Vildebeest Load?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Gridley380

Vildebeest Load?

Post by Gridley380 »

So, I belatedly realized today that despite carefully insuring the base HQa had plenty of torps, etc., my Vildebeests weren't flying naval attack.

Hmm... showing "using torpedoes" in the right color, check, naval attack, morale 99, drop tanks on, plenty of supply at the base, good leader...

Yes, some of you have probably already spotted the problem.

I finally clicked on the aircraft info. Wait a second - where are the torpedoes? This thing has guns and a 100gal drop tank! Must be a database error. Exit game, load editor... hmm... that shows a torpedo device. OK, check against stock... same aircraft data. Huh. Maybe they don't have torps in the game in stock? OK, load up Scenario 1... they have torps. WTH? Reload my game. Wait... drop tanks are off when you start a stock game. That can't be it, can it? Click. Yes, yes it can. When you tell Vildebeests to fly with drop tanks they carry nothing more deadly than a .303 British MG... and still show as using torpedoes on the main squadron display.

Question for Commonwealth aircraft experts out there - is this right? It does seem plausible that the Vildebeest had one hardpoint, which could carry a torpedo OR a bomb OR a drop tank, and the tank option does give you extra range if you want to do ferry flights or naval search missions.

Question for others smarter and/or wiser than me - are there other aircraft out there that *completely* dump their primary armament when you use drop tanks?
BBfanboy

RE: Vildebeest Load?

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

So, I belatedly realized today that despite carefully insuring the base HQa had plenty of torps, etc., my Vildebeests weren't flying naval attack.

Hmm... showing "using torpedoes" in the right color, check, naval attack, morale 99, drop tanks on, plenty of supply at the base, good leader...

Yes, some of you have probably already spotted the problem.

I finally clicked on the aircraft info. Wait a second - where are the torpedoes? This thing has guns and a 100gal drop tank! Must be a database error. Exit game, load editor... hmm... that shows a torpedo device. OK, check against stock... same aircraft data. Huh. Maybe they don't have torps in the game in stock? OK, load up Scenario 1... they have torps. WTH? Reload my game. Wait... drop tanks are off when you start a stock game. That can't be it, can it? Click. Yes, yes it can. When you tell Vildebeests to fly with drop tanks they carry nothing more deadly than a .303 British MG... and still show as using torpedoes on the main squadron display.

Question for Commonwealth aircraft experts out there - is this right? It does seem plausible that the Vildebeest had one hardpoint, which could carry a torpedo OR a bomb OR a drop tank, and the tank option does give you extra range if you want to do ferry flights or naval search missions.

Question for others smarter and/or wiser than me - are there other aircraft out there that *completely* dump their primary armament when you use drop tanks?
Lots of aircraft have a reduced weapon load or no weapon load when they carry extra fuel in drop tanks. It isn't just a matter of using the weapon hardpoints for a drop tank - it's the extra weight of the fuel.

Since torpedoes are among the heaviest weapons in the game, a single engine TB is extremely sensitive to extra weight and cannot usually carry a torpedo out to full attack range. The TBD Devastator never seems to fly more than three hexes with a torpedo if the weather is not perfect. Beaufighters and Catalinas are more tolerant of weather while carrying torpedoes.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

RE: Vildebeest Load?

Post by Alfred »

Yes, it is WAD.

This thread deals with the exact same issue re Vildebeest not carrying torpedoes when flying beyond normal range.

Alfred

Return to “The War Room”