Visit to Normandy photos

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

patrickl

Visit to Normandy photos

Post by patrickl »

Utah Beach on Saturday 3 Sep 2016. Beautiful weather. Lots of people, Americans, locals.

Attachments
IMG_1923a.jpg
IMG_1923a.jpg (138.44 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Banner designed by rogueusmc
patrickl

RE: VISIT TO NORMANDY PHOTOS

Post by patrickl »

The Point.

Attachments
IMG_1934a.jpg
IMG_1934a.jpg (192.54 KiB) Viewed 228 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

The American Cemetery at Normandy. I am uploading in my hotel in Bayeux. Bit slow.

Attachments
IMG_1981a.jpg
IMG_1981a.jpg (186.76 KiB) Viewed 228 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Bayeux Military Museum. I use my iPhone and Canon to shoot. Lots of photos. Got to catch the Bayeux-Paris train in 3 hours. I will post more tonight when I am in London. I will post the complete stuff when I am back home.

Attachments
IMG_2027a.jpg
IMG_2027a.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 229 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

The notes to the previous photo.

Attachments
IMG_2030a.jpg
IMG_2030a.jpg (466.01 KiB) Viewed 228 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

MG42 at left side. The glass display is making taking photos a bit difficult because of the reflection.

Attachments
IMG_2067a.jpg
IMG_2067a.jpg (221.35 KiB) Viewed 228 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Sorry guys the photos are grainy. My iPhone 4s is old. The photos in my new camera hopefully are better.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. Normandy is one of the locations I want to visit someday....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Normandy has changed very much since D day..On that day most of the beach was covered with flat rocks the size of a large hamburger..Today is is mostly marble-sized...The hedgerows which used to be just behind the beaches are now gone.

BTW, the weapon shown above slung on the front of the Wehrmacht dummy is a SturmGewehr 42-44, which the Kalishnikov was based on.
The German belt buckle reads "Gott Mit Uns", designating regular army use.

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Very nice photos - I hope to go there someday.

Thanks for posting!

It must be eerie walking on those beaches...
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Have you also seen the railgun ? It was in a smaller museum not ont hebeaches I believe...it is pretty peaceful there.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Excellent Work ! I wish to be there one day as well.

oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Normandy has changed very much since D day..On that day most of the beach was covered with flat rocks the size of a large hamburger..Today is is mostly marble-sized...The hedgerows which used to be just behind the beaches are now gone.

BTW, the weapon shown above slung on the front of the Wehrmacht dummy is a SturmGewehr 42-44, which the Kalishnikov was based on.

Stug44 was issued to Eastern Front units mainly - I remember reading it somewhere. I'm surprised to see it in a D-Day Museum.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Stug44 was issued to Eastern Front units mainly - I remember reading it somewhere. I'm surprised to see it in a D-Day Museum.

It was also used in the west, if photo I saw was correct labelled it said, Ardennes front (several heer guy with Stg 44s not even W-SS). STUG44 is wrong, STUG refers to assault guns. Stg44 is correct[;)]
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

It was also used in the west, if photo I saw was correct labelled it said, Ardennes front (several heer guy with Stg 44s not even W-SS). STUG44 is wrong, STUG refers to assault guns. Stg44 is correct[;)]

Actually their use of Stug is acceptable.
Sturm Gewehr is basically "assault weapon"..Might be a rifle, might be a turretless tank, but still an "assault weapon".

Dad was an infantry officer and met the original owners of much of the equipmnt in this museum, (or had a possibility to meet them that morning.
By the time my brother and I were 6, we had fired every small arm used by the Wehrmacht, (which he obtained).

That MG42 was also the basis of our M-60 MG...The German MG34 was actually a superior weapon than its' newer (and cheaper) knock off.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Actually their use of Stug is acceptable.
Sturm Gewehr is basically "assault weapon"..Might be a rifle, might be a turretless tank, but still an "assault weapon".

Dad was an infantry officer and met the original owners of much of the equipmnt in this museum, (or had a possibility to meet them that morning.
By the time my brother and I were 6, we had fired every small arm used by the Wehrmacht, (which he obtained).

That MG42 was also the basis of our M-60 MG...The German MG34 was actually a superior weapon than its' newer (and cheaper) knock off.

I've always considered it counterproductive to use up ammo that fast on a light infantry weapon.

Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Sorry to picknick or nickpick or whatever the yanks say...but the difference STUG and Stg is pretty important.. esp. for the admins right. Say a regiment comander requests in 1945 500 STUGs for his men.... the answer will be: "Are you crazy we have hardly 200 Sturmgeschütze left on the whole east front and you want 500??" [;)]

Also the MG3 (which I know from Luftwaffe in the 90ties) is a bit better MG42 with slower ROF and yes, it is true the orig. ROF was to high... MG3 ROF is terrible enough
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

I will visit the Imperial War Museum today. I will take as many photos as possible. I will take note of the German Army stuff. The wifi in the hotel is not good. Only 1 free ac and that is my hand phone. I can't use my laptop to resize photos and post. I will buy some data plan for my laptop and post some more photos tonight. Cheers!
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Omaha Beach looking east. The breach is popular with the locals swimming. Utah Beach attracts lesser crowd.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (103.02 KiB) Viewed 228 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

From the beach

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (120.25 KiB) Viewed 228 times