GD1938 Game 23

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

ironduke1955

RE: GD1938 Game 23

Post by ironduke1955 »

Yes Germany had forgotten about the deadly Paramaribo Militia armed with slices of Guava Fruit, the US must tremble indeed.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The lack of general information about what is happening where one does not have units nearby is a unrealistic aspect of this simulation. I saw three German held hexes, but a quick look in all the newspapers revealed nothing about what brought them about. From what I could see it looked like an invasion, and it still could be an invasion, who knows.

The fog of war does not imply that there is no information available at all. Newspapers did report general (censored) data about the battles. Our only mechanism to replicate this sort of news is players telling one another of events which would have been general knowledge.

I sent naval and air units to recon the Paramaribo location but was not able to learn much.

=========

A general overview of American perceptions :

We are building up our armed forces and have entered a defensive alliance with France and Great Britain. We never saw the French and British as potential enemies, and wanted to be in a position to counter the Axis strength without going to war. Our position in Portugal counters the Axis, Italian, one in Spain. We consider the British strike on the U-boats to have been ill advised, but never for a moment were we confused as to British motivation. Germany has attacked the Netherlands and Poland, and her diplomatic alliance with the Soviet Union is troubling. Currently only the British and French oppose the Axis drive. Germany has had remarkable success, and her ambition seems unbounded.

The United States regrets the Italian alignment with Germany. They are facilitating the destruction of the European family of nations, and we hope they regain the independence they gave away too early.

Japan has gained hugely from the gifts of former European colonies. She has now turned to the western hemisphere with Argentina under Japanese control. If war comes between the United States and the Axis there will then be a South American front. We know that Germany has a port in South America also. The United States must see these Axis outposts as threats. The USA does not want war with Japan. The USA does not want war period.

We know far too little about the war in the Atlantic, and encourage our allies to inform us of all developments and strength ratios at sea.

The USSR has victory points, but nowhere near enough to be a winner. Currently she is engaged in a war with Poland, and the Allies, and dealing with the new German Masters of Europe. Germany will certainly be so grateful for this help that she will be friends with the Soviets forever, or perhaps not. The United States welcomes diplomatic engagement with the Soviet Union.

China is currently aligned with the Soviets, and we have offered them an alliance. The European Axis has also offered them some sort of alliance. We are hoping that China will join with us.

Once again we remind readers that there is much we do not know. We do not bear the German people ill will, but Germany, defeated in the last Great War, is becoming too powerful. We want to provide a counter-balance.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The lack of general information about what is happening where one does not have units nearby is a unrealistic aspect of this simulation. I saw three German held hexes, but a quick look in all the newspapers revealed nothing about what brought them about. From what I could see it looked like an invasion, and it still could be an invasion, who knows.

Yes, I agree, do you have a solution for this?
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The players could be much more informative in AAR posts, but this would be an extra burden for them.

Maybe you could make total manpower for each nation available as a general report each month. I think this could be as detailed as the one you give each player of his own. This might allow some indication of gross battle results. In any case it would be interesting reading, and give some idea of relative strengths.

Could you report who holds what cities each turn so we could look for changes. I would have been alerted to a change at Paramaribo.

I would like both of these reports myself.

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

This seems to be a gathering place for GD1938 people so I will ask if the minors surrounding Germany don't seem a little strong.

Can Germany and the USSR roll over Poland as they did historically?

Are the minor (Czech, Belgian, Polish, Dutch) divisions really that strong? As I prepare a German turn for Game 24 I am intimidated!

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

As I am looking at the map for Game 24 I notice that Suriname, and Paramaribo, their city is indeed German. Shouldn't this be Dutch in 1938?

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I had almost the entire German Army on the Dutch German border when the British attacked the U-Boats in the channel, a Dow on Holland had a 52% chance of forcing a Dutch capitulation including all of the Dutch colonies and that is what happened the Germans inherited some far flung outposts none of them defencible.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

The odds of defeating the poles in just over a month are slim but then the France campaign was not much longer historically. If the game was based on weeks not months then maybe it could be done within the original time frame, but Vic took us through this before the design of the game was to allow combat to flow not in real time with accurate movement rates, but at a pace that would allow some ebb and flow without overwhelming results. The Germans in 1941 advanced from the Soviet border to beyond Smolensk in just over a month ATG and most other games using you go I go system do not allow historical mechanized warfare movement rates. And of course a stack of units in a city with high fortification rates are a tough nut to crack, trouble is the hexes in GD1938 are 50K wide so that is one big city, we have to much city area that creates to many strong points, and a army that just fights in cities has lost the war.

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

As I am looking at the map for Game 24 I notice that Suriname, and Paramaribo, their city is indeed German. Shouldn't this be Dutch in 1938?

Chuck

Yes, it should be and is (unless something really weird has happened) a dutch area.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The German first turn had it already German. I think if you open the "Y" scenario you will find it so.

Chuck
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I did so, and it was not german, but "neutral".
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

You are right!

I was thrown off by the "grey" color and did not hover over the hex.

All is explained now. Tom got the Netherlands to capitulate and it became German.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Just as a footnote I decided to Influence the Czechs rather than invade, so the Dutch and Czechs the Germans did not have to fight, I guess if you don't mind spending 18 to 20 months at peace you could influence the Polish and the Czechs. If you have some luck you can also intimidate more minors without a fight, the first two you have a good chance of forcing a capitulation, risky however if you are at peace with the most influential power, best to wait until a shooting war starts.

falco148

Post by falco148 »

Anyone know when game 24 is going to start?
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

We need at least one more player for the Italians. And then we are good to go. A French players also would be nice but we could start without one, more work for bombur.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Japan's ambition has driven her to perfidy.

The United States maintained cordial relations with Japan, shipping her oil without sanctions. Now she has struck at France, Great Britain, and the United States without warning.

The USA supports Brazil in attacking Japanese controlled Argentina. The USN has begun to wage war in the Pacific where the Philippines has been struck by IJN forces. This war is not going to be short, and our commitment is firm.

FDR
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

October 1939

Warsaw falls and the Germans turns north in France taking Toulouse.

Germany is surprised at the attack on the British, but as a ally of Germany and Italy and in the light of the perfidious British attack on the Italians and Germans, the Japanese have joined in the War attacking the foes of their allies. Its unfortunate that the USA have chosen to ally with the aggressors the UK and France, Germany begged the US to reconsider but they have chosen and nothing can now be done.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 59 times

MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

I am obviously quite new to this game. In vanilla AT I would know how to slow down or even stop a tank army, but in this mod I seem to be totally unable to stop the German tanks. I can't even kill a single one of them although I am now having AT-Gun III and Dive Bomber III. Also tanks can just mach into cities full of infantry and still they are not harmed. Am I just stupid? How to stop this?
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

With respect this is a Panzer Army not pure tank, the offensive was supported by a huge quantity of artillery, the artillery reduced the readiness and entrenchment levels of the defending units, air assets can also reduce readiness and entrenchment levels, Toulouse was defended by 2 French infantry divisions and also a HQ with mostly staff elements and transport assets. regards the hex itself it is 50 kilometers across Toulouse today is some 4 to 5 Kilometers across, it was a lot smaller in 1939 so we have 4 Panzer Divisions equipped with the latest Panzer IVd's against 2 French infantry divisions, the Germans Panzer Divisions supported by the artillery assets of the 1st SS Panzer Army and the three German Infantry armies in Southern France all focused on a narrow front. If the attack had not had artillery support then it would not necessarily have succeeded if the defenders entrenchment level was high enough and it certainly would have been a lot bloodier for the attacker.

"How to stop this?"

I will leave someone else to explain but as the French historically were also unable to stop the Germans in 1940 the answer lies in shaping the battlefield and focusing resources. The Shaping lies in entrenchment and limiting point of attack, the longer a infantry division stays in place the higher the entrenchment level, this reflects the ability of Infantry to fortify a area mines fixed positions etc, think of El Alamein the Germans due to Geography forced to attack in a pre prepared defensive position prepared over months with minefields fixed AT positions air cover etc, as things stand in the South things have broken up and are now fluid that only suits the Germans.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

October 1939

The IJN and USN are battling in the Pacific. Both Saipan and Pelielu have been attacked by air.

Attachments
T24_Guamish.jpg
T24_Guamish.jpg (102.79 KiB) Viewed 59 times

Return to “After Action Reports”