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

IdahoNYer

OT - CG Battle of Santa Cruz

Post by IdahoNYer »

Truly amazing what CG graphics can do these days. This one impressed the heck out of me.

Battle of Santa Cruz
GetAssista

RE: OT - CG Battle of Santa Cruz

Post by GetAssista »

Wow, such an impressive work! Thank you for pointing it out
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Very nice! Tks.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
RayYoung

Post by RayYoung »

It never ceases to amaze me what computer graphics are capable of in the hands of someone with the skill and knowledge of detail to create it.
525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

But where was Jar Jar Binks?

bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

I don't think we will see what CG can do with an aerial combat scene until Peter Jackson, or another aviation buff with his talent and resources, gets interested in a WWII story. I haven't seen anything that matches his final action scene in King Kong. He even replicated the aircraft and unit markings of the squadron that Willis O'Brien used in the 1932 film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoD85qZhkWY
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

Very nice.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Kinda neat. Quibbles:

Torpedo explosion plume on Hornet didn't seem realistic, but what do I know? Looked small and more like a bomb explosion.

SBD attacks shortly thereafter appeared to be glide bombing, not dive bombing. Was this actually the case? I'd be surprised if so.

When it says the IJN forces were ordered to turn to the east, the ships are shown turning to starboard... given their headings from the N of Guadalcanal to the SE, wouldn't this mean they turned to the south or even the west?

5 bombs from "Zuikaku's 3rd Strike Force" are shown exploding simultaneously around Hornet, from an apparently level bombing attack. Also seems odd.

IJN surface forces are depicted firing on the ships attempting to scuttle Hornet, which AFAIK never happened, although they were apparently only 30 minutes or so away from visual spotting range.

But yes, still kinda neat. Of note, I'd forgotten about the History Channel's "Battle 360" show, which showed up as the "next up" from YouTube after finishing this watch. They did an episode on this battle also.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Rendering is not up current quality, no GI(global ilumination) but if this was just one guy it is fantastic.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Have this video at home. Yep a couple of miffs. But overall very entertaining. Audio kinda sucks. Still love it.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Is it true the scouts misidentified one of the US carriers as Saratoga? Which one?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Is it true the scouts misidentified one of the US carriers as Saratoga? Which one?
Could be either Enterprise or Hornet -same class. Japanese carriers had small islands with their smokestacks being down along the side of the ship. The US carriers had their smokestacks together in a big rectangle at the back of the bridge/island structure so at a distance they would likely look similar. The float plane was probably dodging CAP and unlikely to get close enough to see gun arrangements and such.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Do you mean that a scout who could mistake one of them for a Lexington class could have mistaken either and we don't know which it was?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Do you mean that a scout who could mistake one of them for a Lexington class could have mistaken either and we don't know which it was?
Well, I don't know which it was, or whether it really happened or was just something added to give the video some FOW flavour. I think the Japanese did believe that they had sunk Enterprise at Eastern Solomons, so if Hornet had already been reported by another aircraft the pilot might have been expecting a second carrier to be Saratoga.
In any case it doesn't really matter to the conduct of the battle which carrier it was - just that the Japanese now had a fix on that group.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Wow! Great animation! I had to stop watching after a while as I couldn't take the suspense. I felt my heart sink when the Hornet got hit with the torpedoes. I tend to get really immersed in movies and stuff. [X(]
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Really enjoyed that
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

Actually I have a number of them bookmarked:

Kongo-class at Guadalcanal

Sinking of Force Z

Raid on Ceylon

among those.
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

This one is from 2008 - as the opening screen shows. It is the first time, however, that I see it with English captions. When I showed it to my friends I used to narrate what was happening based on my knowledge of the battle [:)]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

This one is from 2008 - as the opening screen shows. It is the first time, however, that I see it with English captions. When I showed it to my friends I used to narrate what was happening based on my knowledge of the battle [:)]

Well, that's a hell of a lot better than just any old cook. [;)]

in reference to his signature:

RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Well, that's a hell of a lot better than just any old cook. [;)]

Considering that now I own and run a restaurant, I can say that the Navy built me a career [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”