Death6

The Tide is Turning, 2011

Post by Death6 »

Gaddafi Loyalists vs. Anti-Gaddafi Forces

Date/Time:
19th March 2011 - 06:30:00 Zulu / 07:30:00 Local Time

Playable Sides: Gaddafi Loyalists, France

Background

In a recently concluded address broadcast on Libyan state radio, Muammar Gaddafi offered a grim warning to residents of Benghazi, the center of the rebellion seeking to topple the Gaddafi regime: “We are coming tonight, and there will be no mercy.” The past week has seen troops loyal to Gaddafi march closer to Benghazi, Libya’s second city with a population of roughly a million people. They’ve deployed airpower and heavy artillery against a string of towns once held by rebels, reclaiming strategic coastal cities one by one. The death toll is unknown.

Political map of Libya. Green: Loyalist Forces / Red: Opposition Forces

Now, ahead of a pivotal vote in the U.N. Security Council that may place a no-fly zone over Libya and prompt international air strikes on Gaddafi’s forces, the dictator who has ruled for 41 years insists his victory at hand. He demanded Benghazi residents turn on the rebel fighters and chillingly told the city to expect their homes to be searched for “traitors,” house by house, “alley by alley.”

After the heady, exuberant initial success of the anti-Gadaffi rebellion, the government counteroffensive has been swift and ruthless. The latest town to fall was Ajbadiyah; rebel fighters and residents streamed out of the city on the road to Benghazi, fleeing tank and mortar fire.

But Benghazi — larger, more populous, and the most significant base for the opposition movement — will prove far trickier to capture. Observers expect the rebels to put up a last stand here, and a bloody siege may only spur the slow-moving international community to finally intervene.

Scenario Notes

This scenario is about using the tools that have been given to you so it is not intended to play with unlimited magazines. Read through the briefing in detail to have a better grip on the situation.

Good luck!

Credits

Scenario Creator: Death6
Death6

RE: The Tide is Turning

Post by Death6 »

Scenario Images

Gaddafi Loyalists Assets

Benghazi Offensive Land Units:

Armoured Force

4x Armored Plt (T-72 MBT x 3)

2x Armored Plt (T-62 MBT x 4)

4x Mech Inf Plt (BMP-1 [AT-3 Sagger A] IFV x 3)

1x Mech Inf Plt (BMD-1P [AT-5 Spandrel] IFV x 3)

3x Motor Rifle Plt (BTR-60PB APC x 4)

Support Force

1x Loyalist Infantry Division

1x Loyalist Observation Post

1x Loyalist Recon Section

14x Armed Technicals

Artillery Force

1x Arty Bty (122mm/38 D-30 2A18 Towed Howitzer x 6)

1x Arty Bty (122mm/36 2S1 Gvozdika M1974 Self-Propelled Howitzer x 3)

1x Arty Bty (155mm/41 Palmaria Self-Propelled Howitzer x 3)

1x Arty Bty (152mm/34 2S3 Akatsiya M1973 Self-Propelled Howitzer x 4)

1x Arty Bty (BM-21 Grad MLRS x 4)

Anti Air Force

2x AAA Plt/2 (23mm ZSU-23-4 Shilka) (4 Total)

2x SAM Plt (SA-13 Gopher [9K35 Strela-10]) (4 Total)

2x SAM Bn/2 (SA-8b Gecko Mod-1 [9K33M3 Osa-AK]) (2 Total)

1x SAM Bn (SA-6b Gainful [2K12 Kub]) (2 Total)

Qaminis Forward Operating Base:

1x AAA Bty (57mm ZSU-57-2 x4)

1x Building (Heliport)

1x Building (Communication Hub)

2x Building (Guard post)

6x Building (Watch Tower)

1x Structure (Forward Operating Base)

Sirte-Ghardabiya Airbase Air Force Units:

13x Su-22M Fitter F

5x MiG-25P Foxbat A

3x MiG-23BN Flogger H

5x Mi-24V Hind E

5x Su-24MK Fencer D

3x MiG-21bis Fishbed L

Air Base AA Defence Section

1x SAM Bn (SA-5c Gammon [S-200M Vega M], 2x Bn)

Air Base Radar

1x Radar (Bar Lock A [P-37]

1x Radar (Big Back [5N69])

Libyan Naval Division

1x [Pr.1159 Koni]

213 Al Ghardabia

1x [PR.1234E Nanuchka II]

418 Ain Zaara

--

Download Link Below as Attachment (Version: Alpha 0.15)
Attachments
The Tide Is Turning.zip
(400.12 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Death6

Post by Death6 »

Scenario is still WIP. This thread is made to see if there is any interest for a scenario like this. It will also be posted to the Workshop after the first alpha release is complete.
magi

Post by magi »

Vici Supreme

Post by Vici Supreme »

This looks amazing! Too bad I'm away from my pc for the next two days. Will fire it up when I get home and report back.
Tancredo

Post by Tancredo »

I'm already interested!
Death6

Post by Death6 »

Great to see interest. I already sunk 20 hours in to it. It's progressing well. This one has extra complexities.
Vici Supreme

Post by Vici Supreme »

Lol. Finally got home and just saw that the scenario has not been released yet. [:D] Looking forward to this one.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Very cool look scenario.

Mike
Death6

Post by Death6 »

Hey all. So it's been about 50 hours in to this. I might as well share this early unfinished preview to get some thoughts. Now this is very rough. The scoring system is not even in. This is just to playtest. I just want feedback mainly on balancing and anything that is out of order, wrong or unfitting.

Thanks for all the good messages and help! [8D]

Updated to Version 0.15
Attachments
The Tide Is Turning.zip
(400.12 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
magi

Post by magi »

ill check this out.....
magi

Post by magi »

im just looking at this.... a few observations on the french side... some are personal...

i would like to have control of all coalition forces....
the french task force formation is not very good... being in line as it is....
i believe having the french and coalition proficiency setting at veteran is more reasonable...
the tanker track is unnecessarily large... i put it SE of sigonella and made it around 100nm long and a few miles deep...
i would turn on.. merge range-symbols...
the placement of coalition subs seems unreal....
some how the coalition forces know where all the gaddafi assets are... i dont understand why...
even though there is little sub threat... for realism sake i believe there should be some organic asw air assets with the surface/task groups
with the french task group... it seems that there would be a few air to air loadouts on a few aircraft... if there was any air threat at all...

im into it for 30 minutes of game time and the coalition fleet isnt even moving.....
Rocksoldier

Post by Rocksoldier »

Cool, i'll give this one a try!

Death6

Post by Death6 »

ORIGINAL: magi

im just looking at this.... a few observations on the french side... some are personal...

i would like to have control of all coalition forces....
the french task force formation is not very good... being in line as it is....
i believe having the french and coalition proficiency setting at veteran is more reasonable...
the tanker track is unnecessarily large... i put it SE of sigonella and made it around 100nm long and a few miles deep...
i would turn on.. merge range-symbols...
the placement of coalition subs seems unreal....
some how the coalition forces know where all the gaddafi assets are... i dont understand why...
even though there is little sub threat... for realism sake i believe there should be some organic asw air assets with the surface/task groups
with the french task group... it seems that there would be a few air to air loadouts on a few aircraft... if there was any air threat at all...

im into it for 30 minutes of game time and the coalition fleet isnt even moving.....

Hello Magi. I will take your feedback in for the next version.

Let's take this one step at a time.

Control of all coalition forces
is not included in the design of the mission. Only Gaddafi Loyalists and France will be playable. The France player is in charge of all air and naval assets france had for operation Harmattan.
the french task force formation is not very good Any alternative suggestions? I am open to ideas. I do lack naval military formation information.
i believe having the french and coalition proficiency setting at veteran is more reasonable... Sounds good. Will add it to the next release.
the tanker track is unnecessarily large. Agreed will make it smaller
i would turn on.. merge range-symbols... Good point. Will do it.
the placement of coalition subs seems unreal. Any suggestions of how they would be placed?
some how the coalition forces know where all the gaddafi assets are... i dont understand why. I ran in to this issue as well looking in to a way to make sure they forget that info. Need some help on this.
for realism sake i believe there should be some organic asw air assets with the surface/task groups Good point will look in to this.
with the french task group... it seems that there would be a few air to air loadouts on a few aircraft. Will add up some new AA loadouts for 0.2 release.
magi

Post by magi »

well.... i have been fooling around with this its been kinda fun.... im trying to learn to design a scenarios so this is good practice... whether it is useful is your call...

its a personal preference... however i believe scenarios with basic doctrinal assets.. if available... should be up up at the start is more realistic.... like.. recon/intel/ISTAR.. AEW.. Some ASW... some air defenders... etc etc... your briefing states that the operation had been planed for months... so its reasonable that the basics would be in order... i believe it also adds more ambiance to the play.... you dont really have to have the objective missions edited.. that can be left to the player.. although in this case it is understandable as different sides can be played and they can be changed in game...

gunners scenarios are a fine example of this... you should check how they start at curtain call...

formations should be heading in a reasonable path direction at the start or they get all helter skelter...
formation composition should be somewhat thoughtful.. follow basic doctrine and have some design to them... there is a lot of personal preference in formation design and its one of the things a lot of players will modify... but at lest have the hi value units be more in the center with some air shooters near to defend them and the best ASW unit out front in the path of intended motion....

i set the french task force up as an example... its conservative but ok at this point in the mission...

there is some good information on formation composition in the FAQ section.. its from HARPOON on formations...

some valuable air assets should really be out of harms way... like AEW..ELINT..Tankers..etc etc.. so i moved their patrol areas...

i i took all but one of the subs out of the fleet formation... but placed them approximately equal distance from the target so there would be decent TOT for the mission strike to keep it simple....

in formation editor i saw that there is a mission deactivation time... i thought it would be cool to assign the unites from operation odyssey dawn to another patrol mission after they launched their strike... but i dont know if i can make it happen.... im going to ask the guys...

this is pretty fun... playing it now... waiting for the big strike to launch....

your doing good....

magi

Post by magi »

sorry death.... forgot to include the attachment above.... its just some ideas... i dont want to be pushy or rude....

i dont understand why the french.. coalition and anti gadaffi arnt sharing information....

Attachments
TheTideI..idemoc.zip
(492.91 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
magi

Post by magi »

Zulu 08:44.....

i pretty much have stooped the advance on benghazi.... it took all the available strikers... even going in with guns at a 1000 ft alt.... i did go on the rebel side and activated their air patrols.... i did add a super etendard recon asset to patrol south of the rebels.... actually the rafales m has pretty good sensors and would have done fine.... i also had a mq9 reaper in the area because i wanted to see how good they are and they were probably used in this event....

i dont know why targeting info wasnt being shared between coalition/rebel/french.... it could be my game was getting a bit weird.... i checked the settings and they seemed ok....

i dont understand why after 250 whatever Tomahawk strike all the bloody s200 gammon sites still seem to be fine... and now i have to go into sirte with no oecm stuff... it might be bloody...
166x UGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
12x UGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM
84x RGM-109C Tomahawk Blk II TLAM-C
28x RGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM-C
14x UGM-109C Tomahawk Blk III TLAM
8x UGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM

i now have the florida retiring to the north back towards the bay of naples for munitions and supplies....
the rest of TF odyssey dawn with two subs are going south toward Tripoli to patrol and gunfire the stink out of anything it can hit on the coast...
the providence is going to patrol off sirte...

i split a destroyer and two frigates of the french group and they are heading south to sirte naval base to do what ever damage they can... the main body of TF473 is going to benghazi...

at the moment there is a red flight of heading to benghazi to strike the rebles i asume... im having to recall some of my rafale's that were rtb to block them....

sooo..... all in all even though ive manipulated your scenario severily... im having a jolly good time at it..... i do love playing in editor mode....
magi

Post by magi »

death.... come back....
Death6

Post by Death6 »

Thanks for the feedback Magi. I was away for a few days so couldn't look in to it. Will take a look asap. Thanks for the file suggestion!
magi

Post by magi »

Okidokie.....

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”