Has anyone given any thought to other eras using this game system?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

RogerJNeilson

Has anyone given any thought to other eras using this game system?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I have to say its the only game that really holds my interest apart from WITP AE.

I feel it could work brilliantly with other periods - WW2 and also ACW because it models the difficulties of Command and control, also the LOS issues.

Still very new to it all but wondering what would be the issues around modding to create units applicable to these periods and using the scale and interactions? Or is it a case that the basic engine would need to be reprogrammed? If the later than I think it would be really worthwhile looking at it as a potential. There are no other games that reflect action in this way. I feel it could be applicable to any period where the size of the forces gets beyond the 'visible' and relies upon the command and control cycle which works so well here.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Mad Russian

RE: Has anyone given any thought to other eras using this game system?

Post by Mad Russian »

We have discussed from time to time, as the old ones roll off the front page, the evolution of the engine.

We are currently of a mind set that we develop 2 engines:

- one for modern warfare with the ability to hit and kill things at long range

- one for earlier warfare with the ability to hit and kill things at short range.

Long range warfare is pretty much anything after 1960. As technology improves beyond WW2 levels.

Short range warfare is pretty much anything before 1960 as well as all infantry based conflicts. Vietnam for instance would fit into this category.

We have a laundry list of conflicts, theaters, time periods, etc....to get adapted to the system.

As to modding, extra scenarios/campaigns, etc...all that can be/has been/ is being done. There are multiple examples of all that here on the forum in this very section.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

That is good to hear, hope to be able to play them when they get done. I think the real elegance of the command and control system is the winning aspect of this approach. The trick would be pre radio days factoring in the speed of couriers to take messages and offering the options of the posture a unit or group of units should adopt until new orders arrive. Some of the key battles of the War between the States were won - it could be asserted - because the Southern Generals got inside the C3 loop of the Northern Generals.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

A WWII turn based simultaneous execution game at a level above Combat Mission (ie above squad = platoon/company) would be well received. I can not think of a computer war game at the operational level using WEGO and the command cycle concept of Flashpoint. Given the popularity of theaters like the east front and Normandy, players would stand in line for a sim like this. I bet the developers have an WWII alpha they are enjoying right now since they have laid the ground work so well already [:D]
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”