Age Of Rifles??

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ravinhood

RE: Age Of Rifles??

Post by ravinhood »

Only for 75 years then they can wipe their butts with the paper their copyright is printed on. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Wow, AOR brings back memories! That game ruled! [&o]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

I think Matrix should negotiate with Jeff Lapkoff of JeffLapkoffgames for an Age of Rifles type game but with a different name to get around the rights. His Custer game totally reminds me of AOR.

Attachments
clc2_1.jpg
clc2_1.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 498 times
MistaCreepy

Post by MistaCreepy »

Like I said in the TOAW 3 forum, this was the first... and after all these years, the best war game Ive ever played (Sorry HOI2)...

Theres a huge demand for this game Matrix! Cant you guys smell money?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

The store shelves are just packed with crap like "Johnny goes to the Zoo" and weekly copies of "Toy Soldier" and "Gangsta Masta", etc..At least Matrixgames has the genre, they just don't have the ears....

terbare

Post by terbare »

Age of Rifles brings back fond memorys of one of the finest games covering that particular era, the age of the rifle. A game I could never resist taking the losing historical side, refighting it over and over and finally figuring after losing several times the best strategy to that particular situation be Isawandlha or the Little Big Horn battles. A game system you could use to learn something of the history of the that interesting period of time without devoting hours and hours of time painting lead figures. What else can I say its a game the covers an era of military history that is my view a sorely neglected area.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

Age of Rifles is a classic I still play. It may have been released back in 1996 but people are still designing scenarios and mods for it today.

P.S. You can find some of my recent AoR scenarios here.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
anvl

Post by anvl »

redcoat,, thanks for the AOR scenario lead...

check out my post in the other AOR thread,, there is a new Nappy mod avalable as well.. just within the last few weeks or so...

check it out here.. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/age ... s/messages

to get sound,, you need the original disk,, I am not sure if a disk image works.. but you can find the image kicking around the net,,, then use a mount cdrom command in dosbox,and mount\install the disk,and you can get sound.

anvil
Deus subrisum stultusi et ferrari
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

There is now a new version of Age of Rifles available on the Yahoo Group which has DosBox integrated into it and which runs sound and all with no problems on Windows 10. Here is a Dropbox link to download it. You will need something like WINRAR to unpack it though. Once this is done just click on the "START THE GAME" icon to launch, and make a shortcut from this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/543 ... 996%29.rar

Not been able to play it since 2004 when I upgraded to XP and only got it back a couple of days ago :-)
Enjoy
Ian
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Will check this out... Thanks!
Rod T DeMore
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks for the link. I LOVED AoR but have not been able to play it for years.
A Sharif
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Awesome game, for sure needs updated.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

Thank you for that. Life is good !!!!
Cheers, Jim
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: Ian in Brentford

There is now a new version of Age of Rifles available on the Yahoo Group which has DosBox integrated into it and which runs sound and all with no problems on Windows 10. Here is a Dropbox link to download it. You will need something like WINRAR to unpack it though. Once this is done just click on the "START THE GAME" icon to launch, and make a shortcut from this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/543 ... 996%29.rar

Great download. Just unpack and play. It even has my old scenarios - which I lost in a computer crash years ago.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

bump
roth

Post by roth »

The link has expired.

Is anyone able to provide another link? I would love to have a try at this again.

Many thanks.
MR
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

This new download version - with even more scenarios - was created recently:

https://mega.nz/#!MugSxCTR!DTOFCBcfCQ28ROLuMwsPvsmca1v34-J655l2RLoJ5Fs

George Orwell, 1984
HudsonGame

Post by HudsonGame »

I helped playtest Age of Rifles. I think that was one of Norm's best games (with the possible exception of Operational Art of War). I too hope someone will publish something along the lines of AOR. Loved playing it.
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

A decent tactical-turn based game set in the XVIII and XIX century... still a dream [:(]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: HudsonGame

I helped playtest Age of Rifles. I think that was one of Norm's best games (with the possible exception of Operational Art of War). I too hope someone will publish something along the lines of AOR. Loved playing it.
I checked out a game play video on YouTube. I do recall seeing screenshots of some game that has similarities to Age of Rifles: hexes, formations, rifles... Game in question could be about American Civil War. Didn't memorize the name.

[edit]
Found 2 close match:
Brother Against Brother
Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Could those be what you're looking for?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”