Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

waynev

Steam

Post by waynev »

I am looking to upgrade to a new pc with Windows 10. I saw the windows 10 compatibility chart and was happy to see that most of my games will work, but was also wondering if any Matrix games require STEAM as I am trying to avoid using it. Thanks for any info.
Wayne
budd

RE: Steam

Post by budd »

Dont think there are any matrix games that are Steam only, as far as i know. I run Win10 and i like it, haven't had games i haven't been able to run yet.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Slitherine Group offers free Steam keys for all of their games that are also available on Steam.

But if you bought the game from them, you won't 'need' Steam, it's merely a choice to use it.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

All Matrix Games come with their own serial number and can be independent of Steam if bought here. Matrix/Slitherine do offer Steam keys for their games if you want to go there eventually. There is no Steam requirement for ownership.

Flip side is that you will have to download and apply patches and upgrades yourself. No big deal as you probably know already.
No problem Chief!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I usually buy here but get the key eventually. Then, it will be easier when moving to a new machine
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah Matrix did it right by not forcing us to use Steam and just made it a convenience. I'll continue to buy thru here though as I don't care all that much for Steam. It's just putting more and more crap indie games up everyday it seems and I have to wade thru them to find the good ones.
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Steam. Having all my games organized in one place. Being able to delete games when I need HD space cleared.

What really annoys me most is the ability to simply click the game in my library to re download and install it again if I want.

Everything nice, neat, and to hand [:@] It's so dambed convenient! [:@]

wodin

Post by wodin »

Personally really like Steam. Even better if you have two options Steam and a non steam version. Butt still Steam only is fine with me. Blimey 99% of games I have played\owned after two or so years never see the light of day again, very very few stay on my hard drive for very long periods of time, I have nothing on my HD that's over 7 years old. SO the fear of Steam taking all the game away doesn't really scare me. Most likely if they ever did face trouble is that they would release a universal patch so you could play them without Steam. I'd say MMO's are actually the games that do become useless sometime s very quickly.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Nah, some people put their whole lives into MMO's. They aren't worthless to them.

Also you said 7 years on your hard drive. You no longer have Steel Panthers? Age of Rifles? Civilization II? I have games 35 years old on my hard drives still. Greats like Battles of Napoleon and War of the Lance and Sword of Aragon and so many more. Games are not something you buy and toss they are your memories they are part of your soul. [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”