windows 10 compatibility testing

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Agathosdaimon

RE: windows 10 compatibility testing

Post by Agathosdaimon »

okay thanks for all this - quite alot to got through

i dont really know what codecs to keep or lose, i have a bunch of old games installed is i am big fan of old games - ones from the 90s and 2000s, maybe they have added to teh broken codecs or something?

regarding those files you had listed of Dinohorde, goat and deadeffect - those are all games on steam i have played briefly this week, so i am not sure what their listing means. those games all played fine.

also what drivers are not up to date? my nvidia ones, true i havent updated them since prior to upgrading so you recommend this?

regarding the intel card - i am never sure how to even update these, but also i did check and it seems that card is upto date driver wise i think

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

a clean install maybe what is needed but can you tell me where i can find the easiest instructions on how to do this, because i do not know how to do it.

also i havent removed the old windows install yet because i still am wondering whether just to go back to windows 7
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to- ... indows-10/

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean ... 1720775893

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-cl ... windows-10

pick one you understand the most, just download the tool and image etc for me, making sure you have the latest one, and back what you need before you start
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

a clean install maybe what is needed but can you tell me where i can find the easiest instructions on how to do this, because i do not know how to do it.

also i havent removed the old windows install yet because i still am wondering whether just to go back to windows 7

before going through and doing a clean windows install, you might want to check the PCO log file. I think once you do a clean Windows 10 install, you won't have your Win 7 files to allow you to go back.

Rick
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i will check that out to see, if there is a logfile there, but if not, i may do a rollback to windows 7 rather than a clean install, though first i will also upgrade my nvidia drivers to see if that fixes anything
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

there is no logfile in the ostfront folder, so i will upgrade the nvidia drivers

i wish i could try a clean install, but then if it doesnt work, go back to windows 7 - i hate that it is either or
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

well the nvidia card update didnt work and so i think i will go back to windows 7 and leave windows 10 until i need it, even though i will have to pay for it then, but so be it,
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

on the same hardware it's free, as you have done the update / upgrade once, so as long as you don't change too much hardware it will work again when your ready to upgrade, there servers keep a copy of your hardware etc, so won't be an issue or problem at a later date.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

oh right thats interesting - well i have gone back to windows 7 now, but it seems the ostfront non start issue has come back from the other side with me - please can you tell me at all what exactly may be causing this from the dx file - you mentioned alot of stuff but i am not sure what you were saying in relation to PzCO and what was just pointing out problems

i am really at my wits end as to what the so specific bug is that just pzco refuses to start
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the log file doesn't say much tbh, it gives clues and most is guess work, while the PCO log file is more game related and would be interesting to see, as then it would or could point to any issues like missing files or something else i'm sorry to say
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

yes, sadly i dont thik the problem is with the game, the way in which it goes briefly black, the screen i mean , when i hit play or doubleclick the exe, it is as though the game goes to load but closes down right away. i cannot for the life of e understand what could be causing this and why just this game - i can run games like GTA 5 as well as older ones like Age of Sail 2

could it be something quirk in the gfx?

is there a way to test for file conflicts or something?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

only was is safe mode or selective start up, and run it, then see with hardly anything running, what if anything is the cause, might be something as simple as a codec or file error, but to check for it is something else and not that easy either, a uninstall and reinstall fixes everything, as not only does it makes sure all files are back in place, it also puts in the pre requisite are installed with the game as well, apart from going into the folder and reinstalling them there's not much else left to try
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

when you say an uninstall and reinstall fixes everything - what are you referring to? i have done many uninstalls and reinstalls now of ostfront and still not working - it is inexplicable, i mean just test a game with a similar style engine - Combat Mission Black Sea and it runs fine
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

I found the cause!

i dont know why but once i changed my language to English (Australia) the game now starts and plays fine! the setting was before was English (United States) - why would this seemingly innocuous difference be so vital for PzO?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

country codes alter the txt displayed maybe
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

I found the cause!

i dont know why but once i changed my language to English (Australia) the game now starts and plays fine! the setting was before was English (United States) - why would this seemingly innocuous difference be so vital for PzO?

I'm glad you got it fixed, though I have no idea why that would cause your problem. I know my system is set for English - United States. But there seems to be a lot of seemingly trivial things that end up causing big problems.I'll have to remember this though for the next time. Thanks for posting the resolution.

Thanks!
Rick
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

what got me onto it was that i realised i was wrong when saying i couldnt find the log file - i was looking for a file in the main directory silly me, when in fact there is a folder for it right there in there, so i looked at that log file and noticed in some of the loading errors that there was mention of date/time/region settings, so i just then made the changes in my comp settings and viola it works beautifully now! wonderful game, glad i can play it once again!

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”