Battleground Italy 43-45: Out of fuel!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Darojax

Battleground Italy 43-45: Out of fuel!

Post by Darojax »

Greetings all.

I'm currently on Turn 28 of this great scenario, playing as the Axis against a skilled human opponent, however, I have now run into quite the bit of a pickle:

I am completely out of fuel. Several weeks have passed and none of my units are being resupplied. Looking at the fuel pool graph shows stores having indeed gone steadily down from the beginning of the campaign, and have now reached the very rock bottom. Currently, some of my motorized and mechanized units have no fuel at all being completely immobile (1 hex move per turn). I'm keeping air on the ground and everything as static as possible using rail where I can in order to conserve this precious liquid.

It's pretty early in the campaign, and I feel really concerned for the future. Any advise you may have to help me get some of that precious liquid back into my units would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Kesselring : )
Helpless

RE: Battleground Italy 43-45: Out of fuel!

Post by Helpless »

Do you have a save to share?
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

We're playing online using the server, it's

Battleground Italy 43-45
Turn 28
Darojax vs jhdeerslayer

Does that help? I checked my save folder and couldn't find anything, is there a save file I can upload from somewhere? I could take some screenshots when it's my turn again.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I will pick it from the server. Thanks.
Pavel Zagzin
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Do you have a large and growing oil pool instead?
How much fuel do you burn via pilot training?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

I do have a large and growing oil pool, yes. 2,531k and increasing steadily with 150k per week.

I'm not entirely sure how you can see fuel consumption from pilot training? None of my airgroups are set to training.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

likely a side effect of just 7% production available from Germany in this scenarios which affects many fuel refineries.
Event log in 'air execution' section should show fuel usage by pilot training.

EDIT: Looks like all fuel production is tied to the german 7% production multiplier which is completely wrong for italian refineries. As synth fuel facs do still not have a priority resource shipment feature any decline there costs you valuable fuel.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Looks like root cause for the fuel drop (~20-30K per turn) is that all factories (including in the off map areas) are consuming 100% of upkeep fuel, while production stays at 7%. After applying production modifier to the factory upkeep, fuel storage is not dropping anymore. Will make a fix. Thanks.
Pavel Zagzin
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

OK, thanks for sorting that out. I assume one would have to start a new game in order for the fix to work? Or can we wait for the fix and continue our game from there?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

OK, thanks for sorting that out. I assume one would have to start a new game in order for the fix to work? Or can we wait for the fix and continue our game from there?

In code change would fix proportional consumption for the limited production scenarios. It doesn't restore lost fuel.
Pavel Zagzin
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

OK, does that mean we would have to start over after the fix has been applied in order for the Axis to have any fuel at all?

Or would there be a slow gain of the fuel pool meaning we could continue our current game?

Also, this fix would first be applied to a game update, is that how it works? Or are you editing our save game as well?

Cheers.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

That would be pure code fix, i.e. game patch. For the clean game you will have to restart. Although after the fix you should be starting to get small fuel stock gains. I could make a special code to restore lost fuel in your particular save, although it is not so straightforward.

I'll talk to Joel/Matrix so we could give early access for the patch.
Pavel Zagzin
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

Early access sounds great! Would you be able to edit our save to perhaps just return some fuel to the Axis pool? Obviously only if it is not a tonne of work for you.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Would you be able to edit our save to perhaps just return some fuel to the Axis pool?

Yes.
Pavel Zagzin
Darojax

Post by Darojax »

Awesome, Helpless. Contrary to what your name suggests I find you quite helpful. : ) We'll wait for a patch before continuing our game then.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”