Why am I getting this?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

nelmsm1

Why am I getting this?

Post by nelmsm1 »

Been away from the game for awhile after only a brief foray to begin with. Playing the first scenario of the Northern Inferno campaign and I'm getting this;

I know global warming is around but was it enough that Soviet subs could steam across the Greenland Ice Cap? I"m assuming the red boxes are range/bearing indicators from SOSUS but why is this one almost entirely landlocked. Any help for a frustrated noobie would be appreciated.
Attachments
GlobalWarming..jpg
GlobalWarming..jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Excroat3

RE: Why am I getting this?

Post by Excroat3 »

I think the contact might not be SOSUS, but a radar return off the sub's periscope. If you have a sonar contact, usually you get a circle around the contact, as it could be anywhere inside that circle. This looks like either a friendly radar has gotten a return on the periscope or ESM has picked up the submarine's radar/transmitter. Radar contacts such as these are incredibly inaccurate, and I would recommend either waiting for the contact to stabilize, or start searching the coast nearest the contact.

Try pausing the game, clicking on the contact, and clicking on "contact report" I believe that this tells you what has detected the sub.
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. It did finally shorten up and move to actual ocean where my P-3's were more than happy to make its acquaintance.
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Next question if you don't mind. Assigned P-3's from Keflavik to patrol Patrol Area 1 and P-3's from Andoya to patrol Patrol Area 2. Why are they both headed way up north of those patrol areas? I've not had a reported contact from there.

nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

The second set of aircraft that I added to these missions did take off and patrol the right area though.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I been finding some AAW patrols move off away from the intended area. Does not seem the player's commands are obeyed 100% and I am not sure why since the area is explicit.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

Might be a bug, might be a hidden reference point (not sure if those are possible). However your patrol areas 1 and 2 look like they are the same patrol area, I would use "define area" and make 2 separate boxes for patrol areas 1 and 2. If you want the patrol areas to move with your ships, you can do that as well through the same tab that "define area" is in.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

What is the 'investigate contacts outside the patrol area' setting for the missions? Are you using Prosecution Zones?

What game engine version do you use?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

If those were for me:

Yes, No, 1.11 SR3 Build 839.5

I guess they are sensing contacts as soon as they get airborne that I don't see recorded on the map.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Investigate was on but no prosecution zones. What throws me is that there was no reported contact anywhere near there. I have the Steam version so whatever the latest update they have loaded. Not near my computer right now m
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

In my case, I have seen the patrol move off at almost a right angle to the requested patrol area. So I end the mission and vector manually.
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

guys...if truly want some help, post a save. pictures and guessing will get you to where you want to go.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Next time I see that I will post. My current saves will not be examples. Thanks for the advice.
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Its not advice, its common courtesy to the devs.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Sorry., just figured someone would quickly post that i had forgotten to do this or had done thart by mistake. Didnt figure it was any kind of bug.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I think we where getting to the answer quickly without posting saves which could turn out to be more time consuming for everyone. I was not meaning to make a bug report. And was courteous through the discussion.
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

A save probably would gotten an answer in one or two posts. Not posting one only saves you time...and not much at that compared to taking a screen shot and cropping it. But i guess its all about your time. btw, dont think the question got answered.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I/we were thinking the answer was straightforward. Something experienced players could advise on right from the thread since patrols are so common to the sim. I could care less about my time and want to be respectful of the devs so they are not chasing down problems that don't exist by allowing players to help out with the easy stuff. That's all. If the SOP is to attach a save file or screen shot to every incidental question that's OK too. I didn't know that was the case.
Alfred Thayer Mahan
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Try reading the thread I posted.

Return to “Tech Support”