In Game Tracking (Excel)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

NotOneStepBack

In Game Tracking (Excel)

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Starting a new game as Soviet, what should I track in excel to keep an eye on things? Anyone have decent templates out there?
robinsa

RE: In Game Tracking (Excel)

Post by robinsa »

Not sure. I like personally like to track losses, fuel etc to see how its developing.

Ive requested it before and I'll do it again, please give us some way to export all the relevant data at the to a CSV file or similar. It sucks when you're in the middle of a game and want to look up the development of something you've forgot to track earlier..
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

The game is abstracted, don't "track" anything. Just play it:

Logistics: There must be a really good reason for a unit to be NOT on a rail line.

Your starting air force is crap. send 100 % to reserve, flee your bases east on the cheap, redeploy on turn three plus. many better Sov players than I do not like this, but I assess the Red Air force impact in the field T1-4 is not worth getting your Red banner act together by starring afresh, let alone the logistics and tuck saves. ( Total aside I will try a game wherein I disband 100% of the Red Air Force and see how the logistics improve for delivering operational effect)

Command and Control : save admin points to ensure any of your admittedly few counter attacks in 41 have perfect C2 without penalties

Tactics: Your few good mech/armour + right leaders can make tactical/operational difference, so determine your regroup point after the T1 destruction.

use your CAV for really good isolate moves which may cause a rout, but do not lose them wastefully.

STAVKA: Build Sapper SUs and have them grow and gain Exp. Build SU's based on things otherwise languishing in your pool that you are forced to produce. T34 battalions come to mind.

speedyglides

Post by speedyglides »

As Axis I usually keep an eye on OOB, this is size of army of both sides, paying attention to men, afvs and aircraft. Also to turn losses, manpower and vehicles in units and pool.

I would like to know HI and AP captured, but still don't know where to consult it.
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

ORIGINAL: speedygh

As Axis I usually keep an eye on OOB, this is size of army of both sides, paying attention to men, afvs and aircraft. Also to turn losses, manpower and vehicles in units and pool.

I would like to know HI and AP captured, but still don't know where to consult it.
It would be nice if it was possible to track individual units as well to see how they have been doing over time!

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

The game is abstracted, don't "track" anything. Just play it:

Logistics: There must be a really good reason for a unit to be NOT on a rail line.

Your starting air force is crap. send 100 % to reserve, flee your bases east on the cheap, redeploy on turn three plus. many better Sov players than I do not like this, but I assess the Red Air force impact in the field T1-4 is not worth getting your Red banner act together by starring afresh, let alone the logistics and tuck saves. ( Total aside I will try a game wherein I disband 100% of the Red Air Force and see how the logistics improve for delivering operational effect)

Command and Control : save admin points to ensure any of your admittedly few counter attacks in 41 have perfect C2 without penalties

Tactics: Your few good mech/armour + right leaders can make tactical/operational difference, so determine your regroup point after the T1 destruction.

use your CAV for really good isolate moves which may cause a rout, but do not lose them wastefully.

STAVKA: Build Sapper SUs and have them grow and gain Exp. Build SU's based on things otherwise languishing in your pool that you are forced to produce. T34 battalions come to mind.

Sure its abstracted but tracking things adds to immersion and understanding of the game. I personally think the "just playing" part ie. moving counters is the tedious part of the game! ;)
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Your starting air force is crap. send 100 % to reserve

You should reconsider this. The Russian air force can do many things on turn 1 already. For example supply pocketed units so that they turn from red to orange. Bombing of mobile divisions is also a good idea starting from turn 1. The focus should be on tactical bombers but even SB-2s are now usable and somewhat effective. This is a war of attrition. Every destroyed German tank counts!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”