Engine bonus 4 Researching new aircraft?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

1EyedJacks

Engine bonus 4 Researching new aircraft?

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I've never heard of this 500 engines stockpiled to double research rate. I spent some time combing through the manual and section 13.5 is really-really lite on this subject. I also scrolled through the newbe advice section in The War Room and didn't see anything on this either. Can anyone point me towards where this comes from?

Stockpile 500+ engines needed by the particular air-frame in question you want to research and you'll double your research rate.

Example: Ki-43-IIa uses the Ha-35 engine. If you stockpile 500 engines you'll get a research bonus when your R&D factories are fully repaired. If you have four factories repaired you'd gain 4% in research daily (assuming you have a 30x0 factory), with the engine bonus you'd gain 8%. Just be aware that you'll consume one engine for each research point, so you'll have to have a stockpile of at least 508 if I recall correctly to maintain the bonus rate.
TTFN,

Mike
Chris21wen

RE: Engine bonus 4 Researching new aircraft?

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

I've never heard of this 500 engines stockpiled to double research rate. I spent some time combing through the manual and section 13.5 is really-really lite on this subject. I also scrolled through the newbe advice section in The War Room and didn't see anything on this either. Can anyone point me towards where this comes from?

Stockpile 500+ engines needed by the particular air-frame in question you want to research and you'll double your research rate.

Example: Ki-43-IIa uses the Ha-35 engine. If you stockpile 500 engines you'll get a research bonus when your R&D factories are fully repaired. If you have four factories repaired you'd gain 4% in research daily (assuming you have a 30x0 factory), with the engine bonus you'd gain 8%. Just be aware that you'll consume one engine for each research point, so you'll have to have a stockpile of at least 508 if I recall correctly to maintain the bonus rate.

It is correct. You won't find it in the manual as it was added (I think) after the manual was written but you should find it in the readme for patches.

Although it says it doubles the research it might not be the case. The optimum research size is 30 so 1 x 30(0) gives 2 pts. 2 x 30(0) it will be 4pts. However increasing the factory size to 1 x 60(0) will not necessarily give you two engine bonus point, you might just get 3 pits.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

correct as stated above ... max is 1 pt with a size 30 factory. engine bonus adds one to that. it also consumes one engine.
Pax
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

In my limited experience (2 PBEM games so far - lastest two patches) -- I have tested the x60 fully repaired R&D factory on a few air frames (zeros, betties and oscars) and do not recall ever getting more than just the 1 pt per turn. Both games are Realistic R&D off so I can switch a functioning x60 production plant into the R&D version.

I think the formula works as (#fully repaired) / 30 = 1 R&D point
and if you successfuly get that 1 point, then you may qualify for the engine bonus of +1 R&D point by burning 1 engine in excess of 500 in stockpile.

If anyone has seen the multiple pts per single factory (ie 2 pts per x60 factory excluding the engine bonus) I would be interested in learning what I am doing incorrectly.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

No, formula would be max(#fully repaired/30, 1)*. Devs have stated and testing has confirmed this on a number of occasions.

* in VBA .... [;)]
Pax
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Here is a link to an old post where michaelm explains this:

tm.asp?m=2908046&mpage=1&key=&#

See post #5
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

This is the simple sum up from that thread of the current R&D output:
ORIGINAL: kmitahj
Unless Micheal decides to change original implementation no chance for 2 r&d pts.
You get guaranteed 1 r&d pt from factory of size 30(0)+ (actually 29 will do but 30 is so much easier to remember and preach)
You need at least 270(0) factory to get a chance for 2 r&d pts a day.
You need at least 570(0) factory to get a chance for 3 r&d pts a day.

Meaning, It is really hard to get more than 1 point (2 with engine bonus) from a factory

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”