'No Man's Sky' story on Time Magazine online

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

'No Man's Sky' story on Time Magazine online

Post by wings7 »

Story and observation by 'Matt Peckham' on this ambitious game...
http://time.com/no-mans-sky/

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Jafele

RE: 'No Man's Sky' story on Time Magazine online

Post by Jafele »

Another review (in spanish) of No man´s sky by a gamer.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

That game look interesting, after watching some videos and reading reviews, it more of arcade game or shooter. Too bad it is not like Eve Online though. I always wanted to get into something realistic.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

mixed feedback on what got released and what should have been released regarding the game[X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

I've been playing NMS since it came out. It is visually stunning. I really love just looking at everything. The procedural so called "superformula" algorithm never has a load screen. You could walk all the way around a planet for hours and hours and it's all continuous. So, it is most certainly not an arcade game or a first person shooter. A player has an option to shoot everything, but that is really not the point and would be an enormous waste of time. You gain very little from slaying animals or shooting pirate ships. That's more of the survivalist explorer aspect. You discover a lot of new plants and animals. Some of the these are very beautiful and others are quite odd looking. You don't get to be master of the universe or build a space empire. It's the "boldly go where no one has gone before" part, done amazingly well.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead

I've been playing NMS since it came out. It is visually stunning. I really love just looking at everything. The procedural so called "superformula" algorithm never has a load screen. You could walk all the way around a planet for hours and hours and it's all continuous. So, it is most certainly not an arcade game or a first person shooter. A player has an option to shoot everything, but that is really not the point and would be an enormous waste of time. You gain very little from slaying animals or shooting pirate ships. That's more of the survivalist explorer aspect. You discover a lot of new plants and animals. Some of the these are very beautiful and others are quite odd looking. You don't get to be master of the universe or build a space empire. It's the "boldly go where no one has gone before" part, done amazingly well.
But is there any progression, any RPG elements?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
But is there any progression, any RPG elements?

From the developers: "Your voyage through No Man's Sky is up to you. Will you be a fighter, preying on the weak and taking their riches, or taking out pirates for their bounties? Power is yours if you upgrade your ship for speed and weaponry.
Or a trader? Find rich resources on forgotten worlds and exploit them for the highest prices. Invest in more cargo space and you'll reap huge rewards.
Or perhaps an explorer? Go beyond the known frontier and discover places and things that no one has ever seen before. Upgrade your engines to jump ever farther, and strengthen your suit for survival in toxic environments that would kill the unwary."

I have not played it but that sounds like RPG elements to me.
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

looks good, got the GOG version and altered it to max everything, got a new ship as pre order bonus as well

not really spent much time on it atm, but will do later tonight
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (553.25 KiB) Viewed 124 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

pictures don't really do it justice tbh, and for me it reminds me of games with Voxel space tech of many many years ago, 64bit and fast, moves like snow of a warm shovel

for the size of the game, it's massive in scope, so rather a free ride with options to suit like you do as you like type game, but like iv'e said, not really played it as yet, only still on first base where i crash landed it seems, no read anything so as normal have no or little idea of what i'm doing, so nothing new there then[8|][:D][;)]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (674.58 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

@VonPaulus, it's not like an RPG at all. I'm not grinding up skills, although you do gain better equipment. You can interact with NPC aliens, learning their language and visiting monoliths that tell you their story. However, you can literally do whatever you want. Be a space pirate or a rebel w/o a cause. Perhaps another player could comment on that aspect. I just like the exploring. I landed on one planet near a cave entrance, only to find out that my ship had actually gone into the crater like cave entrance. Flying out of the cave was less than easy, so now my ship has a unique rattle when I fly around, that I rather enjoy. They spent three years really getting the details right. It's sort of a Seinfeld "game about nothing" that is remarkably well done and enjoyable.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

@Poopyhead, I'm curious about your 'Signature' and your source, "Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies."
Thanks!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Found it boring grind to be honest:(
balto

Post by balto »

I have 13 hours on it which was about 10 hours too much. I am going to agree with Wodin 100%.

Same stuff over and over, you cannot RPG at all, not that I want that. You just fly around and walk and do the same stuff over and over. Planets and animals all the same to me. While it is not the stinkbomb that the press says it is.., I highly do not recommend it because they are so many much better games out there.

I never fell for the hype, but I wanted to try something new while I wait for the Holy Grail..., Civilization 6!!!
wodin

Post by wodin »

The original trailers really showed off a different game. If the animals actually had some sort of predator and prey system and maybe some lived alone and other sin herds etc etc..then it would be far more interesting..instead of seeing another funny shaped animal plod along..yawn.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Poopyhead
It's sort of a Seinfeld "game about nothing" that is remarkably well done and enjoyable.
Ahah. You summarize quite well your feelings about the game. [:)]

Thanks all for your reviews.
Five years ago I wouldn't hesitate and I would enjoy the sandbox experience.
But nowadays... I guess I'm too spoiled and need something stronger in terms of story and rpg.
Do you know what are the developer's plans for the future of the game?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

more than a few hours in now, and already the cracks appear, starting to get very repetitive and rather boring, game optimization and performance isn't great on a top end pc, so no idea how this will run on a lower sped one, 2 patches and still the need for more than a few more i'd say, the game is a straight port from the PS4 version, and once you play it for any length of time, you can understand why so many pc owner are moaning about this one, wish now maybe i'd not bought it either, as unless the larger planned patches fix more of what's broken, it won't be on my pc for more than a few months, concept is very good, freedom to do almost what ever you like, but some parts are just too slow, and well empty, went into space and traveled to my first space station which is massive, but also almost empty of anything, so a large empty void, so hardly worth the effort, ships are well basic atm, while it seems everyone else has something 20X larger and costing the earth to get if you could afford it, so a basic trading game, with lots to do but mostly all the same, one of those type of games where after 6 months or more, you have the ability and money after buying, selling and trading stuff to get the better stuff in the game, but is it worth it?

at the moment with how it is, er nope[:(]

wait for the bigger and larger patches to be made, fixed and re bug fixed before trying this one again i'm afraid
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

I don't have a top end PC and it works fine for me. Here's a counterpoint (in more than one long sentence).

The first star system is of course really basic and for some boring, so that you can try some game mechanics out at a low difficulty. Explore some and figure out how to build the warp reactor. Do some jumps and things get more interesting with each new star. Every single planet I've visited had resources to mine, aliens to meet, and buildings to find that gave me benefits. The three NPC aliens have monoliths that tell their history. I've learned over 150 words in alien tongues. This increased my game ranking in language. Several other rankings exist as well for how much you've explored or for the number of jumps you've completed. You have a ship, suit and multi-tool to expand and customize, so that no two are alike. You can wage war on the sentinel robots that scour the planets for wrong doers or be a pilot ace by shooting down pirates. The game has a story about finding the center of this universe that you can pursue, or you can get off the beaten path and just explore. Exporing may seem pointless to some. After all, the top of Mount Everest is just another snow covered rock. Some people just like the view more than others.

@ wings7, I made up my signature. It's a line in a book I've written.

Here's a guide to NMS in 25 words or way more:

http://www.carlsguides.com/nomanssky/
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Too bad this isn't Star Wars, there would be a lot of fans grabbing this.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i don't think starwars or star trek atm would help this, it needs some patches to fix what's broken first, then add more early one to stop it from being a snorefest.

one ship destroyed in space, by mistake or just to see what happens, and then for the next few hours everyone in the whole universe is after you, no matter where you go or how far, same as shooting stuff on the planets, gets a response, but there it only lasts a few bots, but space is different, yes it's big, and vast on a epic scale, but empty, hardly much in it, and imo over hyped, should have stayed on consoles, as PC owners are starting to pull it apart, can post links, as there's so many of them, then again look at the PS4 forums as well, same comments, different format.

the idea and design is well done, but it still needs to come on a long way before it's excepted as a half descent pc game, never mind a good or great one, atm the very small team have gone up by almost 10 fold with Sony seeding / lending some QA staff to over see some bugs and development, there's more missing out of what was or should have been in, which has angered most buyers, as pre video and released video aren't the same, lists and lists have been written and re written on missed stuff that was and should be in the game, but isn't, for sony at least, it's so far the most requested return and refund asked for game, not that they get many, as there policy isn't like Value / steam etc so PC players have been lucky
Here are some things to be aware of:
We’ve brought a new QA team on board today (larger than the entire Hello Games team!). This will complement the existing Sony QA team.
We are working on fixes for the most critical issues, which will be in a patch in the near future.
We will be moving to a ticketed support system next week, and have hired someone to manage this starting Monday.
Some information will be posted in the Sony forums here [right]http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... bd-p/22190[/right]
Or contact Hello Games here

Code: Select all

support@hellogames.co.uk

saying all this isn't to say it's a bad game or not to my taste, it's just a opinion that as yet it's not ready and was released maybe too early and wasn't a great Port from PS4 either, with patches and time, all of this and my comments may change
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

Last week over 200,000 people were playing No Man's Sky on Steam alone, so of course with that many players you are going to get critics. Here's an online list of things not in NMS:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/17/everyt ... -sky-list/

"Some of this disappointment is the fault of the consumer; there’s been a lot of wild talk and anticipation for No Man’s Sky features neither Hello Games nor Sony ever discussed or mentioned, apparently based on speculation."

1. Planetary physics-I'm prety sure this relates to the fact you can chop up the landscape, but things that no longer have a support don't fall to the ground. That's a real deal breaker for me (sarcasm off).

2. Ship classes with meaningful differentiation-I've only ever had my Vy'keen Fighter class and it...really is a good fighter. The Science or Trader class ships can be made to act like fighters too. That's part of the customizing ability. The player can then gut their ship and reconfigure it to be a really good Trader or Science ship. I can remake my Fighter the same way.

3. Faction reputation-It takes a lot of work to get to trusted Ally status, so I can't imagine that someone has done this and not benefited. It's more than likely that players want an instant benefit and can't wait to actually earn something.

4. Homogeneous resource availability-Some of the resources are recognizable on most planets. Plutonium are the red crystals, the blue monoliths are heridium, etc. Iron is iron. I don't see why iron should occasionally be the red crystals, but I'll give them this point.

4. Asteroid landings-I can land on a small moon and explore it. An asteroid is about the size of my ship, so I just slice it up into resources.

5. Space station and fleet destruction-True. You also cannot beat up alien children and take their lunch money. I suppose Hello Games didn't spend their programming time catering to the Stalinists.

6. Large fleets-Last night I was mining asteroids and the number of traders that showed up was in the dozens. I fought a lot of pirates to save them. So, how large do you want it?

7. Traveling freighters-The freighters do travel, a lot. I suppose this means maybe the player can't buy a freighter. You can buy a ship and configure it as a freighter.

8. Large scale battles-I'm pretty sure that the battles are getting larger with every jump, so...

9. In atmosphere battles-This may not exist so that players can escape bad situations. Get into trouble with pirates? Drop into a planet's atmosphere.

10. Roaming NPCs-I don't get this one. You already have lots of places to meet aliens. I don't need to look at a beautiful panorama only to have it spoiled by two NPC's taking a selfie.

11.Ringed planets-Technically, just about every planet has a ring of asteroids around it that you can mine. They don't form a ring that is visible from space or on a planet, that is true. IIRC, Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune have rings, but only one is really visibly pronounced.

12. Sand planets-There are 18 billion billion stars, so maybe there is a copyright infringement of Dune somewhere. Who can say?

13.Flying between stars...without a warp drive-Yeah, right!

14-Complex creature interaction with the environment-Again, I suppose the HG crowd wanted to create fabulous, picturesque planets where you don't have to watch the big creatures eat the small ones. You can feed animals. If you then follow them around, they may lead you to a small amount of rare resource (labled animal poop by the NMS players).

15. Rivers-True, also no waterfalls and I haven't found any frozen lake planets either, although lots of lakes and ponds and oceans. However, there are 18 crapzillion stars, so...

16. Points of interest-Well there most certainly are crashed spaceships, although not freighters. Lots of structures dot a planet, although I haven't found any cities. Maybe the space stations are the NPC cities and they don't allow entry to creatures that make a lot of ridiculous demands.

17. Hacking locked doors-I'm supposing that this refers to something other than the game mechanic of crafting a bypass chip and...hacking locked doors.

18. Radio chatter-You already get useful radio messages from your suit, ship, analyzer, alien terminals and so forth. However, the "Rubber Duck" will not be asking for a big bear report.

19. Interaction with other players-This was never a simple MMO game. Lots of youtube time has been devoted to interviews where Sean from HG explains what NMS is and what it is not.

Finally, No Man's Sky is more like playing a concert piano than a game with some Italian's brother. You don't jump up at some point and exclaim, "Aha! I beat you Chopin." You either enjoy doing something really well that is incredibly awesome, or you don't.

Return to “General Discussion”