WITP-AE on touch-screen?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Gandalf

RE: WITP-AE on touch-screen?

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

My thanks to all who posted suggestions or experiences with the touch-screen idea. It seems it is possible to use a touch screen on specific machines with specific tools to make it work, but I am a pretty old dinosaur and learning a new interface is not in my plans. There will be enough of that getting a Win 10 machine.
I am still leaning toward an Alienware laptop because my Alienware Tower has served me so well for about five years now. They build them pretty solid and I like ruggedness in anything I move around. Also great cooling - I don't want a hot battery on my lap in the car during a long trip! (No, I will not be driving while playing WITP-AE ... but I might be making plans while driving!)

Get a Tesla. [:D]

A bit more seriously, I have a giant cooling fan for my laptop. It's as big as the laptop's footprint and has a 23 inch fan that turns very slowly (quiet) but keeps the bottom of the thing very cool. It plugs into the USB for power. I highly recommend one for anyone who spends much time on a laptop. It protects your body from the heat while keeping the computer cooled down. With electronics, heat kills.

Bill

A few of my games (1st person types mostly) generate so much heat via the GPU, that I go even further with my M-Tech laptop/portable computer... I removed the bottom panel to allow the external cooling fan even better access to everything else instead of limiting it to the internal laptop fan inputs. Only takes a couple minutes to reassemble if necessary. Reduces total overall heat another 5 to 10C
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

My thanks to all who posted suggestions or experiences with the touch-screen idea. It seems it is possible to use a touch screen on specific machines with specific tools to make it work, but I am a pretty old dinosaur and learning a new interface is not in my plans. There will be enough of that getting a Win 10 machine.
I am still leaning toward an Alienware laptop because my Alienware Tower has served me so well for about five years now. They build them pretty solid and I like ruggedness in anything I move around. Also great cooling - I don't want a hot battery on my lap in the car during a long trip! (No, I will not be driving while playing WITP-AE ... but I might be making plans while driving!)

A bit more seriously, I have a giant cooling fan for my laptop. It's as big as the laptop's footprint and has a 23 inch fan that turns very slowly (quiet) but keeps the bottom of the thing very cool. It plugs into the USB for power. I highly recommend one for anyone who spends much time on a laptop. It protects your body from the heat while keeping the computer cooled down. With electronics, heat kills.

Bill
But aren't your kittens drawn to your laptop-warmed lap? [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

This just caught my eye in the Tech Support forum: Can't Play on Surface Pro 4.

You might want to try PM'ing / e-mailing the OP on that thread, TheSosa, to get some direct feedback on how they got it to work & how well it is working for them.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Bill
But aren't your kittens drawn to your laptop-warmed lap? [:D]

Being a breed from Siberia and this is summer, they are much more drawn to the air conditioner vents than anything warm. They want to get into laps, but overheat after about 10 minutes and move somewhere to cool off. When last I saw them they were both in a box getting blasted by the A/C in my office.

I also don't use my laptop that much. I have two desktops with a pair of 24 inch monitors each. The laptop spends months at a time in its bag and only comes out when I'm going to be away from the desktops.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

This just caught my eye in the Tech Support forum: Can't Play on Surface Pro 4.

You might want to try PM'ing / e-mailing the OP on that thread, TheSosa, to get some direct feedback on how they got it to work & how well it is working for them.
I think I am decided that a touch screen is more hassle than I am prepared to take on. Thanks for thinking of my request for info though! [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I've got an Alienware laptop that's about six years old now. Great machine as far as I'm concerned.

tm.asp?m=4127476&mpage=1&#

If you do make the jump here's something I just started using which has made a difference in how my machine runs.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Thanks rustysi! I had seen that post before but did not have it bookmarked. It is now!
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

BBfanboy, have you thought about building your own computer? That way you can make the specs to suit your needs and your wallet's. Brother did it and for about the same cost as my Asus, I'm QUITE amazed what that thing can do. It can't really run Unreal Engine level graphics but then again, neither could mine until I upgraded cards.
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

BBfanboy, have you thought about building your own computer? That way you can make the specs to suit your needs and your wallet's. Brother did it and for about the same cost as my Asus, I'm QUITE amazed what that thing can do. It can't really run Unreal Engine level graphics but then again, neither could mine until I upgraded cards.
I have upgraded some of my computers in the past, but never a scratch build. I don't have the patience, eyesight, hand steadiness nor working space that I once did, so I am quite happy to get a PC from a reputable/reliable maker.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Always built my own machines until I stopped using desktops. Only use laptops these days as those I can take wherever I go. I'm never without AE. Joy!!![:D]

P.S. Well almost never.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Only way to go! I posted quite a bit around the turn of the year on the build I was working on.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”