What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sven6345789

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by sven6345789 »

Finished reading "the bombing war" by Richard Overy

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/ ... ery-review

Now I read " The sleepwalkers" by Christopher Clark

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/ ... ark-review
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

bump
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

This looks like it might be interesting - although will wait for a review first.

The Extinguished Flame: Olympians Killed in the Great War

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extinguished-F ... 1473877989
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wodin

Post by wodin »

Against the Tommies, The War of the Spanish Succession and Sulla: A dictator reconsidered are the three reviews currently published over at A Wargamers Needful Things. We have a few beign read for review including the novel Team Yankee and Leaping Horseman Publishing latest Iron Storm Brigade.

So make sure you drop in every so often to catch a new review!

LINK TO BOOK REVIEWS
wodin

Post by wodin »

Naval and Military Press are excellent. A lot of my WW1 memoirs are published by them.

ORIGINAL: sprior

Picked up a copy of Wellington in India by JAC Weller for £4. Not bad at all at that price

http://www.naval-military-press.com/wel ... india.html
radic202

Post by radic202 »

for those who love Fantasy like me! This is Fantastic!!!

Image[/img]
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Ken Follet's Fall of Giants, book 1 of the Century Trilogy.

Attachments
51PSEPcKYsL.jpg
51PSEPcKYsL.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 77 times
No problem Chief!
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

"In The Way of Kings, #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson introduces readers to the fascinating world of Roshar, a world of stone and storms. It has been centuries since the fall of the Knights Radiant, but their mystical swords and armor remain, transforming ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for them. Wars are fought for them and won by them. One such war rages on the Shattered Plains where Kaladin, son of a surgeon, has been reduced to slavery, and Dalinar, commander of the armies, is plagued by dreams of ancient times, doubting his own sanity. Across the ocean, Shallan, a naïve but brave and brilliant young woman, plans a daring theft to save her impoverished noble house from ruin. The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is Book 1 of The Stormlight Archive, an epic fantasy masterpiece in the making."

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.
ORIGINAL: radic202

Image[/img]
No problem Chief!
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Max 86

"In The Way of Kings, #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson introduces readers to the fascinating world of Roshar, a world of stone and storms. It has been centuries since the fall of the Knights Radiant, but their mystical swords and armor remain, transforming ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for them. Wars are fought for them and won by them. One such war rages on the Shattered Plains where Kaladin, son of a surgeon, has been reduced to slavery, and Dalinar, commander of the armies, is plagued by dreams of ancient times, doubting his own sanity. Across the ocean, Shallan, a naïve but brave and brilliant young woman, plans a daring theft to save her impoverished noble house from ruin. The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is Book 1 of The Stormlight Archive, an epic fantasy masterpiece in the making."

Image[/img]

I mean it, you will not regret it! And that is coming from someone who reads at least one Fantasy novel per month. This is a hell of a big read but worth every minute of it. If you want to try something lighter from Sanderson, "the Mistborn" series is also fantastic and he did complete the "Wheel of Time" series when Jordan died before completing it. His way of incorporating Magic and explaining it is simply phenomenal as well as his World Building.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Heard a lot of good things about Sanderson, even listened to his podcast about writing for a long time, need to dive into some of his stuff.

Right now I'm working my way through the complete works of Lovecraft. Read about half of it last year, which was mostly short stories (they are in the order written) but now there have been several relatively lengthy stories. Can't decide which I like better. The variety of the short stories was great, but also left me feeling more like I had experienced a dream rather than an actual plot.
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

I just picked up two books from my local Oxfam, X Platoon by Steve Heaney and Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre. A bargain at £1.99 each! Mincemeat has been recommended to me several times, and X Platoon looks quite interesting; should scratch my SAS-itch, at least.

Anyone read either?
wodin

Post by wodin »

The armour sounds like the armour in Riftwar Trilogy by R Feist that turns the lad into a mighty warrior\god from the past, loved that part of the story..

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Image[/img]
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Just started Pacific Crucible: War At Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942 by Ian Toll. I am on chapter 4 and really enjoying it. I is book 1 in a trilogy.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Crucible ... c+Crucible
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Just started Pacific Crucible: War At Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942 by Ian Toll. I am on chapter 4 and really enjoying it. I is book 1 in a trilogy.

Looks like an excellent trilogy from an excellent author and naval historian! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

Saw Steel Inferno: I SS Panzer Corps in Normandy in a local bookshop window and couldn't resist. It seems to describe tactics in quite fascinating detail; I'm not particularly knowledgable about Normandy so this looks to rectify that.

I should probably stop buying and start reading!
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Sounds interesting, but I fail to locate the 3rd book of the trilogy. There is this one, and "The Conquering Tide - War in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944", but what's the title of book #3?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

i'm halfway through.

An interesting fact that he highlights that we have known for ages but never really thought about.

UK casualties caused by bombing 1939-1941 - some 45,000

German civilians killed by bombing 1939 -1941 - 950

And the UK's bomber command began the campaign conceived as a heavy bomber force to attack industry. mounted operations most nights, as did the Germans, and achieved almost nothing.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Reading Leaping Horsemen's new book Iron Cross Brigade, which will be reviewed on the blog. It's another Jason Mark classic.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Hi Hotschi, the third book isn't out yet. Still being written/revised to my knowledge.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thank you, will keep a note and wait and see...
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Return to “General Discussion”