ASW training

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kch

ASW training

Post by kch »

Hi all.. I am really struggling with hunting subs. Can anybody recommend a few scenarios where I can train/improve my skills? I have big problems actually locking a sub contact so that a helo will attack
wild_Willie2

RE: ASW training

Post by wild_Willie2 »

There is not much to practice, have the helicopter fly around the contact area and manually drop sonobuoys both over and under the layers around the contact area until you get lucky and drop one close enough to resolve the contact.
As a lost ditch defense, bearing launch a torpedo near the contact, once a torpedo is detected the sub will go to max depth and max speed to evade and is thus more readily picked up.

Once you have a bearing on the sub, these approaches work in 99% of the cases.

W.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
kch

Post by kch »

ok thanks. So you dont recommend using the ASW patrol mission?
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Of course you should use it, the ASW mission takes 99% of the work out of your hands. Only after you found the general area of a sub contact I sometimes take the controls in my own hand.

W.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
magi

Post by magi »

patrol missions work good... i start them in long rectangles and expand the reference points as time goes by... so they dont have helter skelter patrol patterns....
kch

Post by kch »

Thanks for the tips

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”