Homerun, 1956 Scenario questions from a noob

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dfox071

Homerun, 1956 Scenario questions from a noob

Post by Dfox071 »

This is my first post, so if I've posted in the wrong form of something else, please let me know.

I'm having difficulty with the Homerun, 1956 scenario, which I believe to be based on this report:

(Link not allowed) just Google B-47 Overflight of Russia for the PDF.

Basically, I'm to fly two RB-47H's over the Soviet controlled shores of the Barents Sea to catalog Soviet air defenses.

The mission states that most Soviet interceptors of the time were day only, and to adjust my mission accordingly. Initially, I was flying the mission during the day, and having mastered the avoidance of the SAMs have been getting completely trounced by the MiGs (MiG-17 D and E models).

So, per the mission hint, I tried at night, only to find it made no difference whatsoever. At this point I looked at the mission in the editor and found something that I'm wondering is a mistake or not. I'm hopeful for some help from the forum posters as to how to complete this mission, and whether or not it's currently broken.

The thing, specifically, that I'm wondering about is that the MiGs are listed in the DB as day/night capable - contrary to the suggestion from the mission briefing. This day/night capability seems to stem from the loadout carrying the AA-1a Alkali missile. According to the Wiki, this missile didn't enter service until 1957, so I'm wondering if the scenario may have gotten messed up over time from a DB change or if this is the way it's supposed to be. When reviewing the above mentioned PDF, it's clear that the real mission, done in 1954, would not have been a success had the Soviet interceptors been carrying the Alkalis.

So, if anyone would like to offer suggestions for completing the mission, I'd be greatly appreciative. Currently, I can find no way to survive the night capable, Alkali carrying MiG-17s.
mikmykWS

RE: Homerun, 1956 Scenario questions from a noob

Post by mikmykWS »

Might be an error but I'd contact the scenario author and have a nice talk on this. I'm sure they'd like the feedback.

As a work around you go into the scenario editor and edit the loadouts or aircraft to be gun only? It is really simple to do this.

Mike
Dfox071

Post by Dfox071 »

Thanks much for the reply. I had thought of changing the MiGs, but I didn't want to "cheat" per se if this is the way the mission is supposed to be.

I sent a PM to the author, who appears to be Patmanaut.

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Pat's a good guy. If he's around he'll help you out.

Mike
Dfox071

Post by Dfox071 »

Yep. He's already responded, and I'm trying to assist with recommendations for night capable fighters that don't have the Alkali because it wasn't introduced until 1957.

The front runner seems to be the Yak-25M, but I can't find any information to determine if it is realistic to have it based in the Barents in 1956. This interceptor was widely used though, so I think it's a pretty good fit for the intent of the scenario. Obviously, he will decide what's best for the scenario.

I should also take the time to point out that I really like these early cold war scenarios. I think it helps me to ease into the later complexity. This scenario in particular, I think it's been interesting to learn to navigate the RB-47s close enough to get painted by the SAMs, but not too close :)
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Hi

Dfox, maybe you are new to scenario design, but clearly you have made a better research than me.
You are right on all your findings about the USSR fighter capability timeline.
When I've released this scenario time ago, some players commented it was too easy, so I probably went to far to please them and made some DB inaccuracies.
Please, feel free to experiment with the editor with all my scenarios.

Patricio

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”