Reliable players

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

STEF78

Reliable players

Post by STEF78 »

Following MT's idea, my list of reliable players

Schascha played up to 1945
Oshawott played up to 1945
Loki100 gave up after asking me
frogmarc played to the bitter end
bozo beat me twice
pitaman played to the bitter end
frogmarc played to the bitter end
821bobo AAR running
dontra85 played to the bitter end
vorsteher played to the bitter end
Mbuttworth played to the bitter end
beekeeper beat me 09/1942

I played GC against these players. There are of course lot's of other reliable players.

Apologies if I forgot someone...

A lot german players give up after 17 turns... a lot of russian players between turn 4 and 12
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
chaos45

RE: Reliable players

Post by chaos45 »

If a German player has a bad summer campaign they mise well give up, so wouldn't hold that against them.

As for Soviets think giving up should only be in the books if you lost leningrad, Moscow, and stalino area all in 1941. As the odds of you recovering are pretty slim.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Giving up isn't an issue... fun is the key and pushing the counters without hope is boring

It's the fact of giving up without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent that is annoying.
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Icier

Post by Icier »

That is true..although I only play German..I have found a few Russian players disappear...I
usually put no move in 2 weeks no game.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

Right. Players should do the right thing and resign. I have about 8 games on the multiplayer server with players having not sent in a turn in months.
Know the enemy and yourself...
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

This post is a spurious and back-handed attempt to vilify unknown people and should be closed. It serves no purpose for the community of players.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: STEF78

. . .

It's the fact of . . . having a discussion with the opponent that is annoying.

Why do you think so? To me, having a discussion with my opponent whether or not we should give up playing seems polite. [:)]
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

This post is a spurious and back-handed attempt to vilify unknown people and should be closed. It serves no purpose for the community of players.
???? I only do positive comments on some players

I criticize nobody
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

. . .

Why do you think so? To me, having a discussion with my opponent whether or not we should give up playing seems polite. [:)]

I'm not native English, maybe my thought is unclear. The whole sentence is:
It's the fact of giving up without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent that is annoying

Maybe I should have written

It's the fact of giving up, without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent, that is annoying

I have no problem if my opponent resign and usually send emails to my opponents. It's a fun part of the game.

It happens that players disappear without a single message. That's what I dislike.
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

. . .

I'm not native English, maybe my thought is unclear. The whole sentence is:
It's the fact of giving up without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent that is annoying

Maybe I should have written

It's the fact of giving up, without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent, that is annoying

I have no problem if my opponent resign and usually send emails to my opponents. It's a fun part of the game.

It happens that players disappear without a single message. That's what I dislike.

Actually, this is interesting. I understood it in the following way:

It's the fact of [giving up without resigning],[or having a discussion with the opponent,] that is annoying.

with the first part of this sentence (i.e. It's the fact of giving up without resigning) meaning to me that somebody actually decides in their thoughts, as if, that they don't want to play anymore, but continues to play nevertheless, but without putting his or her heart and soul into it, as if needlesly prolonging the match... [:D]
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi Stef,

I understood your meaning, and even your intentions, and I'm not even French. Oh, the shame!!
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Your Lucky not to be french [;)]

Below an old saying I tried to translate:

"France is the most beautiful country of the world but, to balance it, god put in it the French people"
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

I usually go the distance, but most of the time the game is decided beforehand. As others said, it's more about communication than ending the game early.
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Giving up isn't an issue... fun is the key and pushing the counters without hope is boring

It's the fact of giving up without resigning or having a discussion with the opponent that is annoying.
+1
RKhan
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Your Lucky not to be french [;)]

Below an old saying I tried to translate:

"France is the most beautiful country of the world but, to balance it, god put in it the French people"

So perfection is the English living and ruling in France? [:D]

NB apologies to those who don't like pics to be bigger than they have to be, but I don't know how to solve this problem

Attachments
England rules.jpg
England rules.jpg (237.11 KiB) Viewed 72 times
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Aditia

Post by Aditia »

Silly flower, just go to start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> Snipping Tool

[;)]
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Or press Windows Key an r at the same time and type "snippingtool" in the console, this is even faster if you like working with shortcuts.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Aditia

Silly flower, just go to start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> Snipping Tool

[;)]
and......................?

Seems all too complex for me
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”