BrianG V Sillyflower (open for discussion)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

BrianG

RE: 56

Post by BrianG »

Stalino area is now blocked to getting to the rr.

I have 3 1/2 tank corp cut off and will be lost.

I just try and clear north side of river to set up better D position.

Here I circle up his large behind the line stack.

Attachments
56circleoffun.jpg
56circleoffun.jpg (923.5 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

and they rout

Attachments
56rout.jpg
56rout.jpg (957.86 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Final Krasnador

No way to break thru this turn.

Attachments
56finalkras.jpg
56finalkras.jpg (686.39 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

final Baku

he will again have very long mp this next turn.

Baku D thus getting more time to bulk up.

Attachments
56finalbaku.jpg
56finalbaku.jpg (649.37 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

final Rostov

This may be the last turn I will be able to cut rr.

tank reserves are depleted although I am just now sending down 3 more tank corp. Some need to be built.

Attachments
56finalrostov.jpg
56finalrostov.jpg (766.24 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

final Stalino

he has sent down a corp of german tanks from far north to aid in area.

The file is now in Silly's hand.

Attachments
56finalstalino.jpg
56finalstalino.jpg (790.07 KiB) Viewed 63 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

I think that you made some big mistakes, which may result in losing the entire south Campaign very quickly.
First, instead of sending in 10CV guard rifle corps via shipment to Makhachkala, you chose to send 5CV weak rifle corps and 3CV Tank corps ( they will cost very high shippment), that will cost you very dearly in the crucial battles in Makhachkala, which will be happening very soon. Your defense in Makhachkala looks very weak, they are no going to hold the 60CV+ deliberate attack after heavy bombing of mass Ju87. After the troops in Makhachkala being rout, Baku is doomed. Checking the Axis reinforcement schedule, they will not get new reinforcement, so the railing capacity will be fully booked by his north Pz troops, when you did the rail cutting in the south, his RR corps might extend the rail 4 hex ahead per turn, once he secure the intact Rail for one turn, there will be one question: how many AP he have saved? 500? I will choose to do HQ build up for all Pzs there, it is fully worthwhile.
Second, you didn’t retreat the far west troops, the situation in Baku is going to develop very fast, you have waste several turns to do the retreat and it might not matter any more.
In general, I think you mis-judged the strength of both sides, the Axis made some Strategy Level mistakes in the past turns, but once he correct the situation, he have the key to dislodge your entire South very quickly.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

I think that you made some big mistakes, which may result in losing the entire south Campaign very quickly. First, instead of sending in 10CV guard rifle corps via shipment to Makhachkala, you chose to send 5CV weak rifle corps and 3CV Tank corps ( they will cost very high shippment), that will cost you very dearly in the crucial battles in Makhachkala, which will be happening very soon. Your defense in Makhachkala looks very weak, they are no going to hold the 60CV+ deliberate attack after heavy bombing of mass Ju87. After the troops in Makhachkala being rout, Baku is doomed. Checking the Axis reinforcement schedule, they will not get new reinforcement, so the railing capacity will be fully booked by his north Pz troops, when you did the rail cutting in the south, his RR corps might extend the rail 4 hex ahead per turn, once he secure the intact Rail for one turn, there will be one question: how many AP he have saved? 500? I will choose to do HQ build up for all Pzs there, it is fully worthwhile. Second, you didn’t retreat the far west troops, the situation in Baku is going to develop very fast, you have waste several turns to do the retreat and it might not matter any more. In general, I think you mis-judged the strength of both sides, the Axis made some Strategy Level mistakes in the past turns, but once he correct the situation, he have the key to dislodge your entire South very quickly.

(in reply to BrianG)

I have not shipped in any large units. They were already in the theater.

My last turn I had very little shipping capacity to baku.

As for far west retreat, I have made strategic decision to hold on at all costs.
Also I have no way of moving all those troops back anyhow. Now enough shipping plus as we all know the rr is cut.
Hold and survive. He has now wasted a good summer month unable to utilize a large portion of is tank force.
While Baku holds, I assume I will do a major retreat back from Rostov and Stalino.

Its all touch and go for now. Plus if he wants to slog his way to Baku, he is more than welcome.

Oh, I also have awful Industry and armament levels.

Such is war!

mktours

Post by mktours »

It is your game and your drama. My comments are just for fun and I hope you don’t mind.
I think that I have different judgement with you about the Baku defense: the matter is that how many troops Axis is willing to commit to capturing Baku if it wants to capture it as quickly as possible? He has the Rail, while you have not. The best result you hope is that he just advance like turtle, 2 hexes ahead per turn, and finally being stopped at the gate of Baku. That is possible, but the question is how good your opponent will play and how many troops he is willing to commit. A not so good player will use no enough troops to do the job; a good player will commit as much troops as he could, and very likely will have 3-4 waves of Pz attacks deeply into your rear in one turn. If 15 devisions are not enough, how about 20 divisions? he could add the power if he want, as he has the Rail, while you could not, that is why I think you might need the help from the retreating of your far west troops. 2-3 devisons per turn may sway the balance and earn you more time for more shipping reinforcement.
Your answer sounds like what the commanders of AGA thought in the high crisis in the 1942 winter when 6A being pocketed, they thought they could not retreat and the crisis at Rostov is not their problem…
I have one tech question: could you rail units from Batumi to Baku? I suppose you could since Baku is a permanent source?
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

I have one tech question: could you rail units from Batumi to Baku? I suppose you could since Baku is a permanent source?

yes

and just this past turn I retreated to the east port a guards cav from Krasnodor area

I also have a another guards mountain which will boat east next turn.

I have left 1 unit in Sebastapol. 1 unit v 2 of his. Seems ok to leave for now.

also moves fully not done as I write this. If he commits the whole thing could blow open.

I need 2 or 3 more turns. A good partisan rr cut would help.

BrianG

Post by BrianG »

no good news to report.

I cannot cut rr although I do place another sacrificial tank corp next to line 160 km west of grozny.

Disaster awaits!

If he punches thru this turn I will lose all down south.

I did attack his most east Infantry unit and it was pushed back

Attachments
57finalbaku.jpg
57finalbaku.jpg (722.02 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

RE: 57

Post by BrianG »

Kras is stable.

I shipped one cav corp east and a guards mountain is waiting at port for next turn

Attachments
57finalkras.jpg
57finalkras.jpg (747.51 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

RE: 57

Post by BrianG »

Rostov final

Ugly

I will lose my 3 tank corp all filled with attachments.

I am assuming he will try and cut off small group of troops and then block again.

Attachments
57finalrostov.jpg
57finalrostov.jpg (716.34 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

58 is not great!

btw if my 'print screen' printed in smaller file I would not be widescreen.

Or if I knew how to change print screen settings[:-]

Here is the ugly open.

I have Chuikov hq as back up.

All will fall. most likely. I mean -- maybe my partisans show up and do some useful damage.

I will train as much as possible east. too late and will be too little.

My mountain units are most important. Forget women and children first.

Attachments
58chuikovismyman.jpg
58chuikovismyman.jpg (633.25 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

RE: 58

Post by BrianG »

my only attack to do near Baku.

It seems his tank divisions have suffered absolutely no reduction in this war.

Attachments
58onlyat..possible.jpg
58onlyat..possible.jpg (648.68 KiB) Viewed 68 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

final Baku.

Maybe 2 turns left.

This is a corrected picture.

It seems that after I took earlier end of turn 58 pictures, I failed to execute and thus I had to redo part of turn.

The only change I did down here was make a zoc checker board heading west from Baku to Batimi along the rr line in case I get cut off.

I sense it will all be useless anyhow.

Silly has been made aware.

Attachments
58 corrected south.jpg
58 corrected south.jpg (742.62 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Rostov retreat

This is a corrected picture.

It seems that after I took end of 58 turn photos I failed to execute and file never saved.

The moves here are similar to before. No major changes

Attachments
58 corrected rostov.jpg
58 corrected rostov.jpg (842.72 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

German spearhead.

Really long mp's?

What happened.

Attachments
spearheadmp.jpg
spearheadmp.jpg (724.93 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

RE: 59

Post by BrianG »

Partisan war!

Obviously a well done cut and location.

And, as I find out later, such a good spot that it remained unrepaired into the next turn.

Attachments
timelyrrcut.jpg
timelyrrcut.jpg (610.99 KiB) Viewed 67 times
BrianG

RE: 59

Post by BrianG »

Here was the open for northeast rostov

Attachments
59open.jpg
59open.jpg (797.77 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Return to “After Action Reports”