It is 1944 - have I already lost?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rmonical

It is 1944 - have I already lost?

Post by rmonical »

Finally, my first game as Soviets to make it into 1944. About to transition from blizzard to snow.
This is the map overview.

Attachments
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (178.72 KiB) Viewed 408 times
rmonical

RE: It is 1944 - have I already lost?

Post by rmonical »

Here are the victory points

Attachments
Situation1.jpg
Situation1.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 400 times
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

The overall force structure is insane. Especially the air force. Almost no interception of my bombing missions.
Not sure if I have enough mobile forces. I have generally not build infantry and armor.

I'm building one rifle brigade per turn to convert the remaining infantry divisions. One artillery division per turn but I'm thinking about upping this again now that I have built about 100 SU76m regiments. Still over 1000 SU76M in the pool.

I ran an active blizzard campaign in December then slowed down when I saw the truck numbers. Continues to push across the DNEPR in Ukraine. I just moved to fronts north to initiate the recapture of Leningrad.

Attachments
Situation2.jpg
Situation2.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 400 times
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: rmonical

Finally, my first game as Soviets to make it into 1944. About to transition from blizzard to snow.
This is the map overview.

Not sure - I'd say the key is to force the Dneipr in the Ukraine before it unfreezes. The next massive river line is the Vistula and you want the Germans back to that for the winter 44-45.

If you can get over the Dneipr in the south, the rest is a matter of putting in pressure where the Axis is weak - their infantry is hardwired to weaken (lower NM and ToE) so there will be gaps.

If he holds you on the Dneipr then you have more of a problem. You can cross in the spring/summer with lots of artillery/airpower but it is inevitably a slower business.

don't ignore the SU-76 on map brigades - they are incredibly useful for exploitation as for some reason they tend to keep high MP ... plus you have masses of SU-76s in the pools
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Thanks. I am mostly over the Dnepr already in Ukraine. Kiev should fall during snow. My tank brigades generally seem to have lower movement than the tank corps. I'll build some SU brigades and see if they are different.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

I agree with Loki, you should set the pressure in the South. It's open ground and 1944's Wehrmacht is far weaker than 1943's one
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

You are hard pressed I suspect to sustain 37 tank corps at even near full strength after the Nov 43 TO&E change. That's 7,300 medium tanks alone. Your truck fleet will struggle to supply it as well. That's why in this case I would not build any SU brigades, you'll simply make a bad supply situation worse. Depending on numbers, I'd disband the lowest 10 in terms of medium tanks immediately. Also, it's not clear what portion of your air force is in the reserves, but all LBs should be there except in the summer. I don't recommend flying anything but tac bombers after 1942 anyways. Just more burning of trucks otherwise.
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

You are hard pressed I suspect to sustain 37 tank corps at even near full strength after the Nov 43 TO&E change. That's 7,300 medium tanks alone. Your truck fleet will struggle to supply it as well. That's why in this case I would not build any SU brigades, you'll simply make a bad supply situation worse. Depending on numbers, I'd disband the lowest 10 in terms of medium tanks immediately. Also, it's not clear what portion of your air force is in the reserves, but all LBs should be there except in the summer. I don't recommend flying anything but tac bombers after 1942 anyways. Just more burning of trucks otherwise.
Yeah, I had over 3,500 M41s in the pool before the change. Now all medium tanks are down to 600. Over 1000 heavy though. . I have 331 off map armor units with 10,500 AFVs. I plan to start disbanding those first.

Trucks is what worries me. I have 449,000. The need this turn is 233,000 on map and 383,000 in units for a total of 616,000 needed. I slowed down the winter offensive everywhere but the Ukraine to get the on map need under 200,000. Last turn I lost 4000. Do air units sitting on the rail burn through many truck?

I agree 100% on the LB. The are most are disbanded and the rest are in the pool. I have started to disband the low moral fighter units to try to keep the air force under 27,000.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

be aggressive to wear down the German OOB.

Trim the fat in your army and stop building new on map units.

You need to max out your support units in your corps and make sure you Armies have SU artillery to support attacks.

You have way to many planes and honestly to many troops you are most likely heavily attriting your truck pool trying to maintain all that.

At this point in the war unit for unit yours should be better and the difference will only continue to fall in your favor esp if you stay aggressive and weaken the German OOB.
Kel

Post by Kel »

By the way, sb has any advice on the best SUs to beef up Rifle Corps, and Tank Corps?
I go for Eng, AA and tank bns, but there may be better alternatives
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Simply pocket a few divisions and the hole thing will fall apart very quickly.

DO not simply grind POCKET units, plan out a good 2 turn offensive in 1 area.

As we all know if you grind you will NEVER get to Berlin in time, summer 43 to spring 44 grind and then pocket and the hole front will fall apart.

Trucks/fuel mean zip until morveal/2by3 fix the Corp/Army HQ cheat not sure WTH is taking so long at this point?

tm.asp?m=4140013

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Trucks/fuel mean zip until morveal/2by3 fix the Corp/Army HQ cheat not sure WTH is taking so long at this point?

Pelton

maybe the fixing would be easier if you shared your recently discovered exploit?
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

See the Link in peltons Post loki?
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

So, what is the right proportion of trucks to requirement in clear weather?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Pelton

maybe the fixing would be easier if you shared your recently discovered exploit?

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

See the Link in peltons Post loki?

Attachments
homer.jpg
homer.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: rmonical

So, what is the right proportion of trucks to requirement in clear weather?

If you are at 70% of required your fine.

The big sht no one can figure out besides a few smart asses like Chaos is

if you don't move sht it requires zero trucks

WitW aka WitE 2.0

is just a simple.

getting to Berlin in 6 turns from Normandy vs AI+ is very easy if you apply this very simple fact of the logistics system.

Which is why I can get to D-town in 4 turns from 1.0 to 1.09

same can be done being Russia in 43
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

he big sht no one can figure out besides a few smart asses like Chaos is

if you don't move sht it requires zero trucks

Yeah, I got that! [:D] First turn of mud needed 308K, second turn 208K.

So you can have a big army as long as you do not use it most of the time. And I can park a bunch of my not so good tank corps to free up trucks.
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

Results: I parked 15 tank corps as advised. Disbanded a bunch of tank regiments while replacing with assault gun regiments and never ran low on medium tanks. I reactivated 6 of those tank corps toward the end.
Disbanded all of the bombers.
Two to three fronts were inactive every week. North Caucasus Front sat out the rest of the war.
Romanian surrender caught the Germans by surprise.
This 12 million man Army lumbered forward to take Berlin in May. After a marginal victory was mathematically certain we agreed to end this bitter end campaign.
I cannot look any more, but there were over a thousand medium tanks, heavy tanks, Su76 in the pools. Hundreds of medium and heavy assult guns. Over 2000 Sturmoviks and thousands and thousands of other aircraft types in the pools. The Red Air Force never fell below 25,000 from the beginning of 1944. Over 500K manpower in the pool. Trucks fell to 60% of requirements but after Berlin fell, I could have parked a bunch of tank corps.

The assault gun brigades were OK but their movement was nothing special. I think creating tank corps @ 50% strength and no SUs is the way to go for fast exploitation that will get routed out.
Icier

Post by Icier »

The interesting thing about your post that it wasnt the Germans fighting qualities holding you back,
but the actual size of your army in relationship to supplies.
The numbers of equipment in your pools are staggering & really does argue for a good look @ the
Russian set up.
I was looking @ your victory points post & I think the Germans may have been ripped off...the Afv should be 6375 not 1593.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”