[Encountered a sharing violation] Error on install.

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
Hicks233

[Encountered a sharing violation] Error on install.

Post by Hicks233 »

I'm getting an error message every time that I try that prevents installation from completing:

"Encountered a sharing violation while accessing G:\Games\Close Combat Cross of Iron\Close Combat III\CC3res.exe"

This is when installing from the "CC-CrossofIron-SetupRelease-v360.exe" installer that I got here after redeeming the serial code I have from the boxed edition of the game.

I've done a registry sweep for references to Cross of Iron, Matrix or CC3res.exe.

Temporary files have been removed and I have uninstalled and cleared references to the original CC3 release.

Still, every time I try to install CoI it brings up this error. What is CC3res.exe and why is it causing this problem?
PipFromSlitherine

RE: [Encountered a sharing violation] Error on install.

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

It sounds like it could be a virus checker issue. Try disabling it for installation and see if that fixes the issue.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Hicks233

Post by Hicks233 »

Firewall (Zonealarm) and anti-virus (Panda) are both disabled. Still doesn't work. What is CC3res? Is it a resolution fix for the game?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

It is a resource file used by the game executable on startup. But if you are getting this error while installing the game, then some other software on your machine is accessing the file at install time. It is a conflict between the installer and something else, both trying to access the same file. 99% of the time this is an anti-virus program or disk management program. Close Combat itself is not even running at this point.

Windows might be keeping a virtual copy of the file from a previous installation -- this would be under the Windows 'AppData' directory which is hidden by default, so you'll need to change settings in the Windows file explorer to shown hidden files/folders to find it. Check for something like "C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Games\Close Combat Cross of Iron\". If this exists, delete the folder and everything under it.

Steve
Hicks233

Post by Hicks233 »

Thanks for the suggestions, no joy though.

Anti-virus and firewall are both disabled when trying to install and there are no signs of the listed files in the hidden AppData folders.

CC3 (original release) was uninstalled.

I'd done a registry sweep for references covering both the original release and entries for Matrix or Cross of Iron.

I've been able to install the game on an XP machine but it'd be nice to be able to install it on this main one.

If it helps there is a directory created with the CC3 files however you're unable to launch the game.
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

When you get the sharing violation message, perhaps try this:

http://superuser.com/questions/117902/f ... in-windows

To see what process has it open?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Hicks233

Post by Hicks233 »

When searching for the executables there was no conflict showing, they didn't even show up at all.

The CCRsrc.dll when searched for however would cause the process viewer to crash.

The games data files are installed it would seem but when trying to run CC3.exe then the message "There is an error with your serial number as entered. Error code 100."

Running autorun.exe gives the message; "Error: Could not find data file."

There is a CC3res.exe file. Opening it does nothing though.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Hi Hicks233,

If you're getting error messages about your serial number then either the serial number you entered was incorrect, or some files are messed up or missing.

I would try installing to a different location (such as C:\program files\ which I believe is the default) just to see if this makes a difference. Also do you have administrator permissions on this machine?

Steve
Hicks233

Post by Hicks233 »

The serial number ought to be fine. I bought a boxed edition of the game around 2008 I think and redeemed that key to the online account. Downloaded the installer (CC-CrossofIron-SetupRelease-v360.exe) and it installed fine on an offline XP machine using the same serial number that was redeemed.

Win 7 machine; Admin privileges and installer "Ran as Admin", same serial number and no luck. Tried default directory, custom directory and still no dice.

It's also displaying the same error message regarding the serial however it lists it as "Error Code 200" now when trying the CC3 executable.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Hi Hicks233,

Those error codes are from the Matrix layer of things, so I'm not sure what the difference is between 100 and 200. You can submit a support question here and ask: http://www.matrixgames.com/support/

Also, checking the Matrix support site, there are some additional steps they recommend that might help: http://www.matrixgames.com/support/faq.asp?id=2

One other suggestion I found while searching for info on the errors was to be make sure you're entering the dashes in the serial number (####-####-...etc)

Steve

Steve

Return to “Cross of Iron Support”