Picking off USN carriers at Guadalcanal

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adaman77

Picking off USN carriers at Guadalcanal

Post by adaman77 »

I've been playing the Guadalcanal scenario a lot as Japan (starting over often as I learn), and I notice that often the Allied AI will park all three carriers (in separate TFs) at 116, 137 (two hexes east of Tulagi) to cover their landings in the first week of the scenario. My response to this has been to park several subs in that hex to try to get shots on the carriers.

However, there are many days when they don't even attempt to fire a shot at a carrier, or anyone even. From the reports it looks like they're being spotted routinely by Allied planes and are thus unable to get in among the CTFs and take a good shot at a carrier.

My question is, how can I maximize the number of shots my subs get off at the carriers? Should I have my subs on patrol routes, where they go several hexes away (3?), linger for a day to lower their detection levels, and then come back? Are there diminishing returns for the number of subs in a hex, or should I really be pouring subs into this hex, like 5 or 6?
jmalter

RE: Picking off USN carriers at Guadalcanal

Post by jmalter »

What do you mean when you 'park' your subs? If you just send them to a particular hex-destination w/ remain on station orders, they won't do much, or even react. At minimum, they should be in a 1-hex patrol zone. Your idea of a multiple-hex PZ is a good one. Keep them moving, they'll have a better chance of detecting a target.

There's no reason why you shouldn't pack the target hex w/ subs, but don't use multi-sub wolf-pack TFs, the game disadvantages them.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

jmalter is correct that you will get no reaction by sitting in a destination hex with remain on station order.

You have to be patrolling to be able to react.

Patrol a single hex if there is limited ASW threat. Expand the patrol to multiple hexes to remove Detection Levels from aircraft.

There is no benefit from flooding a hex with multiple TFs.

As jmalter states the prevailing wisdom is there is nothing to be gained by multi-sub TFs, but I disagree with that stance.

I have experimented with two subs in a TF. Only one of the two will participate in any given encounter, but I have found what anecdotally seems to be an increased chance of a follow up encounter in the same turn by the TF resulting in a another encounter for the sub that didn't participate in the first encounter.

The best teacher in this game is experimentation.
Hans

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: adaman77

I've been playing the Guadalcanal scenario a lot as Japan (starting over often as I learn), and I notice that often the Allied AI will park all three carriers (in separate TFs) at 116, 137 (two hexes east of Tulagi) to cover their landings in the first week of the scenario. My response to this has been to park several subs in that hex to try to get shots on the carriers.

However, there are many days when they don't even attempt to fire a shot at a carrier, or anyone even. From the reports it looks like they're being spotted routinely by Allied planes and are thus unable to get in among the CTFs and take a good shot at a carrier.

My question is, how can I maximize the number of shots my subs get off at the carriers? Should I have my subs on patrol routes, where they go several hexes away (3?), linger for a day to lower their detection levels, and then come back? Are there diminishing returns for the number of subs in a hex, or should I really be pouring subs into this hex, like 5 or 6?

Read my posts in this thread.

tm.asp?m=3972789&mpage=1&key=wolf%2Cpack&#3982570

The principles equally apply to submarine operations in the Guadalcanal scenario.

Alfred
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

The AI is of course quite stupid. Don't be like the AI. And don't expect any human to play like the AI.

I don't know why everyone quotes ARMY generals in what is clearly Naval or Air matters. Especially when there are so many "greats" to follow or learn from in the 2nd WW. Sprunace, Kinkade , Burke, AB Cunnignham, Tanaka , Moosebrugger, and on and on. Especially those who can be aggressive when needed, and not when it's not. ALL AGRESSION , ALL THE TME is not good. There are many conditions when someone like Halsey can get you in a world of hurt.

Carriers , like aircraft them selves are very powerful, yet extremely fragile devices. They're greatest asset is that they are a "airfield with no fixed mailing address". They need to get in, hit their targets with a vengeance , then disappear before the smoke clears. Leaving your CV's in one location is an open invitation for your opponent, human or AI , to murder them.

Instead of Lee, Jackson or Forrest , one might recall the words of the late Muhammad Ali (AKA Cassius Clay) "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee". THEN RUN like hell, as if the whole hive is after you, for it soon will be. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Now subs, are another matter. Move patrol, search and try to lay in ambush. Hans and Alfred are two old "Grandmasters" of this game. Listen to them. CAREFULLY. [&o][&o][&o]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

"float like a butterfly and sting like a bee"

That's only part of the quote, the rest goes something like this...

"the hands can't hit what the eye can't see..."

Which fits in the game, can't hit your CV's if he can't find 'em.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
adaman77

Post by adaman77 »

Thanks so much everyone for the responses!

I've played around with it some more and I've found that, indeed, being on patrols definitely helps to encourage attacks on enemy TFs. I didn't know you could do a 1-hex patrol zone, that's proved quite handy.

I have another question (rather general): what do you do about the general attrition that occurs in daily air operations? Not just in being the attacker, but also the defender. I find it hard to judge who's winning in terms of attrition, or to judge the effectiveness of a sustained bombing operation. When do you decide "It's not worth losing fighters every day trying to turn back these bombers", and when do you decide "I'm losing bombers way too quickly, this isn't worth it"?
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Good questions, but I'm afraid you'll have to determine those for yourself. Everyone's style of play is different and what I do might have others cringing. It depends on so many factors whose to say where you give in or soldier on. Just play around and have fun.[;)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

As rustysi says, it's always a judgement call. One of many considerations is, "Do I have enough replacement airframes & trained pilots in the pools to sustain this level of operations?" And, "If I use those reinforcements here, am I starving my guys in the battle over there, or delaying the start of my planned operations elsewhere?"

N.B., since this question was unrelated to your original post, it might've been better to put it in a new thread.

Also too, welcome to the forum!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”