WitE 2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Icier

RE: WitE 2

Post by Icier »

Thank God...for the heathens, otherwise the world would be a boring place.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Ice

Thank God...for the heathens, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

Yes it would.

Until the Apple Girl shows up with the hammer.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wosung

Post by wosung »

Just one wish for WitE 2:

Please speed up the turn resolution time for the AI.

In WitE 1 Beta v 1.09 1941 Grand campaign vs. German AI summer 1942 it's up to more than 60 min. This makes the game unplayable. Tech forum advise doesn't change this a bit, nor do better PC specs.

Extremly slow turn resolution didn't happen in v 1.00. What good is all the hard work patching for *realistic* or *balanced* combat, OOB, logistics, etc. if you cannot play the game solo vs. the AI?

And WitE 2 will be even more of a monster game?
wosung
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

You might need a faster computer. It takes about 5 minutes for an AI turn on my PC.
Also you probably know already, but turn combat messages off ('0' key)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

AI turn time for me is about 3 to 5 mins, altering settings help on the AI turn, and also weather / views / settings etc etc
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Confusedesh

Post by Confusedesh »

Question about the map.

I presume the files are still .tga files and while I use Jison's map which is a work of art I have no idea how he went about creating it besides doing a humongous amount of work using photoshop.

Anyhow I am curious if the map in WitE2 is the same as WitE1 I noticed that some of the textures are repeated and while this could simple be a user created brush do you use any tool or program to automatically create terrain textures?

…..... or is it just hard work? I suspect hard work.

PS. Perhaps a third party map editor is used?
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: Confusedesh

Question about the map.

I presume the files are still .tga files and while I use Jison's map which is a work of art I have no idea how he went about creating it besides doing a humongous amount of work using photoshop.
No it isn't. With WitW the map was changed to a tiles-based system.
wosung

Post by wosung »

Timmyab, Zakblood, thank you.

You're both talking about 1941 GC in summer 1942?

Until then AI turn time for me is about 10 to 15 min. Which is ok.

Combat messages are off. Played around with game settings, antivir, no other programm open, etc. Reinstalled and newly patched the game. No exotic frontline, besides the fact that Red Army ist better off than RL. (2Core, 2,4 Ghz, 2B Ram).

In 1942 60 min. for maybe 6 German AI attacks per turn. In 1941 German AI makes dozens of attacks in just 10 min. What's the difference?

But besides my individual problems: For WitE 2 please take care of the AI turn res. time.
wosung
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Question about the map.

Anyhow I am curious if the map in WitE2 is the same as WitE1 I noticed that some of the textures are repeated and while this could simple be a user created brush do you use any tool or program to automatically create terrain textures?

The WitE1 and 2 maps are very different. The WitW/E2 map is a mosaic made up of tga art tiles. Each tile corresponds to a ground type and the slight differences between the six ground conditions.

The tiles are made in a standard art program like photoshop. They are placed using the game editor. The only restriction in the release version is the ability to change terrain type but the art is 100% moddable.

You could create a facsimile of Jison's work but it is a lot of effort as there are currently about 1,200 tiles. In the alpha of WitW when the map had many less tile variations I modded a version of Jison's work to learn the system. It is doable.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Confusedesh

Post by Confusedesh »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Question about the map.

The WitE1 and 2 maps are very different. The WitW/E2 map is a mosaic made up of tga art tiles. Each tile corresponds to a ground type and the slight differences between the six ground conditions.

The tiles are made in a standard art program like photoshop. They are placed using the game editor. The only restriction in the release version is the ability to change terrain type but the art is 100% moddable.

You could create a facsimile of Jison's work but it is a lot of effort as there are currently about 1,200 tiles. In the alpha of WitW when the map had many less tile variations I modded a version of Jison's work to learn the system. It is doable.

So its a bit like HOI3.......

A texture file for a terrain type (which can be changed) so for example if you changed one of the mountain textures to the face of Donald Trump you could have Trumps face appearing all over the Caucasus mountains.

So relatively easy to change the appearance of the map in WitE2 compared to WitE1.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I don't have HOI 3 so I can't confirm or deny. Your analogy is correct and the process is simple but broad in scope with so may hexes. Where we add more flavour is by having multiple choices of each terrain type with slight differences between them. If you did it correctly you could have a gradient of colour to show elevation.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Confusedesh

Post by Confusedesh »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I don't have HOI 3 so I can't confirm or deny. Your analogy is correct and the process is simple but broad in scope with so may hexes. Where we add more flavour is by having multiple choices of each terrain type with slight differences between them. If you did it correctly you could have a gradient of colour to show elevation.

Hmm interesting, what do you use to tell the game what texture to use?

Anyhow I look forward to seeing it someday or perhaps I should just buy WitW, mind you I would have loved 1939 to 1940.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Hmm interesting, what do you use to tell the game what texture to use?

Anyhow I look forward to seeing it someday or perhaps I should just buy WitW, mind you I would have loved 1939 to 1940.

There is a map editor embedded within the game editor. That has the functionality to specify what art to use. WitW and E2 have the same map artwork and coding. I'm sure the WitW players would like a modded map and your efforts could be ported across to WitE2 eventually.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
speedyglides

Post by speedyglides »

Will it be possible to read game data such us reinforcements/withdraws, losses, etc. to create any type of tool for easily keeping track of some importante things un a game, like oob, SU's attached, producción, etc.?

I think it could make the admin work (necessary un any war :) somewhat lighter and easier to follow.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I haven't found any need for e tea admin tools I. WitW. I assume this system will.be read across to E2 ?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
speedyglides

Post by speedyglides »

It is not mandatory but a few things need a lot of work browsing through diferentes windows and needing to note down things. For me SUs management is a good example, where you have to check things in the many different HQs and needing track of the exact situation throughout the turns needs a lot of admin work. Even having some "big pictures" is difficult some times. It is a matter of UI so being able to read the game data could allow the community to improve this area.
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Will there be support for dual monitors at all?
RedLancer

RE: WitE exploit going to be removed from 2.0?

Post by RedLancer »

For those who don't want to follow the link in Pelton's post it is to a thread where rmonical 'asked' about on map Soviet Engr Bdes in WitE2 and Pelton 'asked' about Soviet Unit creation. (Apologies if my precis is a little inaccurate but the original posts are there to see).

Currently in WitE2 all Soviet Engrs are Off Map Support Units. I don't think that will change. Trey (el hefe) has conducted a complete review of soviet engineer capability, ensuring that the correct distinctions are made between assault engineers and construction engineers. I think it's safe to say that this is the one area where the differences between WitE and WitE2 TOE(OB)s are the greatest.

In response to Pelton's question on Soviet unit creation we have yet to code that area. The current thinking is that soviets will still be able to create units but the numbers of any particular type will be capped. I appreciate the sentiment on balance and exploitation but for WitE2 we are still very much in alpha and our focus is getting the basic building blocks in place rather than fine tuning balance. However we still seek to ensure that the system doesn't get out of kilter.

For those wondering what has been done here is a little taste of some of the progress.
- A new Factory Navigation screen - it shows where is building what and how many have been built. This links to the new chassis / airframe build system. For the data gurus we have split factory data to its own generic data file.
- Factory evacuation
- In the background we added a time jump system to the Editor. This allows us to advance an existing scenario to a new date with the system implementing TOE Changes, Name Changes (no longer linked to TOEs), arrivals, withdrawals and moves between Theatre Boxes. This saves the scenario designers many hours of effort.
- Added ability to create depots without an active rail link
- Started to add first winter rules
- Air Divisions
- Map regions and roads
- New right click mouse menu (this will save thousands of miles in mouse scrolling) - see screen shot

...and many more changes. WitE2 is perhaps now as close to WitW as WitE is to WitW. It is certainly not WitW in the East anymore.

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (420.07 KiB) Viewed 91 times
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Peltonx

RE: WitE exploit going to be removed from 2.0?

Post by Peltonx »

Nice thanks for quick response.

Seems you guys are strengthening areas that 1.0 was weak in at release.

I am guessing, game when released will be close to "finished" by all the information you have provided.

Keep up the good work

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”