Everyone into the pool!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Everyone into the pool!

Post by Courtenay »

I am planning on starting a new solitaire game in which the whole world will be at war by the sixth impulse of the game. (OK. One minor country must stay neutral because of a bug.) I am doing this for two reasons: one, it looks like fun, and two, having war in odd places will test MWiF in ways that it not usually tested.

All of the Axis powers will declare war on the all of the Allies impulse three of S/O 39, except that Germany is not allowed to declare war on the USSR. Impulse four, the Allies will declare war on most minor countries.The third Axis impulse, the Axis must do something that violates the pact. The third Allied impulse, the USSR declares war on Germany, but will not be allowed to take advantage of surprise effects.

If one looks in the AARs, this has been done at least twice before. The two earlier attempts had very different minor countries going to the two sides. I have not decided which minor countries the Allies are getting, except that the US will get Panama and the CW will get Nepal. I would like to give the US Liberia, but think I will have it go Axis to encourage fighting in Africa. Poland, unlike one of the two previous versions, will resist the German aggression. Since Germany and the US will be at war, Vichy will not be declared. I think this is a feature, not a bug -- everyone will fight to the end.

Are there any other countries that people feel should go to the Allies? Any rules that I should impose?

Which country should be neutral for the whole game? I am leaning towards Yemen, as it has no resources, units, or ports. Is there any other country with less influence on the game?

Suggestions on how I should play this welcomed!
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Centuur

RE: Everyone into the pool!

Post by Centuur »

Since the US is in the game from the first moment and Germany is facing a two front war, I would make all minor countries Axis controlled, with the exception of Panama. There is no need to leave any country neutral (the game behaves correctly if no neutral countries remain).

Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Since the US is in the game from the first moment and Germany is facing a two front war, I would make all minor countries Axis controlled, with the exception of Panama. There is no need to leave any country neutral (the game behaves correctly if no neutral countries remain).

Ah! There used to be a bug; I was unaware that Steve had fixed it. Thank you.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I am a little worries about Russia; it will be attacked on all sides, and doesn't have all that many units to defend with. I also don't know what to do with France. Obviously, pick some corner of France, and defend it vigorously, as you can't defend the whole thing, but which corner? Northeast, northwest, southwest, southeast? I can see arguments for each of those choices.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

If you want to attack Aden, you can land in Yemen for free on a surprise DOW (possible US Entry cost), and then you are in business.

Russia does have a healthy batch of Reserve units. The Axis may not wish to start land attacks inside the Russian Home Country right away, dunno.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

I am a little worries about Russia; it will be attacked on all sides, and doesn't have all that many units to defend with. I also don't know what to do with France. Obviously, pick some corner of France, and defend it vigorously, as you can't defend the whole thing, but which corner? Northeast, northwest, southwest, southeast? I can see arguments for each of those choices.
USSR will do fine. Lots of reserves and lots of militia to build. No surprise to worry about. Winter is coming. Lend lease from USA from turn two. And if any minors invade they get a nice juicy production bonus while France is still around. And if they do not invade then USSR might be able to focus on one of them and try to knock it out.

I would be more worried about Japan that has to fight a land and sea war from the beginning. USSR + China at land and USA at sea. And convoy lines to the NEI should be tenuous even if it aligns with Axis.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “After Action Report”