AAR Bavarian Balloon - user scenario (mine)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

vettim89

AAR Bavarian Balloon - user scenario (mine)

Post by vettim89 »

2 June 1989 0400

The balloon has gone up. This is a scenario I have designed as a possible initial step to a campaign. The premise of this scenario is to represent the first eight hours of war. The Soviet 8 GCA is sending the 27th Guards MRD ahead to reduce NATO forces covering the area just west of the inter-German border. The 27th MRD will arrive in stages based on a standard Soviet road march. It will be the three MRR up with the TR trailing to exploit the weakest point (and the AI seems to figure that out). The march order will show the Recon on map at scenarios start followed by the Advanced Guard at 15 minutes. The rest of the regiments follow on considering a 5 km gap and a 30 km rate of advance. DIVARTY is off map but REGAGs will deploy on map. In addition, there is a Army 152 mm BTN allocated for the first hour of the game to represent pre-assault bombardment.

The US forces are a Squadron of the 11th ACR RGT screening a balanced TF of Mech INF/Armor. It is supported by a BTN of M109s, a squadron of AH-1F, and two batteries of M110s. The helos and big guns appear as reinforcements. Four sections of A-10s rotate on and off the map throughout the game.

This basically represents the point in the battle where both sides can bring their "A" game. It assumes in the wake of the Soviet coup that the government and Army will need time to consolidate their hold and purge the ranks of dissidents. NATO is able to detect the build up and has a month to start reinforcement. Because this is a NATO scenario, I did not include NBC warfare as from what I have read, the AI struggles with those weapons

The purpose of this AAR is largely for critique. Would love if scenario designers would chime in on ideas to make the scenario better.

Attachments
ballonbriefing1.jpg
ballonbriefing1.jpg (216.89 KiB) Viewed 266 times
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
vettim89

Set Up

Post by vettim89 »

So the ArmCav squadron is spread across the map in screening positions. All the M3s are set to screen orders and the M1s are set to hold. Lots of improved positions available as NATO ENG have had a month. TF Broadway is set up behind the Cav covering the most likely avenues of approach. They are all on "hold" orders in improved positions.

Attachments
ballonset.jpg
ballonset.jpg (215.28 KiB) Viewed 267 times
vettim89

First orders phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time 0521

Recon elements have appeared and spooked the M3 units that are marked. I may try this again with some of these units on "hold" to see if it make much difference.

Attachments
balloon1.jpg
balloon1.jpg (315.72 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Third Orders phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time 0502

The Advanced Guard of the southern most MRR has reached the obstacle/mine barrier. M1 fire has reduce it to less than 50% effectiveness. The MRD attack helos are moving in the center of the map. I lost a Cav Platoon but the AI lost an entire Mi24 unit. The northern MRR seems confused as to which route it wants to take through the barrier

Attachments
ballon3_0502.jpg
ballon3_0502.jpg (370.6 KiB) Viewed 267 times
vettim89

Fourth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time 0523

* The Advance Guard of the 244th GMRR has been destroyed. The next echelon will appear this phase.

* One of the things I love about this game is that the AI will choose different paths with multiple plays of the same scenario. Here the 68th GMRR chooses to veer DW instead of going down the road in the middle of the map in previous plays.

* The M1A1 on the south end of the map are low on ammo with one PTN already in resupply. As the enemy is still nearly 10 K off they will hold for one more phase then displace. In previous plays I found that even though they are killers, if they stay in place too long the just get overwhelmed. Cav's job is to screen and attrit, not stand in fight.

* Elements of both A Troop and C Troop are ordered to fall back as the enemy closes

* My A10 unit tried to go deep and ran into the bulk of the 243rd GMRRR AA. One plane was shot down and the other aborted.

Attachments
balloon0523.jpg
balloon0523.jpg (468.32 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Fifth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0545.

The 244th GMRR is organized now and advancing on two fronts. Elements of C Troop are screening south. The C Troop tanks will displace now to support this sector.

The 6th GMRR seems to be aiming SW in force. The tanks of B Troop will pull back now also to get them in place to cover B Coy, TF Broadway as they advance on Eichenhausen

Recon in the middle of the map seems content to hold for now

Attachments
ballon_0545S.jpg
ballon_0545S.jpg (465.71 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Fifth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

Up north the 243 GMRR is very disorganized and has led its assault with artillery. Elements of A Troop were caught in the open trying to get out and I lost two PTN of M3s.

Artillery is beating up A COy, TF Broadway pretty badly. Not much I can do.

Attachments
balloon_0545N.jpg
balloon_0545N.jpg (349.72 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Sixth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0607

To the south the BTR MRR is split with the remnants of two BTN probing for a weak point north of teh large woods. There is a reinforced MRB along the southern edge of the map. A-10 strike on this formation was aborted due to heavy AA fire. I ordered ICM strikes against both mine hexes where the lead elements are hung up.

FASCAM ordered just west of the crossroad in anticipation of the BMP RGT moving this way. I reoriented the tanks of D Troop to protect the valley in the map center

Attachments
balloon_0607S.jpg
balloon_0607S.jpg (380.59 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Sixth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

Up north the 243rd GMRR is in disarray. A&C Coys of TF Broadway are holding here with back up from the remnants of A Troop

Attachments
balloon_0607N.jpg
balloon_0607N.jpg (171.18 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Seventh Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0629

* Weather closes in so no A-10 strikes.

* The MRR up north continues to probe and is met by fire across the river.

* The BM-21 arrive and killed 4 M1A1 in two hexes and eliminate 1st PTN, A Coy

* The BMP MRR is cued up for a push in the middle of the map

* The BTR BTN is lost in the mist to the south. ICM attacks killed about 10 units

* I delayed moving my tanks one phase too long and their movement orders keep getting reset. Only one PTN is actually doing what I want.

Attachments
balloon_0629.jpg
balloon_0629.jpg (347.02 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Eighth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0652 Weather: light rain 2000m

This is the point where the game gets dicey.

* The first elements of the Tank RGT have appeared.

* The remnants of the BTR RGT are pushing through Eichenhausen

* The Recon elements of the MRB have appeared

Attachments
balloon_0652_S.jpg
balloon_0652_S.jpg (466.48 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Eighth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

* Visibility fell to 500m during the last phase. The Soviets managed to get a Tank Coy across the river during that period. If I fail to kill it, he can cause problems if he breaks west from there. I have the road to the SW well covered

* I think I can handle the rest

* The two tank PTN from A Troop still haven't completed their ordered move. They would have been able to prevent that tank Coy from crossing.

Attachments
balloon_0652_N.jpg
balloon_0652_N.jpg (420.17 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Ninth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0716 Weather: clear 6250 m

Lots of doubt here. To the south my Cav units are slowing the BTR BTN. A-10 strikes killed 7 of the T-80s in this formation which helps a lot. AH are being moved into position to intervene. The lead BTN of the Tank RGT is almost in engagement range. There is a Mech Coy plus a Tank Coy and supporting AH to meet them.

TF Broadway has largely been unengaged so they are fresh. The Arm Cav units that remain are about spent. I waited too long to have them move back.

Attachments
balloon_0716_S.jpg
balloon_0716_S.jpg (463.63 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Ninth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

A bunch of dismounted INF has crossed the river. These units are all depleted. If they kill that last Recon squad, I will pound the snot out of them with artillery. I know I can hit them now but it just feels dirty to drop HE rounds on your own little digital troops

The attack in the center is about done but in typical AI/Soviet fashion, they troops press on to the death

Attachments
balloon_0716_N.jpg
balloon_0716_N.jpg (356.81 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Ninth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

con'd

TacOps Center screen with reported/claimed kills. So the three MRR are nearly destroyed. Their accompanying tanks are about gone too. Unfortunately the 27th GMRD still has 150 T-80s to through at me. This is not done yet

Attachments
balloon_0716_score.jpg
balloon_0716_score.jpg (177.26 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

Tenth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0741 Weather: clear 6250 m

One of the T-80 broke SW and was destroyed. All those units across the river are either HQ of SA-14. The remaining T-80 appears to breaking west . Just bits and pieces left up here.

A COy, TF Broadway is about gone. However C, Coy is nearly intact

Attachments
balloon_0741_N.jpg
balloon_0741_N.jpg (424.99 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

RE: Tenth Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

Moment of truth time. Hard to say for sure what is moving in the south central zone. The TacOps Center say I killed 49 tanks that phase. Cursor intel say 36 remain in the engaged area. I will pour all my artillery and remaining air power into the circled area this phase. If I do not stop the tanks, there is nothing behind this line of defense

The Recon unit that was doing so well holding up that MRB died this phase so I have lost sight of them completely

Attachments
balloon_0741_S.jpg
balloon_0741_S.jpg (421.37 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

11th Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time: 0808 Weather: clear 6250 m

Well my units took a beating. B Coy, TF Broadway is combat ineffective. According to the TOC, my units destroyed 84 Soviet tanks in the last 45 minutes. There is still another reinforce BTN of T-80s out there that look like they are marshaling for a final push

I am surprised the 70% auto-end did not kick in. This may be the last phase

Attachments
balloon_0808.jpg
balloon_0808.jpg (472.97 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

12th Orders Phase

Post by vettim89 »

Time 0833 Weather: clear 6500 m

Well auto-end did not kick in. Arty and A-10s destroyed another eight T-80s. That's 98/144 in the Tank RGT. 27th MRD has got to be hanging by a thread

Attachments
balloon_0833score.jpg
balloon_0833score.jpg (168.98 KiB) Viewed 266 times
vettim89

End Game

Post by vettim89 »

Hit the button, killed a Recon Helo and game ended. Kils are as above plus one helo

Here's the Eval

Attachments
balloon_end_eval.jpg
balloon_end_eval.jpg (256.42 KiB) Viewed 266 times

Return to “After Action Report”