World War One Mod!

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

HoustonAerosFan

RE: World War One Mod!

Post by HoustonAerosFan »

One thing I might suggest, for v2 in the future, would be to reduce the game scale. I'd suggest no more than 100 m/hex and no less than 50 m/hex and 1-2 minute turns. This is because No Man's Land varied from typically 50-200 m in width.

The scale in both m/hex and time/turn is set in main.pdx.

A number of years ago, someone posted either here or on The Blitz a detailed explaination of how main.pdx worked. I think it was part of something called the "Rising Sun Far East Project" or something like that. Unfortunately, I can't find it on my PC or on the internet.

You would probably need to adjust the weapons tables, too.

Just a thought, otherwise [&o][&o][&o].
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123

Just posted a map of the Verdun, France area for the WWI mod. I created it to scale, 6 hexes per mile, using online references. I'll continue to make enhancements and post any in time. The documents used to create the map, along with real photos from the battle, are included.
If anyone wants to edit further, or create a "Battle of Verdun" scenario for this map, feel free.

Grab it from the link below:
http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/world ... o&id=11625

Jeff
Hi Jeff, thank you very much for the generous contribution!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: HoustonAerosFan

One thing I might suggest, for v2 in the future, would be to reduce the game scale. I'd suggest no more than 100 m/hex and no less than 50 m/hex and 1-2 minute turns. This is because No Man's Land varied from typically 50-200 m in width.

A number of years ago, someone posted either here or on The Blitz a detailed explaination of how main.pdx worked. I think it was part of something called the "Rising Sun Far East Project" or something like that. Unfortunately, I can't find it on my PC or on the internet.

I also wrote a doc on the main.pdt a few years ago, I modded it pretty good for Korean War. I have it on my comp somewhere, but pretty sure I posted it up in the mods section of here and/or the Blitz?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
HoustonAerosFan

Post by HoustonAerosFan »

Warhorse - I did eventually find them on The Blitz.

I'm surprised after all these years someone hasn't modded one of the SP games. I think there was a Civil War (er, uh - War of Northern Aggression) mod done a number of years ago.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

For awhile my brother was in on the Civil War mod, but bailed when ideas collided. I had started on a Korean War mod for SPWAW, but then decided to switch to Campaign Series, as it was much easier to mod.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123

Just posted a map of the Verdun, France area for the WWI mod. I created it to scale, 6 hexes per mile, using online references. I'll continue to make enhancements and post any in time. The documents used to create the map, along with real photos from the battle, are included.
If anyone wants to edit further, or create a "Battle of Verdun" scenario for this map, feel free.

Grab it from the link below:
http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/world ... o&id=11625

Jeff

Hi Jeff
Thanks very much. After I release the scenario I am currently working on for Morhange 20th August 1914 (XX1 Korps dawn attack on the French 39e Division d'Infanterie in Loraine) I had been planning next to do a scenario for Lieutenant-Colonel Emile Driant and the 56e & 59e BCP defense of the Bois des Caures at Verdun on 21st February 1916. Using the relevant section of your map will certainly make things very much easier.

Regards
Ian

ArmyEsq

Post by ArmyEsq »

Thank you, Warhorse!
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

I think a 100 meter per hex scale would have some advantages for smaller battles and it would certainly make it easier to convert scenarios from relevant board games like "Soldiers", "Red Poppies", "Landships/Infernal Machines" and the newer "Infantry Attacks" series games. However I would like to see this offered as an alternative to the current 250 meters per hex scale and not instead of it as this makes it feasible to do scenarios on relatively large scale battles on a manageable map.

Quite a lot of the Corps level scenarios done for the "Great War Spearhead II" table top rules convert in Campaign Series terms to a 24 hexes wide by 16 hexes high map. While a rather larger battle like Neuve Chapelle could be comfortably fitted onto a 30 high by 30 wide one.

I also understand from Warhorse that it should be possible to increase the stacking limit per hex to reflect the rather denser troop deployments sometimes used in this era. The rather crowded battlefield for many WW1 battles that results does come as a bit of a shock but all the reading I have done suggest that much of the time this was the way things were. Also in 3D mode, having a whole company stacked in 1 hex and the other companies of its battalion lined up alongside it does give a real impression of mass.

I have attached a screen-shot from the play testing I am doing for my battle of Morhange scenario to show what I mean here. Note as variable light conditions are not available in the JT CS version that the WW1 mod was built on at Warhorse's suggestion I have used the night / dawn attack option to simulate the early morning mist that kept down German infantry casualties initially but also greatly reduced the effectiveness of their howitzer fire before it cleared.

Enjoy
Ian

Attachments
EarlyWarPTSS.jpg
EarlyWarPTSS.jpg (457.96 KiB) Viewed 787 times
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Then this would no longer be CS?
Scale is scale. If you like shorter hexes you might want to look into Squad Battles?
CS has always been 250 hexes and six minute time frames. It would change everything from shooting to movement to visibility.

I think CS can bend to make enjoyable scenarios without having to change scale.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: ArmyEsq

Thank you, Warhorse!
My pleasure, for sure!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

Do you mind if I republish v1.1 on my website to provide a backup to your original links?
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Not at all, thanks very much!![&o]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Warhorse... glad you like the map, man. I enjoy creating maps and scenarios for war games, and the Campaign Series is an excellent platform for this in my opinion.

Planning on putting together a map for the "Somme" region as well. Would like to use the 6 hexes per mile scale based on what's in the game manual, and anyone is welcome to use just parts of it or edit... Jeff

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Would you consider, if time allows, making a map of the Gorizia area in Italy? Was thinking of a scenario for that with the Italo-Austian/Hungarian battles, but unfortunately don't have much time for map making, much as I totally enjoy it!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Sure, I can do that. Will be fun. With a full time job, wife and two kids, it just might take a while.

Glad to help, and thanks for this great mod. Looking forward to Vietnam and all the others.

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Thanks Jeff, take your time, I got plenty to do with all the graphics I am making for Vietnam!!

Glad you like the Mod, I am biased, but it is one of my favorite games now!!![:D]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Good news. I found a couple good maps online of the Gorizia, Italy area during World War One. Should work well in making the map for your scenarios.

Jeff. [:)]

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Awesome, thanks man, very much!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey, Mike.

Just added a Gorizia, Italy map the The Blitz site:

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/world ... o&id=11723

Hope it helps you, or anyone else, with scenario creation. It's a large map so you might want to use parts of it for different battles. I've included the reference maps in the zip file so you can further edit from here if you want.

Jeff

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

That's excellent, Jeff!! Thanks a million![&o]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”