Support units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

garydj

Support units

Post by garydj »

Hi

I'm just wondering what people's views are on the number of support units to attach to a Soviet army HQ. I note that a maximum of six support units can join any one battle, but an army HQ may fight several battles in a single turn. Also, it seems that a player can attach any number of support units to a single HQ, but I expect that after a point, it would be diminishing returns to attach more support units to an HQ.

Cheers

Gary
NotOneStepBack

RE: Support units

Post by NotOneStepBack »

No answers? I'm curious to this as well. I usually load an Army HQ (soviet) with 7-9 support units.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I think there is no answer as it is a sensitive question with no standard answer. It is highly dependant of how you use support unit and how much you can afford and micromanage.
Your guess is as good as anyone.

One thing to consider is that supports units are strategic assets always in refit mode so they suck ressources from your front line units. So support units are to be.... where they are used.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Icier

Post by Icier »

If I remember correctly it also applies to construction units.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
morvael

Post by morvael »

3 artillery, 2 aa, 1 sapper, 1 construction is my minimum
Aditia

Post by Aditia »

Is there anything wrong with AT guns? Seems like a logical one to me on the defense. Also doesn't require experts to be somewhat effective, unlike artillery.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

2 Sapper regiments and at least 4 artillery regiments per Soviet Army HQ.

In general most of my game vs Pelton almost all of my Soviet army HQs were loaded with closer to 9+ SU which then decreased as I got Corps as all the Sappers started being directly attached to Soviet Corps.

my general rule for an area I wanted to keep was something like-
2-3x sapper regiments
1x mortar regiment/battalion
2x heavy artillery regiments- 152mm+ guns
4x regular artillery regiments - 122mm guns
1-2x rocket artillery regiments/battalions

Its an odd situation in the game where the more SU you have in the army the less chance your leader has to make the roll to attach them to a battle, but at least your also getting more rolls. Also having more SU can help you support more combats esp since after a combat or two any SU that were sent to those combats become less effective....and well sometimes the dice fall massively in your favor and you get a ton of SU in support of a battle which can tip the balance.

You can also stack some SU in the front HQ and try to keep it close/within 5 hexes of your combats and then they might send additional units in....also helps to launch attacks with at least 1 division from several armies as long as all the armies are in the same front---as then you get roll chances for each and every army and also the front commander to send SU....you can get quite the pile of support units in on a battle if u set it up right.

Also AA may be required now with all the Air changes....AA wasnt needed at all in the older version of the game I disbanded it all after leningrad.

Anyway is my 2 cents on it.
garydj

Post by garydj »

Many thanks for all the responses. It seems like the answer depends on the circumstances and each player's tactical approach.

Cheers

Gary

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”