Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kemidov

RE: WitP-AE Topo Map Project

Post by kemidov »

chemkid,

Your maps look fantastic (this and Yamato Damashii)! If I saw them sooner I would get WiTP instead of Uncommon Valor. Which brings me to my question, do you know if they work with UV? I hope you say yes, so I can postpone (at least for some time) buying WiTP.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: kemidov

chemkid,

Your maps look fantastic (this and Yamato Damashii)! If I saw them sooner I would get WiTP instead of Uncommon Valor.

I did not play UV or even non-Admiral's Edition of WitP, but my understanding from the forums is that WitP was an expansion/refinement built upon the engine of UV, and WitPAE is a further enhancement of that. Then you heap on the great mods like Chemkid's maps on top of that.
kemidov

Post by kemidov »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

chemkid,

Your maps look fantastic (this and Yamato Damashii)! If I saw them sooner I would get WiTP instead of Uncommon Valor.

I did not play UV or even non-Admiral's Edition of WitP, but my understanding from the forums is that WitP was an expansion/refinement built upon the engine of UV, and WitPAE is a further enhancement of that. Then you heap on the great mods like Chemkid's maps on top of that.

I agree, but WitPAE isn't exactly what would you call a "cheap" game (I'm not saying how much it should or shouldn't cost). That's why I was reluctant to pull the trigger.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Chemkid, I found a typo on your Topo 2 map with labels. On-map label for "Dutch Harbor" reads "Dutch Habor". Is this beer related?[;)]

Reg

Post by Reg »

chemkid,

Your maps look fantastic (this and Yamato Damashii)! If I saw them sooner I would get WiTP instead of Uncommon Valor. Which brings me to my question, do you know if they work with UV? I hope you say yes, so I can postpone (at least for some time) buying WiTP.

The map format is compatible as UV uses an earlier version the same game engine.

However...... Chemkid's maps cover a different area so they will not be a drop-in replacement. Sorry. [:(]

(Unless of course you can convince him to do a conversion.... [:'(])

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Reg

Post by Reg »

The full UV map.......

This is just a planning map!! The real thing is a lot nicer.... [:D]
(Note the limited area and that North is up).

Interestingly if you check the UV files from 2002 on Spooky's site ( http://mathubert.free.fr/ ) there have been a lot of art mods for UV but few map mods except Rowlf's Map Mod (broken links).

(I think... 2003 seems to have vanished into the Bermuda Triangle!! [X(])

Attachments
UV_Planning_Map.gif
UV_Planning_Map.gif (479.72 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

That typo on Dutch Harbor is amazing - I must have looked at that 100s of times as I was setting up my Adak Island base!

Thanks Yaab, you just haaaaaaaad to find the pretty girl's flaw, didn't you? [:D] Where I was blissfully in ignorance before, now when I look at my North Pacific bases it goes like this:

But don't worry Chemkid,

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. [:D]

And what's this of a 'final' release? I noticed in your vector art, for instance, that a couple more bases are labelled than in Yamato Damashii v.1...
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

(the)Dutch Abhor?
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Dutch Harbor

Dutch Habor

Habor

HODOR
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

It is but a minor glitch in the label matrix. Nothing a pixelschnapps can't fix. Right, Chemkid?
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Attachments
Shortland.jpg
Shortland.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 147 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Trugrit, stop it or Chemkid will habor bad feelings towards us players. In RL the maps were not accurate.

And BTW, there is too much beer off-map and it doesn't help with label fixing.
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

The latest labels are used in my yamato damashii v2 - check it on its own thread. The 'harbor' typo isn't fixed for the downloadable tiles, though... [8D] (...it's fixed on my map already. check below for a v2-advertisement)

Oh, it's fixed on mine too... [:D]

While I was at it, I updated the canal...

I'm using the stock map in my current campaign, and I really like the Sunny version of the map - so I won't be switching to v2 anytime soon.

That said, I took a look at what you've changed - I like the direction that you took with the clouds, for instance, and have 'liberated' them for my v1 map - with one small change, I differentiated the weather severity with white, gray, and black clouds:

That's about all I'm changing for now because editing in raster mode is extra... fun - that's it, fun!

Also, there's really not much else I'd change anyway. I think Shortlands is what it is because of the database (and it kinda works anyway as a contraction for 'Shortland Islands'), but I would humbly suggest elevating the Solomon Islands title to be the next higher tier/format (same as Philippines, Borneo, Celebes, etc.) and adding a Bougainville label equivalent to New Britain and Guadalcanal. So the hierarchy would flow Solomon Islands --> New Britain + Bougainville + Guadalcanal (the three 'major' islands of the campaign) --> the various bases.

There's always the possibility of adding more labels, but the more I think about it, the more I appreciate the 'white space' you left in v1.

ORIGINAL: chemkid

Tbh, right now I rather like to play than to fix. Guess it will take time to fix all versions with my latest labels file.

No worries, I completely understand as I need to get back to playing the game myself!
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Trugrit, stop it or Chemkid will habor bad feelings towards us players. In RL the maps were not accurate.

Plus, Trugrit didn't even use the best version - Shortslands!:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

We should start a GoFundMe page to stock Chemkid's fridge with beer before the next major release, then have Greyjoy make an AAR with it!
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Hello Chemkid!

Are these comhpatible with the last release for RHS mod??

Cheers

ViperSP

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”