Need Lite version of this game

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Texican

Need Lite version of this game

Post by Texican »

Would like to see simplified land/amphib action, elimination of headquarters and the minutiae of non-combat units, some way to get rid of a turn spending 10 minutes on stuff like the Dutch launching a 3-plane raid that hits nothing, etc... And make "quiet China" really quiet, by roping off that section of the map, altogether. Have stuff like "send points to China or suffer VP point penalty", etc..., stuff like that.

The carrier and naval/air ops are good, keep that. But an in-between sort of game, something that could run faster yet keep the naval/air realism would be good. Need a game that's a step down from WITP.
btd64

RE: Need Lite version of this game

Post by btd64 »

You don't want this game then. Maybe Carrier Battles or something. AE isn't for everyone. And that's OK. Try small scenarios from babes or the vanilla small ones....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Um, No.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You should try Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. It's very historically accurate. They have a PBEM version now. Knock his block off! Referencing another thread, I've created a mod where the robots wear lingerie.

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

The game you have described Texican is called "Pacific Theatre of Operations" (PTO for short) there is 4 of them but IMHO only the first 2 are worth playing. If you can get past the graphical limits the game's have, then they are perfect for you.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You should try Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. It's very historically accurate. They have a PBEM version now. Knock his block off! Referencing another thread, I've created a mod where the robots wear lingerie.

What was the name of that show were it was in the old west or something and the people were robots. Came out in the 70's I think....GP

WestWorld or something
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

West World is correct. Yul Brynner was a robot. It was part of a series, I think one was "Future World".

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It was by Michael Chrichton, who also did "Terminal Man" and "The Andromeda Strain" (which was an excellent book and movie). He also did "Jurassic Park".

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

As well ~ not for me

Each to his own.

--

The other game you describe is "Pacific General" ~ the old SSI game ~ at least in my opinion.

Battles >> Campaign >> A little bit of troop upgrade and unit info >> Prestige = Victory points >> Core units >> etc

The General Series 1st edition.

I costs something like "the price of a pint of beer" at Good Old Games.com.

I still have it on my hard drive but have not opened it for years.

In fact I am not sure it works on windows 10 albeit it did work just fine on windows 7 ~

I bought back up retrofitted versions of all may favorite old games at GOG and all the ones I did test still work fine.

I imagine the graphics are somewhat impaired but then AE is not exactly video card intensive either.
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Schlussel

Post by Schlussel »

I particularly like the depth of WITP:AE, and share MacClan5's sentiments. However, if you want something that demands a smaller time investment, there's a game called "War Plan Pacific" that may fit the bill. The focus is all on carrier and surface combat, land related actions are ignored... and there's no China action to speak of. You definitely lose some realism but that's the trade-off.
You say we're surrounded?
Excellent!
That means we can attack in any direction.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Texican

Would like to see simplified land/amphib action, elimination of headquarters and the minutiae of non-combat units, some way to get rid of a turn spending 10 minutes on stuff like the Dutch launching a 3-plane raid that hits nothing, etc... And make "quiet China" really quiet, by roping off that section of the map, altogether. Have stuff like "send points to China or suffer VP point penalty", etc..., stuff like that.

The carrier and naval/air ops are good, keep that. But an in-between sort of game, something that could run faster yet keep the naval/air realism would be good. Need a game that's a step down from WITP.

Advice:

1. Turn off combat animations (you can also turn off combat reports and just check them in the ops log next turn), this will cut down on time per turn.
2. Play quiet China
3. Play War in the Pacific (not Admiral's edition)
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Actually, what Texican is kinda describing can be found in the original Pacific War, which although a bit dated in graphics, is still a heck of a game. Still available from Matrix, although whether current machines can play it is another story.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Texican

Whimp! [:D][:D][:D] Seriously , you check into the early versions.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Actually, what Texican is kinda describing can be found in the original Pacific War, which although a bit dated in graphics, is still a heck of a game. Still available from Matrix, although whether current machines can play it is another story.
IF Texican has minimal computer skills, PacWar will run under DOSBox. He just needs to be able to "mount" the drive properly, for which there are instructions.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
mrchuck

Post by mrchuck »

Personally I think Texican's idea has great merit. WITPAE is a total grognard experience, that's for sure, and it reminds me in many respects of S&T's old War in the Pacific which had many of the same problems i.e. it's just too damn fiddly.

I have always believed that the minutiae of staff problems like e.g. making sure support units get loaded with combat units is not worth modelling at the grand strategic level. What I'd like is something between AE and pacwar, and towards the AE end of the spectrum. Anyone have any serious suggestions?

What would be even better is a staff module in AE that takes care of all this stuff for the player, without having to hand over a whole theatre to the AI (you might as well let the computer play with itself and walk away), but that won't happen I guess.

The old games mentioned so far are primitive to say the least.
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

The original WITP plays fine on Windows 7. I actually installed it a few months ago so I could copy it's icon to use on my AE tools shortcut folder. Before I uninstalled it, I ran a few turns to refresh my memory of the differences. It was a good game, but I wouldn't want to go back to it.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I value the detail in the game and think in particular, though it might seem outrageous, the ability to watch over, direct the training of, and assign individual pilots to particular squadrons relevant. The cliché is that the IJN was not prepared to replace crew losses and never caught up may be cliché but it is also true. The ability to do something about that (as the Japanese player) is, to me, central to the value of this game. I am not interested in what if mods in general, but I respect the game for giving you the option, beginning on 12/8/41 to not make the same mistakes but/and be faced with the same conditions as historical. I think the game also, legitimately, teaches us about the dominance of air power that expressed itself in this war despite so many strategists ignoring it.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Reg

Post by Reg »

Uncommon Valor is on a smaller scale and plays well if Texican likes this genre. However it lacks a lot of the later game features of WITP-AE.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/216/details/Uncommon.Valor

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There are a number of smaller scenarios for AE. Some are included with the game as well as some player created scenarios.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”