Matrix TW style ?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

operating

Matrix TW style ?

Post by operating »

Got to wondering if Matrix can/could do a style of gaming similar to TW Empire, Napoleon, perhaps American Civil War, maybe a WW I number, ect.?
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Vasquez

RE: Matrix TW style ?

Post by Vasquez »

Yeah. We (and Matrixgames) really needs a Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory successor.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Vasquez

Yeah. We (and Matrixgames) really needs a Forge of Freedom/Crown of Glory successor.

Yes, just took a look at "Forge of Freedom" in the store, however it was released in 2006 and has a wego interface, which is not my cup of tea. What I like about TW are the RTS battles, otherwise it has strategic movement somewhat like many games and is turn based....
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Maybe take a look at "The seven years war". Iam enjoying this one. But you have to overcome the bad UI and its tiny buttons. The strategic AI is also bad (to passive) while the tactical is quite good:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400470/

If you like Roman Empire stuff I would recommend Hegemony III: http://store.steampowered.com/app/308173/

operating

Post by operating »

Really what this thread is about: What can we expect from Matrix development in the future? Is there going to be diverse ways of playing period games down the road? I'm just one in a crowd of wishful thinkers who'd like to get a message out there to Matrix to keep their thinking caps on as to what customers might like to see...
budd

Post by budd »

I'd like to see Panzer Command updated, new engine would be good[:)] but i'll take what i can get. Besides CM and maybe APOS there isn't anything else out there.Come on Matrix give CM some competition.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

I'd love to see something with a similiar Operational & Strategic layer. The battles in TW haven't interested me since the first one (Shogun). A serious approach, with depth would have been my preference for the Total War line to go, but, they opted for graphics over depth. Something that may scratch that itch is this; http://www.orientalempires.com/ Not enough games cover Asian history. I will have to give this one serious consideration. Curious how it ends up.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Yes, something that can take on CM would be great.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Wow, it looks interesting, I must say.
A Sharif
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: operating

Yes, just took a look at "Forge of Freedom" in the store, however it was released in 2006 and has a wego interface, which is not my cup of tea. What I like about TW are the RTS battles, otherwise it has strategic movement somewhat like many games and is turn based....

You play the rts battles? Seems a little unfavorable to the AI. I play it auto calc on higheest difficulty after tweaking with the settings in the .ini file. Much more challenging for me that way.

I'd like to play the rts but it's just too much of a push over and predictable. Norbsoft's series of games has a much better ai for that.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

I'd love to see something with a similiar Operational & Strategic layer. The battles in TW haven't interested me since the first one (Shogun). A serious approach, with depth would have been my preference for the Total War line to go, but, they opted for graphics over depth. Something that may scratch that itch is this; http://www.orientalempires.com/ Not enough games cover Asian history. I will have to give this one serious consideration. Curious how it ends up.

Actually Medieval TW I before they went the casual root was pretty good after Shogun. The risklike board was much better than the 1000's of squares the ai couldn't deal with in the rest of the series.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

Yes, that game looks to have a lot of potential, also the engine looks to be adaptable to other era's.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: operating

You play the rts battles? Seems a little unfavorable to the AI. I play it auto calc on higheest difficulty after tweaking with the settings in the .ini file. Much more challenging for me that way.

I'd like to play the rts but it's just too much of a push over and predictable. Norbsoft's series of games has a much better ai for that.
No, I have Norb's Gettysburg (quality stuff), but the continuous RTS from the beginning of the scenario till the end kinda wears on me after awhile, plus I like the layers of play in TW, which breaks up the intensity of just one continuous battle. Usually I play on hard and try different tactics...

Return to “General Discussion”