Can the AI handle more complex production requirements?

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

Can the AI handle more complex production requirements?

Post by GaryChildress »

Working on a personal scenario where I plan on having the following regime slot items:

1. Oil
2. Ore
3. Raw Materials
4. Manpower

In order to create 1 unit of supplies, a regime would require 1 oil, 1 ore and 1 raw materials. Also all combat units will require manpower and raw materials and/or ore to produce.

My question before I undertake the chore of setting all this up is, does anyone know if the AI will be able to handle such a setup or would it be too complex for the AI?

ernieschwitz

RE: Can the AI handle more complex production requirements?

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think that Vic will need to answer this.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks, Ernie. I'll see if Vic is lurking about and answers. :)
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I think the answer is "it depends". If it is a resource that the AI must decide to produce, I believe the answer is no, although, there might be some algorithms that check for dependencies and then tries to set production. I tend to think not due to the fact that it is reported that late in some games, the AI has trouble producing supplies for its units. But, I am not sure. I can see how it would be possible to check for requirements on production and then adjust. It would basically have to be an adaptive loop. As far as to whether the AI is limited by the resource needs. In principle, yes. There is an event that is called to make the AI's production resource compliant. Thus, I think the production would be adjusted to make it compliant to the available resources. Namely, what is in the inventory (which, by the way should be a regime variable). If you have sources for these resources, then the resources will increase each turn, and be consumed with production. The AI will likely not be able to take the resources into account when deciding what to build, but will be limited by available resources with the resource compliant event. On the other hand, if the the resources need to be produced, you will need to make events to make this happen.

If you have sources that need to be upgraded or somehow improved, you will need to write events that will do this. Currently, the AI actually gets a resource bonus each turn, and every turn has a well defined probability to upgrade each oil and ore resource. You would have to add your sources to this event.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Vic

Post by Vic »

Probably the best way to approach this is to accept your design is going to work differently for the AI than a human player.

Maybe even by only allowing supply production for the AI and manually giving SFTypes, oil and PP to the AI based on the number of locations is owns.

My estimate is that this approach will give the best results.

As a bonus such an approach would allow for the scripter to let the AI use more varied equipment or add AI personalities who use different kinds of equipment.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Many thanks for the info, Vic and Ormand. [:)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”