Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

WildCatNL

Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values with QGis (completed)

Post by WildCatNL »

Hi,

this is the "Mod Guide 1b - Maps and Map Values Creation with QGis", including an example project (as created while writing the manual) with styles and templates for rendering maps in the colors and resolution FCRS expects.
You can use the example project to start your own map with a lot less hassle than when starting from scratch.

The mod guide describes the following steps:
1 install QGis and plug-ins, create a project, load DEM elevation data
2 defining a map area, and export an early "elevation only" version of the map as bitmap for scanning by the FCRS Map Values editor.
3 set-up and style the layer for drawing our rivers, roads, etc.
4 drawing the rivers and major roads, using Bing satellite and Bing road maps as guidance
5 drawing built-up areas, rail-roads and secondary roads
6 drawing minor rivers, streams, forests, and fields, and fixing ugly spots
7 prettying up the map with labels (outside QGis)
8 creating a second map using this project

I'd appreciate your feedback in this thread (except the spelling / grammar errors - for those, just send me a message and I'll correct them).

Kind regards,

William

Download link: (74MB .zip file, containing the .pdf guide, the example project alogn with styles and templates, and the resulting map).

Attachments
FPCModdin..ithQGis.jpg
FPCModdin..ithQGis.jpg (180.82 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
William
On Target Simulations LLC
WildCatNL

RE: Mod Guide - Maps and Map Values with QGis (in progress)

Post by WildCatNL »

Progress: rail-roads, secondary roads, obstacle id's, snapping to the hex grid and hex side minor rivers / streams

Attachments
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (294.49 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
William
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Another reservation for additional images.
William
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

William,

goodness... that is impressive stuff.. will be incredibly useful. Well explained as you do it changes everything from undoable to achievable for that dreamed of scenario [:)].

Thanks.
All the best,
Kip.
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

William,

Many thanks for this, this explain the many mistakes I have made so far.

BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Yes much thanks for all of your help!!! [:)] [&o] [&o]
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Thank you so much for this wonderful work~! But may I have a question?

1) It seems that your work flow is different from mine, the PDF suggest to progress the road, forest, towns, fields and water later. But I was already progressing towns and roads in QGIS.... Shall I exactly keep this work flow?

2) Hex grid size - Is the manual correct? (short distance 433.0127m and long distance 500m). Because that setting will give us 12 hexes in 5km grid. On the other hand, 500m / 577.3505m option gives 10 hexes in 5km grid, which matches well with 500m setting of Hex. I'm bit confused here....

3) Which maps are the most recommended? ESRI-nationalgeographic, OSM, Google, Bing, MapQuest.... For some region (like North Korea that I'm working on), maps are really different with each other, I'm not sure which one to trust.

4) I used WGS 84 Pseudo Mercator, since some maps are not aligned with each other under WGS 84 (Pyongyang is 51S~52S). Is this OK? Or should I need to adhere to 52S?

Some additional recommendable QGIS modules:
- MultiQML = Easy loading of styles to vectors (road/water) and polygons (towns and forests)
- QuickMapServices (QMS) = Numerous map options
- Generalizer = if you want to curve-fit roads and streams from QGIS
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Pinned to the top so all can see!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

ORIGINAL: exsonic01
Thank you so much for this wonderful work~! But may I have a question?

1) It seems that your work flow is different from mine, the PDF suggest to progress the road, forest, towns, fields and water later. But I was already progressing towns and roads in QGIS.... Shall I exactly keep this work flow?
QGis doesn't force you into any specific order (elevation first, or manual drawings first, rivers first or rivers last, etc).
I have a preference for elevation first, so I have a feel for the map in hexagons. Next, I prefer to do rivers first (since they may force me to shift roads - we'll probably see that happening for the Minden map), highways, major streams, primary roads, rail roads, minor roads, towns, forests and fields. Followed by the occasional shifting of streams, roads, towns in order to better capture the "character" of the area (at the cost of some positional error).

For the map you're currently working on, you should be fine (since you don't have major rivers).
2) Hex grid size - Is the manual correct? (short distance 433.0127m and long distance 500m). Because that setting will give us 12 hexes in 5km grid. On the other hand, 500m / 577.3505m option gives 10 hexes in 5km grid, which matches well with 500m setting of Hex. I'm bit confused here....
The manual is correct. Hexes are 500m (500m high, or 500m side to opposing side), with boils down to 433 along the horizontal axis due to overlap / math / ...
If you take one of the original FCRS maps, these are 2569x1952 pixels, which (at 128 pixel per km) boils down to 20.1km x 15.25km for the map. The .25 in 15.25 is due to half a row of inaccessible hexagons showing up at the bottom.
3) Which maps are the most recommended? ESRI-nationalgeographic, OSM, Google, Bing, MapQuest.... For some region (like North Korea that I'm working on), maps are really different with each other, I'm not sure which one to trust.
None can be trusted, but some are less wrong than others... Which also tells you map making involves "art".

Seriously, IMO it depends a lot on the area. OSM is pretty good in Germany, most likely due to Germany municipalities / public works adding/improving data. US based map providers typically have great data for the USA. For Korea, I don't know.
The benefit of satellite views is that you can do your own interpretation.
4) I used WGS 84 Pseudo Mercator, since some maps are not aligned with each other under WGS 84 (Pyongyang is 51S~52S). Is this OK? Or should I need to adhere to 52S?
As long as your area box and hex grid have been defined under UTM52N (northern hemisphere), you have your scale correct. Then you can use on-line satellite / map views (and have QGis switch back to Pseudo Mercator to use them) to draw your roads. Just be sure to switch back to UTM52N before exporting the bitmap using the Print Composer.
If you did set-up your area box and hex grid using Pseudo Mercator, your map's scale will be off. You can get a feel for the size of the error by comparing distances on your hex map against measuring distance on the "real terrain" in ArcGis' webmap viewer.
Some additional recommendable QGIS modules:
- MultiQML = Easy loading of styles to vectors (road/water) and polygons (towns and forests)
- QuickMapServices (QMS) = Numerous map options
- Generalizer = if you want to curve-fit roads and streams from QGIS
I'll look them up. Thanks!

William
William
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Thank you for detailed answer. Oh welp, I think I need to go back to the beginning and try again :P My current work is totally off from your recommendation, specially the hex size and WGS system.... [:(]
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

First post has been updated with newer version of the guide, covering the creation of our "manual" layers for rivers, roads, urban areas, forests, and how to draw the rivers and roads using satellite maps / road maps as guidance. (Approximately 10 new pages).

William
William
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Another 10 pages added, and built-up areas, secondary roads, minor rivers and streams added to the map.

William
William
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Nice example of a wrong CRS usage.

I was looking of a remake of my L2720 sittensen map, but when I was setup the qgis project the scale was very different from the original map.

This was a mystery to me, and decide to start again (and consulting William). and the was no problem.

this morning I found the reason: The project CRS was Pseudo Mercator and not the UTM32N any more.

Attachments
wrongCRS.jpg
wrongCRS.jpg (398.79 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Hi,

Just add a extra option to OtsFp9Tools
/CreateElevation

This read the .fp9 file and generate a file with the hex filled with the elevation colour and hex boundaries.

Attachments
Zevengerm..eval2hex.jpg
Zevengerm..eval2hex.jpg (508.53 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Add also /CreateHexContours

Together with the previous one, you can work on this way.

Attachments
Zevengerm..contours.jpg
Zevengerm..contours.jpg (463.26 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
mb4329

Post by mb4329 »

Hi William,

Thanks for pulling the QGIS guide together. I found it to be a real help.

Curious if you have had any issues with the MMQGIS plugin? I was running version 2016.8.17 on QGIS v2.8.2 and no matter what I did the grid was distorted. It looks like it may be related to the projection as the hexes using 2016.8.17 where squashed (less than 500m in height - would upload an example but the upload feature is failing). I was able to roll back to version 2014.7.10 and it seemed to work fine since version 2014.7.10 lets you select a projection and datum. Have you noticed any issues with 2016.8.17 (or later)?

Regards,
Merrick

exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

ORIGINAL: mb4329

Hi William,

Thanks for pulling the QGIS guide together. I found it to be a real help.

Curious if you have had any issues with the MMQGIS plugin? I was running version 2016.8.17 on QGIS v2.8.2 and no matter what I did the grid was distorted. It looks like it may be related to the projection as the hexes using 2016.8.17 where squashed (less than 500m in height - would upload an example but the upload feature is failing). I was able to roll back to version 2014.7.10 and it seemed to work fine since version 2014.7.10 lets you select a projection and datum. Have you noticed any issues with 2016.8.17 (or later)?

Regards,
Merrick

I'm not sure what is really happening there, but I had the same issue when I was noob in QGIS. Problem was wrong CRS coordinate. My map was in WGS84-UTM52N, but my hex grid was in WGS84-Pseudo-Mercator. Issue is solved after I modified my hex grid coordinate to the same CRS with the map. Check if this was the problem.
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

I just updated the first post with a completed guide, and the availability of the example project and resulting Minden map (map values bitmap. .fp9 file and final map render).

Enjoy!

William
William
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Thank you so much William~! Oh well, I need to re-work my river banks again :P
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

Thanks William.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”