FIFTY SHADES OF WiTE: SILLYFLOWER V BRIANG

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

HITMAN202

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

Post by HITMAN202 »

With less need for AP's (have you put any units in STATIC mode ??? I've not seen it used in late 42-43 AAR's), why not start building a Maginot-like network in front and behind major rivers ?? Set Fortified zones at 50 % TOE (about 700 troops) and let them slowly build. At 4 AP a pop you could use 1/2 of each turn's AP supply to build 3-4 a turn. 4 Fortified zones a turn x 50 turns would create an impressive network at minimal manpower expense. I've seen the late 44- early 45 massive defense buildup close to Berlin, but not earlier, or focused on d-lines in Russia, particularly in the vast,vulnerable clear terrain in the Ukraine.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I think David has ambitions of total victory (260 VP). So spending resources on defensive works is not in the game plan.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I think David has ambitions of total victory (260 VP). So spending resources on defensive works is not in the game plan.

Yes this is over.

Brian really played below his normal game here.

Losing Moscow is game set match 99% of the time.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I agree Brian has a lost game and Sillyflower is administering the 'touché finale', but my question still stands... should the German commander commit a large number of AP's beginning in '42 to set up a extensive fortified zone network ??/ I haven't seen it. Also is the use of Static mode a thing of the past ??
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202
Also is the use of Static mode a thing of the past ??

I don't think Static mode was ever a real option (apart for the Russians in the very early incarnations of the game) as there is no real benefit to be had by doing it, in fact it could be considered to be a suicide move as it allows mobile forces to surround pocket & destroy any static units that they catch. AFAIK the reason why large areas of the eastern front were static was because the trucks were needed elsewhere as there were not enough available, which is not a real problem with the current logistic model for WitE. Though from what I have read on WitE2 on other posts that particular problem may be a non issue
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

I agree Brian has a lost game and Sillyflower is administering the 'touché finale', but my question still stands... should the German commander commit a large number of AP's beginning in '42 to set up a extensive fortified zone network ??/ I haven't seen it. Also is the use of Static mode a thing of the past ??

not lost yet as the swine continues to cut me off.

All my manpower goes into front line troops every turn and I have no wish to weaken them by putting them into forts. Would have built forts to protect key rail lines from partisans, but that tactic no longer works since a recent patch.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T56

Another supply disaster down south

as Brian uses tank corps as suicide squads. Perhaps an unintended consequence of getting them back without any/minimal AP cost but can't blame him. Sadly 1 tank xxx routed away as soon as I tried to herd it, but the other will pay the ultimate price. FBDs repair the broken rail line.
As a result, no material progress towards Baku but another inf xx surrounded down there.
Attachments
BT56cauc.jpg
BT56cauc.jpg (792.43 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Rostov

His massed tank lunge is now securely pocketed. Sadly, the herding process resulted in 1 tank xx routing out, but a rescuing tank x has joined the pocket. 4th Panzer Army troops start to make their presence felt as they have at last been allocated trains.Axis allies also reached the area in time to be put in the front line.

Rostov made as secure as I can, but I ran out of troops. I should be alright tho' unless Stalin gets lucky.
Attachments
BT56sth.jpg
BT56sth.jpg (836.8 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Last, and least, the north

Just some tidying up, securing the river line and continuing to feed 4 PzA mobile units southwards. Made easier by the shortening of my lines up here during the recent offensive.
Attachments
BT56N.jpg
BT56N.jpg (918.38 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Before I go further, I must issue a public apology to Bozo, so I hope he's still reading this AAR

Earlier, I criticised his '42 Caucasus O vs Stef for an important omission. I had in mind his failure to bomb Baku's port to put the Bolsheviks out of supply. However, I now realise that Baku is a supply source, so doing that would have little effect, so I won't be doing it either....
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Time for some more stats

Attachments
BT56loss.jpg
BT56loss.jpg (548.17 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

air

Attachments
BT56air.jpg
BT56air.jpg (497.73 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Destroyed units

Attachments
BT56units.jpg
BT56units.jpg (535.65 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Resulting in the following OOB

Attachments
BT56orbat.jpg
BT56orbat.jpg (510.86 KiB) Viewed 119 times
web exchange

Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Before I go further, I must issue a public apology to Bozo, so I hope he's still reading this AAR

I accept your apology. However, you are probably referring to Bobo not Bozo. [:D]

I also play a game against Stef but I doubt I will make it to Baku.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Another apology to Bobo...................
web exchange

821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Yep I am reading it.
Apology accepted [;)]
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Thoughts on T56

The lack of petrol down south is very annoying. Under the old rules, Brian's unit losses would be causing an existential problem for him, but we aren't and he's making the most of the freebie return rule by using weak tank xxx as suicide commandos. The reduction in ability to rail units is also a problem as it means that I don't have as many units to defend the rail lines as I need. Hopefully, I now have just enough.

I should add that I'm not complaining about the new rules - they are preventing a cakewalk which is good for the game.

@ Hitman - you will note that I'm disbanding unwanted forts rather than building more. I want those chaps in the front line.
web exchange

HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I understand that end-of-war German defensive line is not a concern, in your well-played game. Since you are precise in your thoughts (and comments) your need is not in soldiers (manpower - + 3.8 mill !!) but in more units.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

My reputation for precision is unsullied Dr T [:-]. I need more men in the units I have. The German active pool empties every turn and I have about 33K German arms points spare each turn. Average German combat unit TOE probably 85-90% - though that doesn't mean short by that many men for some reason. My inf xx that was surrounded for several turns near Rostov was said to be 50-60% TOE when relieved (I forgot the actual number) but had about 80% of its manpower.
web exchange

Return to “After Action Reports”