OT: New book from Osprey on PacWar Mark Stille

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

OT: New book from Osprey on PacWar Mark Stille

Post by fulcrum28 »

New release from Osprey Publishing: "US Navy Ships vs Kamikazes 1944-45 (Duel)" by Mark Stille
http://amzn.to/2aVXqYv
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Rising-Sun

RE: OT: New book from Osprey on PacWar Mark Stille

Post by Rising-Sun »

Are these Osprey Publishing books any good? I think I had a few back in early 2000s, couldn't find them, probably gave them away when I moved. Noticed they are small booklets.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The Osprey books are usually small, about 50-60 pages, but the information in them is very good for the most part. Because they are short, the scope of a particular book may be smaller than what you want, but the material presented is usually very good.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The Osprey books are usually small, about 50-60 pages, but the information in them is very good for the most part. Because they are short, the scope of a particular book may be smaller than what you want, but the material presented is usually very good.

Bill

Cool, I just pull a small booklet from the shelf up there along with my other books. Didn't know I had it and it was Osprey booklet as well. This one is Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft Carriers 1921-45. Yes I would have to say, it is pretty good layout and details, depending on the authors.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Osprey books are usually good...my own experience with ones dealing with ancient Rome etc. has been good. It of course depends on writer, so if you plan to buy one, check the reviews of what else the writer has done. I'd say that 90% have been good, but by nature Osprey books are bit like "scratching the surface".
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Cool, I just pull a small booklet from the shelf up there along with my other books. Didn't know I had it and it was Osprey booklet as well. This one is Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft Carriers 1921-45. Yes I would have to say, it is pretty good layout and details, depending on the authors.

Here is his goodreads page : https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5 ... ark_Stille

There's this book ''The Imperial Japanese Navy in the Pacific War (General Military)'' which is essentially all of the Mark S. books in one volume, almost word for word. I havent seen the the Duel book but I'ld assume it's a subset of the larger volume.

The details are good but there's little analysis in the books and dont expect to come up with new detail ( at least that was in my case ).
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Cool, thanks for the input guys. Look interesting.
Balou

Post by Balou »

Ospreys can be good because they take into account recent publications. Eg Midway: Parhalls/Tullys "Shattered Sword" has probably rewritten misconceptions about Midway and it found its way right into Ospreys booklet.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

I read first book about the battle of Midway when I was 14 - 'Miracle at Midway' and then some more for 20 more years. It all came down to 'USN cracks the code, Japanese make one meaningless mistake after another, TBDs draw the Zeroes to waterline and SBD's finish the job'. Frankly, I always thought how can such instances come after each other and Midway is indeed a miracle.

Shattered Sword changed all that, it was such a good book. That battle was a close run thing and it was possible for the IJN to come on top.

But to this day I still think USS Nautilus' part in victory is understated - if not a bit chancey - what if her skipper had not attacked IJN and get chased by Arashi which in turn got tracked by VB6... Ifs and more ifs...

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

I read first book about the battle of Midway when I was 14 - 'Miracle at Midway' and then some more for 20 more years. It all came down to 'USN cracks the code, Japanese make one meaningless mistake after another, TBDs draw the Zeroes to waterline and SBD's finish the job'. Frankly, I always thought how can such instances come after each other and Midway is indeed a miracle.

Shattered Sword changed all that, it was such a good book. That battle was a close run thing and it was possible for the IJN to come on top.

But to this day I still think USS Nautilus' part in victory is understated - if not a bit chancey - what if her skipper had not attacked IJN and get chased by Arashi which in turn got tracked by VB6... Ifs and more ifs...

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”