New v1.21.02 Hotfix for v1.20.04 Public Beta

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

pzgndr

New v1.21.02 Hotfix for v1.20.04 Public Beta

Post by pzgndr »

Attached is a new v1.21.02 hotfix for the v1.20.04 public beta already available. Please maintain an official version of the original game updated to the latest v1.08.07 official comprehensive patch. Install a different beta version of the game updated to v1.08.07 and v1.20.04, and then copy the hotfix EXE into the beta version directory. You can just copy this new hotfix over the previous v1.21.01 if you already have that.
Attachments
v1.21.02.zip
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
pzgndr

RE: New v1.21.02 Hotfix for v1.20.04 Public Beta

Post by pzgndr »

Fix List

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.21.02
=============================================
- 0000173: [Rules Deviation] Creating the Conf of the Rhine is wrong PP calculated- resolved.
- 0000531: [Game Enhancement] Cannot remove a depot with a depot garrison on it - closed.
- 0000636: [Game Bug] Game does not award defender of siege battle +1 PP if the attacker does not win - closed.
- 0000660: [Minor UI Bugs/Enhancements] Change color of the box in the top left corner of a besieging force to black (same as blockading fleet) - resolved.
- 0000736: [Minor Rules Deviation] Artillery casualties not being applied before battle die rolls - resolved.
- 0000740: [Rules Deviation] Winter movement option not working as it should - resolved.
- 0000766: [Game Bug] Combat die roll modifiers can be shown to be +2 - resolved.
- 0000828: [AI Enhancement] AI never fights a second day of combat - resolved.
- 0000830: [AI Enhancement] AI never commits guard - resolved.
- 0000840: [Rules Deviation] Update manual to note that while morale is shown to 100th decimal, it is rounded to the 10th decimal - closed.
- 0000852: [Rules Deviation] Confederation of the Rhine PPs - resolved.
- Added new data files (.ged and .tpj) and setups for a Classic 1805 Campaign based on EiA v3.1 (eianw001) and for an Alternate 1805 Campaign based on EiH v4.0 (eianw002) – resolved?
- Added new directory for backup files for old data files and setups (players should also backup any custom data files and setups from prior versions) – resolved?

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.21.01
- 0000043: [PBEM Enhancement] Show money given from myself to other powers – resolved?
- 0000235: [UI Bug] City of Straslund in S.Pomerania should be named Stralsund – resolved in map.
- 0000246: [UI Bug] Pomerania (Pommerania) spelled wrongly – resolved in new data files.
- 0000272: [Game Bug] In multi-player (no AI) PBEM Log describes "Country X to Country Y Relations better, Nuisance Rating Cleared" – resolved.
- 0000720: [Game Bug] Feudal units created from non-Turkish countries using the editor have morale of 0 – resolved in new data files.
- 0000722: [Rules Deviation] Syrian Cavalry at start up should be 6 factors instead of 5 – resolved in new data files.
- 0000723: [Rules Deviation] Syrian Cavalry at start up should be 6 factors instead of 5 – resolved in new data files.
- 0000767: [Game Bug] Depot and city garrison have incorrect leadership rating displayed – resolved in new data files.
- 0000781: [AI Bug] French corps at Paris chose withdraw (which should not have happened) – resolved.
- 0000810: [PBEM Bug] In-game editor does not allow removal of leaders - resolved.
- 0000814: [Rules Deviation] Unable to increase Austrian depots in game editor – resolved in new data files.
- 0000818: [AI Enhancement] AI Bonuses - resolved.
- 0000820: [AI Enhancement] AI DOWs on Minor Countries – resolved.
- 0000821: [AI Enhancement] AI Builds and Money for Supply – resolved.
- 0000824: [AI Enhancement] AI Ship Building – resolved.
- 0000837: [Rules Deviation] 1.8.07 rules on Guerillas deviate from how they play in the game – closed.
- 0000846: [Game Bug] Lend money to Major Power - resolved.

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.21.00 (03/01/14)
- Added ice display. When sea areas are iced over during winter, we are now filling the area in with a light gray shading. – resolved.
- Added land stack movement. This can be done by simply holding down the CTRL key AFTER selecting a unit in the stack then clicking the destination area while still holding the CTRL key. – resolved.
- Added home nation shading on large map. This shading is a cross hatch pattern which gives a little more darkness to it. – resolved.
- Fixed Victory screen alignment issues with larger screens. - resolved.
- Fixed memory issue that could cause stack movement to not work in certain situations. - resolved.
- Fixed issue that was locking cursor into move mode with a unit counter outline. - resolved.
- Fixed issue with AI surrender calculations. It was improperly evaluating forces on map versus enemy forces when trying to decide to sue for peace. Bottom line is that the AI will probably surrender a little earlier to save their forces. – resolved.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

So far, so good. I am slowly making some progress. I still have no feedback on pbem; if something comes up then I'll deal with it. The AI shipbuilding appears to work for major powers now, ships are being built and factors added to fleets; however, I am still wrestling with AI minor country builds and will continue to work on this for official release.

I have completed setups for the classic EIA campaign and used those for my testing so far. I still need to work on the alternate EIH campaign setups and documentation. By end of July I hope to wrap up all that and get a package to Matrix Games for a new public beta install. If all goes well, we'll get out an official public release by end of September and move on to a new v1.22 update with more improvements.
Bill Macon
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Any update pzgndr on your progress? We very much appreciate you picking this work back up in Marshall Ellis's departure. I always felt that this had potential to be a great port that was overwhelmingly disappointing upon intial release. Thank you for restoring some hope!
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Well, I was on the road this week with my laptop hoping to playtest some, but the combat screen was cut off at the bottom again. It works on my PC with widescreen but apparently not so well on a laptop with smaller screen. Obsidiandragon saw this too. I plan to experiment some more this weekend with compiler settings and maybe the default screen settings to see it I can resolve this for both PC and laptop. I would like this to work for everyone, obviously.

I think I have resolved the minor country builds issue, as I've seen Holland and Sweden finally building ships again, and I have seen ship factors being added to fleets so that's all good. I have completed the EiH alternate campaign setups and documentation updates. I'm getting close to being done.

To Do. Resolve the combat screen issue so it plays OK on both PC and laptop. Resolve one more AI issue for DOWs on minors out of range. Work some more on the EiH alternate data file for minor country light fleets; I cannot seem to get these to work with the game editor so I need to fiddle with this some more. I may be able to reconfigure some of the MP fleets that are out-of-game to be minor fleets; else there might just be some minors without all of the light fleets EiH 4.0 says they should have. Again, I'm getting close to being done with all this so I can wrap up a package for Matrix Games in the next couple of weeks. Keeping fingers crossed!
Bill Macon
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Well your effort and work are genuinely appreciated. So much so, that after having abandoning the game many years ago, your recent post and progress made me re-commit and purchase a new copy (as I gave the original away). Thank you.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper
Well your effort and work are genuinely appreciated. So much so, that after having abandoning the game many years ago, your recent post and progress made me re-commit and purchase a new copy (as I gave the original away). Thank you.

And thank you for the encouraging words. I suspect there are a great many former players who have abandoned the game, but it really was soooo close to being good. After few modest enhancements here and there so far, this is looking good again. I think once we can get a public beta out and certainly once we get a new official update out, with news announcements, then hopefully we'll see more former players get re-energized. And maybe some new ones too.

FYI. I updated the default game resolution from 1024x768 to 1366x768 for widescreen, which was a more common resolution as of a few years ago so most all players should not have an issue with this change. I also managed to shift the combat screen higher, so now it also fits nicely on a smaller laptop screen. And... in a quick playtest I verified the AI selected fight another day in a battle, so that's another small victory. We're getting there. I want to get an independent check on this updated build and do a little more playtesting myself, and then probably tomorrow post a new v1.21.02 hotfix.
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

As promised, here is a hotfix for the hotfix, same version 1.21.02 for now. As discussed, the default resolution is now 1366x768 and the combat screen is shifted higher to fit better on smaller screens. Shipbuilding and minor country builds appear to be working ok.

Again, I'd very much appreciate some feedback from players who try this on the v1.20.04 public beta. There are still a great many unresolved issues from before, but at least for the ones I think I have resolved it would be nice to hear from players confirm that they work and we're on the right track as we move towards a new public beta release. Thank you.
Attachments
EiANW.zip
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Bill Macon
Daniel Amieiro

Post by Daniel Amieiro »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA!

Great efford Pzgndr!

I do not know if you want to change file data format (.ged) and (.tpj) files and/or if you will work in a powerful editor that would let us to config the game (leaders (naval ones too), neutral leaders, units, and kingdoms!.. and things like dominance :D), that would be the Big Step. Same for unit/leader obsolescence. That is what i would miss more. Actual game format (.ged) and (.tpj) doesn't support unit obsolescence... well you know my posts... but i were doing reverse engineering and it took me too many time...

I'm in a similar situation as the creator (a little time), but i would help in my possibilities :).

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: damieiro
I do not know if you want to change file data format (.ged) and (.tpj) files and/or if you will work in a powerful editor that would let us to config the game (leaders (naval ones too), neutral leaders, units, and kingdoms!.. and things like dominance :D), that would be the Big Step.

Yes, I would like to make some changes with all this. And yes, that would be a big step! I tried editing the Editor code to fix a couple of things but it didn't work. Those data files are complex. I want to get this update wrapped up. The next update will be more bug fixes and performance enhancements. After that, I may look at other code restructuring possibilities, but the challenge will be to ensure that game saves and pbem files still work. For now, I've been using the hex editor to manually update the data files for the new classic EIA and alternate EIH campaigns.

v1.21.02 update. Obsidiandragon has been helping with playtesting. I've gotten shipbuilding to work ok, but now the issue is buying/placing new corps/fleet counters. Adding factors to current units seems ok. However, in a simple test where I started Russia with a single garrison in Moscow, I confirmed that the AI failed to add a single corps/fleet to the game in a year of play. So, I'd like to resolve this so that the computer opponent is properly building land and sea factors, buying and placing new unit counters, and adding factors to units, for both MPs and minors. This has been a major weakness for a long time, so it would be a significant improvement if the AI would actually do these things! Again, performance enhancements will be an objective for the next update, but hopefully the AI in this update may perform better without one hand tied behind its back. That's the goal.
Bill Macon
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Keep up the good, hard work. I know it is very much appreciated. I am getting totally reacquainted with EIA and so far, the changes all appear good. I haven't gotten into the meat of a game, but this is very encouraging. Thank you Bill.
Daniel Amieiro

Post by Daniel Amieiro »

I have tried it on my acer (1366x768 screen). It has the annoying bug of 1.20.04. You cannot play a battle because the bottom buttons are off-screen, so it's unplayable.

When i go to home on higher screen (1920x1080) i would test it
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: damieiro
I have tried it on my acer (1366x768 screen). It has the annoying bug of 1.20.04. You cannot play a battle because the bottom buttons are off-screen, so it's unplayable.
When i go to home on higher screen (1920x1080) i would test it

Please try the second hotfix I posted above on July 17? That should resolve the combat display issue on most all 1366x768 screens. Obsidiandragon and I verified it works now on our laptops, where it did not before.
Bill Macon
Daniel Amieiro

Post by Daniel Amieiro »

My fault. I've tried first hotfix. Second hotfix works ok about screen and i can see the buttons :)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Quick update. I am still wrestling with the AI reinforcements to get new corps/fleet units added. I'm hopeful that I can resolve this, sooner or later, and then get a public beta package ready.

On the bright side, Matrix is having another sale this weekend and EIA is on the list for 30% off.

Bill Macon
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Keep up the hard and great work Bill! Having a great time getting back into EIA (I actually set up my boardgame in tandem with re-purchasing EIA for the PC) and your efforts on this are truly appreciated.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Another quick update. I continue to poke at the code, sometimes getting ahead and sometimes getting behind. Today's news is that I finally resolved how to get the AI to add new units. See screenshot. AI Great Britain has added two new infantry corps to London.

I still have some work to do before this is ready for a public beta package. I was optimistic that I would have something by end of July, but now I'm shooting for end of August or early September. We will get there sooner or later!!

Attachments
EIAUnitBuilds.jpg
EIAUnitBuilds.jpg (234.87 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Bill Macon

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”