Opponents Wanted GD1938 Game 24

Post here to meet players for MP games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderator: Vic

ironduke1955

Opponents Wanted GD1938 Game 24

Post by ironduke1955 »

Looking for anyone who would like to give GD1938 MOD a try

This will be a fast game no penalties of course but it would be appreciated if turns can be played within 24 hours or thereabouts.

So far we have.

GD 1938 Game 24

Germany ?
Italy ?
Japan LJBurstyn
USSR ?
France ?
United Kingdom ?
United States of America ?
China ironduke
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Bombur

RE: Opponents Wanted GD1938 Game 24

Post by Bombur »

I can play BG, France or both...
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

So far we have new players welcome.

GD 1938 Game 24

Germany ?
Italy ?
Japan LJBurstyn
USSR baloo7777
France ?
United Kingdom Bombur
United States of America Falco
China ironduke
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

GD 1938 Game 24

Germany cpdeyoung
Italy ?
Japan LJBurstyn
USSR baloo7777
France ?
United Kingdom Bombur
China ironduke
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Please start thinking about the rules set we want to play with. How do we all feel about the new victory conditions?

Personally I will not be sure till more turns have gone by in Game 23, and I would be fine with the old ones too.

Chuck
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I don't like being forced to choose between victory options on the first turn. So I like the new victory options in game 23.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I tend to agree with Larry to go back to the original victory conditions without a complete game to judge them by is premature, and unfair on the mod creators who are looking for a sample complete game to judge the new victory conditions, and I did think as game 23 is very slow that we could push this game forward quickly and get a sense from this game 24 on how the new victory conditions work or not.

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Ok looking for a Italy player and a France player to take part a quicker game of GD 1938 if any gamer's have wanted to give the mod a try then its time to throw your hat into the ring.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Please consider a six player game.

Italy - cpdeyoung
France - Bombur

Germany cpdeyoung
Japan LJBurstyn
USSR baloo7777
United Kingdom Bombur
China ironduke

France is a bit smallish for the long run, and Germany-Italy is a better aggressor than Germany alone.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thing is with the new rules Germany and Italy are looking like a pretty substantial advantage for one player, basically you have a stooge to further Germany's war goals, a independent Italy would looking at how they could win.

UK France not quite the same thing, with France against a good German player its just a matter of time before the hammer falls.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Thing is with the new rules Germany and Italy are looking like a pretty substantial advantage for one player, basically you have a stooge to further Germany's war goals, a independent Italy would looking at how they could win.

The Italians will look a long time if they are looking for a "major" win.

I do not agree that the advantage is greater than you enjoyed in games 21 and 22 when you played GR-IT. The European Axis must be strong enough to be a threat to world peace. I wonder when you were planning on attacking in Game 23 if GB-FR had not slapped at the U-boats.

Looking at the map in 1938 I am not seeing Germany as an aggressive power. I do not have a better tank than PzII-C and the build-able PzIII-D is fabulously expensive. With every production source building PP we manage 74. The "minor" powers have infantry divisions stronger than mine. Even with Italy I will not be looking for a fight. I don't need Lebenstraum. I have no thoughts that the Slavs are untermensch. Some of my gaming companions live in the UK!

These new victory conditions make me a very peaceful fellow.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

cpdeyoung
"You had the advantage of commanding Germany and Italy, which I consider just as valuable as the China/USA combo that Larry is so concerned about"

I have to beg to differ on Italy I have done well with Italy you can increase base production to 100+ Production Points more with factories fighter's are good generic heavy tanks also fairly good. As you said its a advantage.

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I know Italy under complete German control is an advantage.

That is why I want it.

However I do not see Italy on its own getting the 33% for Major victory. Two many bigger players out there.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

"I do not agree that the advantage is greater than you enjoyed in games 21 and 22 when you played GR-IT. The European Axis must be strong enough to be a threat to world peace."

Not really my argument of course Italy was a advantage but in those games a adjunct is how I would describe Italy, its victory conditions often conflicting with Germany's so not really a power with a prayer. Now however depending on the player it could see its way to victory, with some timing and politicking.

"I wonder when you were planning on attacking in Game 23 if GB-FR had not slapped at the U-boats."

Well game 23 is ongoing so I will only say that I have the plans for the peace park to be built in Berlin, so sad it would have been lovely.

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Looking for Two more players, to play France and Italy.

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Give Italy to Germany and France to GB....
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

An interesting alternative, that would not mess up turn order, could be that Japan also played Italy.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Looks like a fun group. I have no multiplayer experience, and I haven't checked out this mod yet. Should I attempt to gain more experience in one, the other, or both before tossing my hat in?
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Welcome, we will love a new combatant!

Please note that we are hoping for a "fast game" with rapid turnover of turns.

I am scheduled to play Germany in a Game 24 so let me address some "multiplayer" aspects :

As you might have noticed this game has been on hold because there is objection to Germany and Italy being played by the same player. It is felt that this would make the two countries act as one. If I played both I would attempt to optimize the chances for German victory. If you would play Italy it is felt that you would be more independent.

On the other hand in Game 23 Germany and Italy are very closely cooperating, and Japan is a third partner in an Axis. This mod is not plain vanilla ATG, not even very close. If Germany does not have a skilled, pretty cooperative partner in Italy it will change the whole nature of the game.

There is only a single grand victor in this version (new victory conditions) and possible multiple lesser victors. In my opinion it will be very difficult for Italy to be the grand victor. However a nation only has to be on the "winning side" to be a lesser victor.

One path to a victory for Italy is to ally and campaign vigorously with the Germans, and perhaps the Japanese. If this path appeals to you we could ally as soon as possible and follow the Game 23 path. If you would be interested we could discuss this arrangement by email and my email address is available through Matrix. I would "mentor" you if you would want some general guidance to the interesting variants this mod introduces. ... However ... You are welcome to play Italy with no concern for those ruffians to the north and thumb your nose at the Third Reich.

I know we all appreciate your offer to join and are delighted to have you join us. If italy does not appeal to you there is always France, or we could probably shuffle players and countries to get you another slot. In any case please know you are most welcome!

Chuck

PS : The AARs are not all they could be but they will be an interesting read for you as you approach GD1938!
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Welcome Tortugapower

I am slated to play China if you don't find Italy or France attractive then I would be happy to swap China for Italy, China is normally a entry level power as the combat is almost purely land based.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”