Strategic Command shows the course of World War 2 in screenshots

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Daniele

Strategic Command shows the course of World War 2 in screenshots

Post by Daniele »

Developers from Fury Sofware are very proud to share with you a new bunch of screenshots! With the UI pratically done, it's time to see how the enitre World War II will look like!

From the early operations in Poland in 1939, passing from El- Alamein. Stalingrad, the D-Day and coming to the final Allied victory in 1945, you will see how much Strategic Command: World War II in Europe has been improved!

Stay tuned for further updates and get more information from the official product page!

EdwinP

RE: Strategic Command shows the course of World War 2 in screenshots

Post by EdwinP »

Nice. The images of the UK preparing for D-Day makes shows how important it is for the Axis to stop US troop convoys from reaching Britain.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

With all these unit types available, I hope we see some smaller operational scenarios created.

I'm thinking you could do battalion level organizations, with AA, AT, recon, armored, armored infantry, artillery, and special forces for the heavy weapons or specialized company/battallion assets.

Anyone want to make a Battle of the Bulge or PanzerArmee Afrika scenario? You could go even further to localized theaters like the Bulge's Northern Shoulder with Peiper's push with the 1ss Panzers.

Hopefully we'll see some user produced scenarios real soon. Any coming with the developer's release?
SeaMonkey
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

These screenshots look great and I love the large scale which provides for a large number of units which gives us the best of both worlds - the super strategic and operational play. To wet my appetite I'm playing a multiplayer Brute Force which thanks to unexpected declarations of war has turned into an incredible show case for that earlier incarnation of SC - so I can't wait for the release of this new version.

The units icons are very impressive too. The only oddity for me are the staff icons represented by what looks like a commander poised over his operations table which seems out of kilter with the battle scenes around them.
ogre

Post by ogre »

Great shots. Looks like it's going to be a great game. From an old grognard.

Now that said, how about some shots with NATO symbols? I know the new crowd has to have more imagery in the icon. But IMHO, the NATO symbols provide a more clear overall picture.

Not to mention, NATO symbology SELLS to me, and the grognard market in general.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Beautiful work on the hexside rivers that look like rivers instead of hexsides [&o]
Josh

Post by Josh »

Have to agree with all the above, great screenshots and probably instant buy for me. Great work team!
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: ogre

Great shots. Looks like it's going to be a great game. From an old grognard.

Now that said, how about some shots with NATO symbols? I know the new crowd has to have more imagery in the icon. But IMHO, the NATO symbols provide a more clear overall picture.

Not to mention, NATO symbology SELLS to me, and the grognard market in general.

+1

NATO symbols are the key to prying open the rusted iron box that holds my limited wealth ....

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Daniele

Post by Daniele »

Hi, actually there is the possibility to switch from 3D images to NATO counters (and vice-versa) during the game through the game menu
YohanTM

Post by YohanTM »

ORIGINAL: Daniele

Hi, actually there is the possibility to switch from 3D images to NATO counters (and vice-versa) during the game through the game menu

Great, can you show a few screenshots?
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: YohanTM

I too am a fan of the NATO symbols but like the 3D images as well...except for the 3D images having those unsightly round bases which reminds me more of toy soldiers than a representation of an actual Army of Army Corps sized unit. They also block out a lot of the terrain features...

Is there any chance that the 3D images can be toggled on but without the bases?

This is of course only an extremely minor annoyance on my part as overall, the game looks fantastic and I can't wait to get it!!!

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Daniele

Post by Daniele »

ORIGINAL: YohanTM

Hi!

This is an example with NATO counters. The screen shows the situation on the french border before the german invasion

Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

I too am a fan of the NATO symbols but like the 3D images as well...except for the 3D images having those unsightly round bases which reminds me more of toy soldiers than a representation of an actual Army of Army Corps sized unit. They also block out a lot of the terrain features...

Is there any chance that the 3D images can be toggled on but without the bases?

This is of course only an extremely minor annoyance on my part as overall, the game looks fantastic and I can't wait to get it!!!

Glad to hear you are looking forward to the game and yes those 3D unit bases can be toggled on or off as desired. [:)]

The naval units in the screenshot are an example of this as their bases are turned off

However, one reason they are shown with unit bases is to help the 3D units pop out on the map. This is because we have a detailed and textured map and having detailed 3D units on top of that, results in it being easy to "lose" the 3D units on the map.

This is why the 3D naval units stand out well enough on their own since the sea background is much less detailed, and also why the NATO counters in the above screenshot stand out so well also, but in reverse, i.e. less detailed NATO counters on top of a more detailed background etc.

But in the end we do leave the option for players to configure their units as desired in game, NATO vs 3D, unit bases or not.

Hope this helps,
Hubert
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Looking good Herbert / Daniele - thanks for the NATO images.

I may yet buy this game ....

Is there an option to make the hex grid more visible?

Saw one above but looked rather faint ...

n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Is there an option to make the hex grid more visible?

Saw one above but looked rather faint ...

As in all SC games the hex grid can be activated. [:)]
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

@ DonCzirr

The pictures have all been taken with the hex grid deactivated. When hexes on these pictures are outlined, than only to show the player his movement or attack allowance.
SC games always had an option to activate / deactived hex grids (and formerly square grids), and this game will have this option too. And once activated, the lines are dark, and not at all faint. Imagine your classical hex board game with black hex line color. That is pretty much what this game will offer you if you decide to play with the hex grid activated. If you're a friend of this grid, it will look like "welcome back from retirement, General, please, sit down, and let me show you the situation on your map here, sir."
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Thanks guys - I thought I saw one above - but that seems to have only been a sea movement area.

Any pics with the Grid on?

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

As the humble owner of every SC every released, I will share one comment. The graphics look great. But I still feel the snow is a bit overdone and makes it hard to read city names, etc. At least in the resolutions we have seen thus far. Of course, my piddling criticism would be moot if an on/off option was provided [;)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I just can't get used to all the units having a 10 counter. I'm used to seeing the power of the unit right there on the unit and not having to look elsewhere. If it's a 4-4-4 put a 4-4-4 out there. If it's a 12-8-6 then put that out there as well. 10 on every counter looks 2nd grade to me and lazy programming.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Funny, that has always bothered me too. The "10" always felt too abstract for me, but it's always been that way. Schwerpunkt's WWIIe counters are full of info, but the game has a much larger learning curve.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”