OT - Good old games site

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bullwinkle58

RE: OT - Good old games site

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

This a screenie of some of the SH3 Commander front-end options.

Attachments
SHComm.jpg
SHComm.jpg (244.94 KiB) Viewed 565 times
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Completely agree with Kate as the best looking of the trio. Also the best actress.
No idea on the beauty in the previous post - the forum changes the file name to gibberish.

Times up! She is Peggy Lipton and when she re-appeared in "Twin Peaks" she totally blew me away. By the way, I really, really like freckles.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Bullwinkle,

I know this will sound pathetic, but I have no idea what a SarForce DRM is... You say the bottom line is "if you do some work", well trust me when I've spent HOURS with the original game (Ubisoft) and their techs and still nothing. I don't have the "Steam" version, as I didn't know there would be any difference. So what I'm hearing is if I want to run this game, I would need to download the Steam version??? It seems strange to talk of another game on this game's forum, but such is life!

StarForce DRM was a WAY overpowered attempt to reduce piracy of Ubisoft games. It attempted to do this by deliberately altering the user's Op System in particular the CD/DVD drive routines. In some cases this even physically damaged the CD/DVD drives themselves. I knew that there was a patch to remove the StarForce DRM, BUT (it was my perception)... you had to install the original game FIRST before patching of course, and I was not willing to risk any altering of the Op system OR even physical damage of the drives themselves even in the short interval between installation and patching.

Matrix uses a serial number system which I'm sure you are familiar with. Works reasonably well, but piracy can and does exist with Matrix titles.

STEAM does something to the original executable such that the game cannot be run except on the original purchaser's machine which had to be download/purchased thru STEAM. This does makes modding a little more of a hassle but does not prevent it. A lot of people still think that you have to be continuously logged on to STEAM to run their games. NOT SO. (at least not now). I always run the STEAM games I have with STEAM in the Offline mode, In fact I have gone weeks if not months without logging onto STEAM and not had any issues playing their games offline. I do this intentionally because STEAM has the annoying habit of updating games automatically even if you set it not to. This can mess up a modded installation something awful.

I'd rather purchase games using the serial number system overall, but in a lot of cases, Silent Hunter being one example, STEAM is the next best thing.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Did I say I really like freckles? Like really, really? Anyone who has freckles should consider themselves lucky. I'm speaking to you, Olivia Munn. Did I say anything about how much I love dimples? Oh, don't get me started. I'm speaking to anyone who has dimples. Well, women mostly. Just know that, if you smile at me and I see dimples, you pretty much own me.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Did I say I really like freckles? Like really, really? Anyone who has freckles should consider themselves lucky. I'm speaking to you, Olivia Munn. Did I say anything about how much I love dimples? Oh, don't get me started. I'm speaking to anyone who has dimples. Well, women mostly. Just know that, if you smile at me and I see dimples, you pretty much own me.

Could I make a polite request? I know you like to do funny posts, but you constantly clog up threads where people are trying to discuss something else. I don't mind OT, but a new thread about Peggy Lipton would be kinder. Thanks.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

Bullwinkle,

I know this will sound pathetic, but I have no idea what a SarForce DRM is... You say the bottom line is "if you do some work", well trust me when I've spent HOURS with the original game (Ubisoft) and their techs and still nothing. I don't have the "Steam" version, as I didn't know there would be any difference. So what I'm hearing is if I want to run this game, I would need to download the Steam version??? It seems strange to talk of another game on this game's forum, but such is life!

StarForce DRM was a WAY overpowered attempt to reduce piracy of Ubisoft games. It attempted to do this by deliberately altering the user's Op System in particular the CD/DVD drive routines. In some cases this even physically damaged the CD/DVD drives themselves. I knew that there was a patch to remove the StarForce DRM, BUT (it was my perception)... you had to install the original game FIRST before patching of course, and I was not willing to risk any altering of the Op system OR even physical damage of the drives themselves even in the short interval between installation and patching.

Matrix uses a serial number system which I'm sure you are familiar with. Works reasonably well, but piracy can and does exist with Matrix titles.

STEAM does something to the original executable such that the game cannot be run except on the original purchaser's machine which had to be download/purchased thru STEAM. This does makes modding a little more of a hassle but does not prevent it. A lot of people still think that you have to be continuously logged on to STEAM to run their games. NOT SO. (at least not now). I always run the STEAM games I have with STEAM in the Offline mode, In fact I have gone weeks if not months without logging onto STEAM and not had any issues playing their games offline. I do this intentionally because STEAM has the annoying habit of updating games automatically even if you set it not to. This can mess up a modded installation something awful.

I'd rather purchase games using the serial number system overall, but in a lot of cases, Silent Hunter being one example, STEAM is the next best thing.

I did a quick Wiki look on SF after I posted. I know it's Wiki and the posts could be by SF employees themselves, but apparently the company is still around. The client list is mainly Russian. They don't look to be too involved in games anymore.

It wasn't only Ubisoft who used them in that era. A lot of the biggies did. There were lawsuits over damage, mostly didn't go far. But as soon as you get any rep at all for hardware damage it's game over.
The Moose
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Do I have to be a 'subscriber' to continue to play? Or once I DL the game it's mine?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Moose -

Great to see another Silent Hunter III fan!

Finally got SHIII running on my Win10 machine today! Also have the Grey Wolves mod and SH Commander.

Looks like you have a more recent SH Commander - do you have a link?

Also, while I have SHIII up and running, can't get it to widescreen - any idea?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Do I have to be a 'subscriber' to continue to play? Or once I DL the game it's mine?

If you are referring to a STEAM download, No you don't have to be a 'subscriber' to play once you download it. You just have to set STEAM to "offline" mode, if you don't wish to log in to STEAM everytime you wish to play. At that point it will just prompt you whenever you start the game if you would like to play on-line or off-line. If you are not even on the web it will inform you so and go ahead and offer offline play.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

If you are referring to a STEAM download, No you don't have to be a 'subscriber' to play once you download it. You just have to set STEAM to "offline" mode, if you don't wish to log in to STEAM everytime you wish to play. At that point it will just prompt you whenever you start the game if you would like to play on-line or off-line. If you are not even on the web it will inform you so and go ahead and offer offline play.

Thank you, but no. I was referring to this site http://www.old-games.com.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thank you, but no. I was referring to this site http://www.old-games.com.

Cool. I'm waiting for a little more info on that site myself because I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want Great Naval Battles by SSI and it's listed with them.

IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Two ways to participate - you can subscribe to download for a day, or a month. Once that period is over, you can no longer download games, but the games you have are yours.
My monthly subscription ended, and the games that worked (included all GNB)still work fine. That's the difference between this and GoG - I've had 100% playability with GoG games downloaded. With this site, probably 70%.

Still worth my $8.95 to get GNB, Carrier Strike and Birth of the Federation - as well as a few others...
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Two ways to participate - you can subscribe to download for a day, or a month. Once that period is over, you can no longer download games, but the games you have are yours.
My monthly subscription ended, and the games that worked (included all GNB)still work fine. That's the difference between this and GoG - I've had 100% playability with GoG games downloaded. With this site, probably 70%.

Still worth my $8.95 to get GNB, Carrier Strike and Birth of the Federation - as well as a few others...

Did GNB come already set up to run or did it have to be manipulated with DOSBOX or something?

edit> never mind... I checked it out without having to download... Looks like most games have a Windows set-up download... Cool... Similar to GoG site.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Moose -

Finally got SHIII running on my Win10 machine today! Also have the Grey Wolves mod and SH Commander.

I've had that version of SH3 Commander for at least ten years. My best recollection is I got it off the Subsim.com sub sim gamer site. It still exists.

I'm in Win 7 home version. I just tested SH3 Commander launch. It will load in up to 1440 x 900 standard rez. Above that and I get an error box that says "3D engine failed to load." I right click on the desktop and change the rez before I launch SH3 Commander. It loads in wide-screen. The screenie below is of the rez below 1440 x 900. 1280 x 800. It's stretched, but playable. It fills my full monitor screen. 1440 is much better though.

I do get a toolbar message when launching Commander that Windows 7 has reverted to basic color scheme. That might be a thing in Win 10. Maybe try to load it in Win 7 or Win XP compatibility mode.

Attachments
sh3comm.jpg
sh3comm.jpg (188.48 KiB) Viewed 565 times
The Moose
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

There are two games I couldn't find, one is Birthright and the second is Destiny (old strategy game).

Btw they upgrade it to Win7, Win7 is bad. Hopefully they have it compatible with XP and Win10. You can run the game as admin and under XP though.

Birthright ?

I found it:
http://www.old-games.com/download/6057/ ... s-alliance

Regards
Anyone tried Birthright?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Moose -

Are you guys running directly under Windows (7 or 10) or DOSBOX ?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Silent Hunter was always a Windows game. You might be confusing it with Silent Service (by Microprose) which started as a DOS game.

I'm running the STEAM download version(s) of Silent Hunter (3, 4 and 5) under Windows 7 Pro.

Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Just looking at the strategy page, I found:
http://www.old-games.com/download/5034/7-cities-of-gold

7 cities of gold, the 80s version, is one of my favorite games of all time, I remember playing it as a kid. But probably better to stay away from it and keep the good memories as it is probably very outdated

I wish there were more "age of discovery" games out there;
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

7 cities of gold

Very tempted.
I wish there were more "age of discovery" games out there

Yeah.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

REALLY???? I've tried everything and seem to get no where with either 3 or 4 or 2 for that matter...

Yeah I think gog have them too, steam and gamersgate.
ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

There are two games I couldn't find, one is Birthright and the second is Destiny (old strategy game).

Btw they upgrade it to Win7, Win7 is bad. Hopefully they have it compatible with XP and Win10. You can run the game as admin and under XP though.

Birthright ?

I found it:
http://www.old-games.com/download/6057/ ... s-alliance

Regards
Anyone tried Birthright?

Nah I pass, I don't want nothing to do with that site. I still have my CD though from ebay, but only install and run under XP platform. So I cant install this game on modern pc :(

Some of my older games like Great Naval Battles III Fury in the Pacific will run, but have to set it up on DOSBox. Only two wouldn't install properly is Birthright and Destiny.
Hopefully Gog will fix that issues and have ready to download someday.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”