Tank Production - Japan

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

Tank Production - Japan

Post by ny59giants »

After years away from playing Japan, I'm back at it vs Gen Patton in RHS mod. It is a different beast than DBB based mods which I've been playing as Allies for year. We just got to Feb 1st '42. I expanded Vehicle factories to 250 and the Dutch airframe factories were just captured, so its up to 270 now. However, I don't seem to be able to generate any surplus and Tracker is telling me I need over 400 Type 1 Medium Tanks to fill out my three tank divisions and multiple tank brigades TO&E. Every turn Tracker tells me I'm "critical" in this area (cannot get above 50). What steps do I need to do to get some tanks?!? [:(] Help your fellow economics minister.

Thanks in advance!
[center]Image[/center]
SheperdN7

RE: Tank Production - Japan

Post by SheperdN7 »

Type 1 medium tanks? Don't those come out in 06/42? Until then I believe you're stuck with the type 97, which is the upgrade to the type 89A tank ( which is awful)

How many Vehicle Points are in the pool? Open the industry tab and post a screenshot please and thank you, also post a screenshot of your troop pools.

I would also recommend expanding your vehicle factories a little more as you will need the extra points for late-war replacements and upgrades, tank losses for IJA skyrocket when the allies get their upgraded infantry squads with their higher A/Arm values.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

In the short run, you can turn on stockpiling of Motorized Support - that uses vehicle points. However, it's normal for vehicle points to be low for much of the early war. Very normal. I'm in February in my newest game and not yet above 1000 (which is the threshold for "Critical"). Gotten close a few times, but then of course a few units arrive...

You may need to expand vehicle production further, far beyond 270, if the tank units in for you in this mod are higher than in stock (which is my reference point).

Another thing - look on the LCU Production set, then the chart for Vehicle points. Look at your trend lines. That will tell you if you simply need to budget now, or if you need to expand. FWIW, I shoot for a projected 100K surplus over all my LCU arrival needs under the assumption that this will be enough for replacements throughout the war.
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Type 97 Chi Ha still worse than anything the Allies can field
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

I believe the upgraded version of the Chi-Ha was superior to Stuarts and could stand a chance against Shermans if used properly. The 47mm gun was the best AT gun Japan fielded in great numbers, and was capable of knocking out Shermans from medium-close range as long as the shell hit the side or rear armour.

The Japanese tanks are infantry support tanks and aren't really meant for any other role. They do a great job against Chinese troops and early war allied forces. After '42 you'll be hard pressed to have grand success with Imperial Armour.
Current Games:

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Very cool Yaab! I always like the mobile heavy artillery pieces that both sides had. My personal favourite was the Churchill AVRE and its 300mm gun[X(]
Current Games:

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I was able to load another Tracker with the last few turns now that Sid has significantly slowed down the pace of updates. Loading Tracker I see that I'm going to be way short of Vehicle for 180 days, but not so much if I look 365 days out. So, I just expanded them again to 325 and will look at things again. I think this mod starts out with stock number of factories, but Japan gets three tank divisions at start and a fourth in mid-42. I'll try to post some Tracker screenshots in a few days.
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Very cool Yaab! I always like the mobile heavy artillery pieces that both sides had. My personal favourite was the Churchill AVRE and its 300mm gun[X(]
If I am seeing the picture right, that one is not breach loading, but muzzle loading. Doesn't that make it a mortar?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Not neccessarily BBfanboy, some mortars are breach loading such as the Brandt 60mm (although that method is used for the direct fire role). I don't really know what makes a weapon a mortar, no rifling in the barrel?
Current Games:

Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

The gun on the Churchill AVRE was considered a spigot mortar by the UK. I used to like taking one of those occasionally in Combat Mission. Good for clearing out infantry nests.

Mike
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

I'd agree with that statement Panther Bait. Ahhhhhh Combat Mission... Played it when I was 10 or 11 against dad, always lost except for the time when we did a 1v1 tank battle with 1 support unit on each side. Nothing like beating your father all because his Panther decided to engage a lone soldier with a bazooka instead of the Sherman M4A3E8 right behind him![:D]
Current Games:

oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Chi-Ha with 120mm short gun

https://ikazuchisen.wordpress.com/snlf- ... to-chi-ha/

Looks like one of the tanks from a game called Warhammer 40K...
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

From an Allied perspective, I find Japanese tank units virtually impotent by mid 43. I don't know how much resources I would put into these units, it is important to have a few (especially in China) but they just die like flies. With no AA support they are vulnerable to air attack in the open and very brittle on the attack. Not saying they are not useful for some things but I question if it is worth the effort to rebuild all of them over and over-which is pretty much what you will be doing. The question becomes what does the Japanese player ramp up with the consideration that resources are not endless, and come 1944 start to become scarce?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

From an Allied perspective, I find Japanese tank units virtually impotent by mid 43. I don't know how much resources I would put into these units, it is important to have a few (especially in China) but they just die like flies. With no AA support they are vulnerable to air attack in the open and very brittle on the attack. Not saying they are not useful for some things but I question if it is worth the effort to rebuild all of them over and over-which is pretty much what you will be doing. The question becomes what does the Japanese player ramp up with the consideration that resources are not endless, and come 1944 start to become scarce?

My Guards Tank Division is holding the line against Bullwinkle in mid-44. Granted, it's in the jungle. This unit is not available unless Scen 2.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tank Divisions don't seem to be quite as potent, but they still seem pretty good. The 4th Tank Division is understrength and doesn't arrive until 1944, though. Perhaps my perspective is skewed due to the experience levels of the units...
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

Let me again advocate for the Japanese Tiger. [:D]
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: crsutton

My Guards Tank Division is holding the line against Bullwinkle in mid-44. Granted, it's in the jungle. This unit is not available unless Scen 2.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Tank Divisions don't seem to be quite as potent, but they still seem pretty good. The 4th Tank Division is understrength and doesn't arrive until 1944, though. Perhaps my perspective is skewed due to the experience levels of the units...

Well, they are in the jungle plus they are Granted. Wait until they get Shermaned...
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Aren't Shermans available beginning in 12/42? I know the unit's TOE has to have them also, but they ARE around in some units prior to June 1944...

Plus, in Burma they're fighting Commonwealth and Indian units with their 75 anti-hard rating. They're performing admirably.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

The gun on the Churchill AVRE was considered a spigot mortar by the UK. I used to like taking one of those occasionally in Combat Mission. Good for clearing out infantry nests.

Mike

Seriously good game it was. spent a decade on it and before switching to this ...this ...WITP:AE singularity...
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

I'd agree with that statement Panther Bait. Ahhhhhh Combat Mission... Played it when I was 10 or 11 against dad, always lost except for the time when we did a 1v1 tank battle with 1 support unit on each side. Nothing like beating your father all because his Panther decided to engage a lone soldier with a bazooka instead of the Sherman M4A3E8 right behind him![:D]

maybe he was giving u break :) besides M4A4e8 wont make any self respecting panther bar a lucky hit ( bounce from turrent on to drivers head angle ) from almost all ranges. 76/52 is not for engaging directly with normal AP Rounds.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”